ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 PM

Hi Kate,

It appears were both from Colorado and both got Mobi-C's at the same levels. We just used different surgeons. Congratulations on your new Mobi-C's. Looks like you are doing well. My surgery was a success too! Welcome!
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 02-11-2015, 01:55 AM

Harrison - Thanks for sharing the links. I am so happy your adr has lasted so long and kept you healthy. I did check in with Patel and they told me the no nsaid (aside from a baby aspirin they have me taking to prevent blood clots) is allowed in my case. He said he would explain in more detail at my six week followup but basically my neck was more messed up than the MRI showed and my surgery lasted quite a while....maybe 4 hours because of all the technicalities and especially because of the way one of the discs was so far into my spinal cord. He doesn't want any additional bleeding risk that can happen with nsaids for the next six months. He said after that I can NSAID away. He also said in my case he wants to see a lot of ossification. He didn't say why. I have somewhat frail bone structure and a family history of osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. I have DDD.

Gene - you should definitely reach out to Vikas Patel to see if he can help you. I do hope you find relief soon. I know Patel has been doing ADRs and other less invasive/latest techniques. Here is a link to his bio....you can click through all the links. It is pretty impressive. A few interesting points about him include that his undergrad degree was in mechanical engineering. I liked that. He understands the mechanics/physics involved in the spine and in physics/mechanics of the various implants that can be used to help the spine. He then went to medical school. He did his fellowship in Santa Monica with the team that pretty much pioneered a lot of the best techniques in spinal surgery. He is the chief surgeon in his department at the top teaching hospital in Colorado so he is into the latest stuff. Plus he is just plain nice to boot. He supports alternative medicine including use of medicinal marijuana instead of narcotics as a patient feels comfortable. But he will also prescribe any big pharma drug needed to help his patients. He has an open mind and makes his decisions based on the latest research...not on what they taught 10 years ago. There are so many other wonderful surgeons in addition to him that you should get opinions from....sounds like the surgeons who worked on many of the ladies here who also had ADR with mobi-c discs had really great outcomes. Vikas Patel, M.D. | Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation | University of Colorado Denver

Kelly - you are my hero doing so well so quickly. I just hope I can do half as well as you and I will be so happy. Please post any tips on any things you do that you think are making your recovery go so well.

Coloradobabe - I am so happy for you that you are doing so great with your mobi-cs!!! We should have a mobi-c ski trip or something with everyone on here who has them sometime next year. That would be fun! Please also share any tips you think helped in your recovery. I truly appreciate it.

JSS - thanks for the support.
C6-C7
Lifelong runner, skier, and mountaineer, plenty of falls skiing/mountaineering
Pain started in my 20s
Dx with tendonitis in my forearms in 20s
Neck and shoulder pain worsened in late 30s
Did chiro, accupuncture, spinal injections, dry needling, medication, CBD tinctures, traditional physical therapy
When those therapies no longer helped enough, I decided to go for ADR