ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Spider bite?

Well, I just got back from urgent care, getting checked for what I thought was a "spider bite," that I, perhaps, received up at the cabin last weekend. It got worse and worse, more swollen, red, extremely painful. Turns out I have Shingles. Have never in my life had this diagnosis. I am so shocked. Supposedly, can be aggravated by stress, pain, compromised immune systems, etc. It is on the left side of my neck, and has now traveled to my ear, scalp, and down my left shoulder. The urgent care doc put me on an anti-viral medication, taken 5 times a day, and a topical cream. Now my question is: can they do surgery with this diagnosis?? I just received a voicemail this afternoon that my surgery date is Wednesday, July 2nd. Do these pustules need to be crusted over first, before I could go under the knife? And talk about, what a way to ruin the 4th of July holiday, by being in the hospital. I left a message with the doc's medical secretary about pushing surgery, if possible, after the 4th holiday weekend, but natch, she never called me back today. Needless to say, my uppity and bright spirit has taken a nosedive.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Geez Judy... sorry. They will most likely wait until the virus subsides (~3-5 weeks). BTW, Lyrica is FDA approved for shingles related pain.

I hope things get better!
Justin
Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Cindy,

Terrible news, and very strange...were you properly tested properly for Lyme? Geez, I would hope so!? If you have a minute, do a search for "spider bite" in the "subject only" field on this site:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimat...?ubb=forum;f=1

You will find tons of useful information from patients first-hand. It is alarming, but it is better to read now than later. Time is of the essence.

I'll send you a PM soon. Sorry about the news.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Justin brings up a great point (As Usual ) with the Lyrica. I think that is a wonder drug and is very useful in resolving nerve related pain.

There must be a black cloud following you around lately CindyLou. Did you piss off the Big Guy Upstairs or anything? .

I hope everything starts going in a more positive direction for you.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 05-21-2008, 08:27 PM

Are you saying the urgent care doc diagnosed it wrong?? I have taken 4 of the anti-viral medications, and the rash has spread more, not slowed down. I thought if it was shingles, it would not cross the midline. This has now spread underneath both of my breasts (crossing the midsection) and is now going down my trunk, this evening. I don't know what to do. Go back to urgent care for consistency, or try to get in to my regular PA for lyme testing? My plate was already full with major surgery around the corner again, but it just flooded, and my anxiety is rising exponentially.
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Ok, I decided to try and get in to my dermatologist today, as I was not convinced it was shingles. They fit me right in once I explained my rash, and its rapid spreading. My dermatologist looked at it and said, it's not shingles. It's poison ivy! She also took a biopsy of it and I'll have those results tomorrow. She put me on some stronge prednisone to kick in fast, and a strong, topical cortizone cream. She also told me if I don't turn a corner within 24 hours, to fill the script she gave me for anti-biotics. So, I feel better knowing what it really is. I was gardening up at the cabin, but didn't think I was anywhere near poison ivy. The trees are barely leafed out yet up there, and no ground cover was leafed out yet. I was planting native Minnesota grasses like blue stem, along with a variety of other perrenials. I remember pulling up some runners to make way for my plantings, and can only assume now that those were the runners from the poison ivy. Smart. Not. I also remember wiping my neck and brow a lot, from the sweat. Double dumb. So, there you have it. Surgery is still on for July 2nd. I called to ask them to change the date, but she said only for an emergency. I wasn't sure wanting to have one last weekend over the 4th of July with my family constituted an emergency in her book, but it certainly fit the bill in mine! That's it. Sleep well everyone or......good morning, if you're across the pond!
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

Glad you got the correct diagnosis. Something didn't seem right when I signed off last night, as I was thinking to myself that shingles usually involves a rash starting at the trunk. With the "spider bite" you mentioned, I thought about lyme, but it didn't sound like it either (especially considering the description of the rash).

Well, the prednisone should definitely help. Here's for no more bumps in the road!

Justin
Old 05-23-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin:
Well, the prednisone should definitely help. Here's for no more bumps in the road!

Justin
And no more bumps on you! .

You've had too many things go wrong lately CindyLou. I'm in Iowa currently for a funeral of a dear friend's father. I am sending some good karma up there your way.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 AM

Thank-you both, Justin and Terry. A nice side benefit from the prednisone treating my poison ivy is.....boy, am I getting some nice relief from my back/hip! I'm gonna take this relief, stuff it in my back pocket, and run with it, while it lasts! Have a nice Memorial Day weekend everyone. Me...up at the cabin? Yes. Gardening? Not!
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Administrator

This is a five-year-old topic. I've been trying to help people understand how pervasive Lyme Disease is (been in all states for years) and how most go undiagnosed (current diagnostics are limited to screen for one of 37+ virulent strains). In New England (et al), most ticks transmit other diseases (co-infections).

In retrospect, it's absurd to read Justin's post about pushing Lyrica. He was always very vocal about my attempts to discuss Lyme disease and its role in joint disease. And sadly, the prednisone that Cindy took only suppressed her immune function more -- exactly the opposite of what was needed. How many patients' lives have been ruined in this country from steroids? I read about them every day!

Please read from the beginning of topic.

This article is dated, but I think it's a good reminder. I've spoken with far too many Lyme Disease patients in the past few months. This disease is epidemic. And people need to understand that it can invade EVERY part of the human body (see second abstract).

Ann Emerg Med. 2002 May;39(5):558-61.
Lyme disease masquerading as brown recluse spider bite.
Osterhoudt KC, Zaoutis T, Zorc JJ.

Poison Control Center, the Division of Emergency Medicine, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

Abstract

We report a case of Lyme disease with clinical features resembling those described from brown recluse spider bites. The most striking manifestation was a necrotic skin wound. Brown recluse spider bites may be overdiagnosed in some geographic regions. Tick bite and infection with Borrelia burgdorferi should be considered in the differential diagnosis of necrotic arachnidism in regions endemic for Lyme disease.

Comment in
The diagnosis of brown recluse spider bite is overused for dermonecrotic wounds of uncertain etiology. [Ann Emerg Med. 2002]
PMID: 11973566 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2012 Oct-Dec;116(4):1101-5.

Lyme disease - unusual medical encounter for an urologist.

Ciută C, Nechifor V, Tomac I, Miron A, Novac B, Novac C.

University of Medicine and Pharmacy Grigore T Popa Iasi, Faculty of Medicine.

Abstract

Lyme disease also called ,the illness with a thousand faces" ("The Great Imitator") because it may mimic very well the symptoms and signs of other diseases, is an unusual medical encounter for the urologist. Every patient with Lyme disease has his own clinical feature, while the superposition over an unknown but easy to discover urological disease may lead to a misdiagnosis.

CASE PRESENTATION: Male patient A. P. was an emergency transfer in our clinic with multiple system organ failure. The mirage of first imaging finding, bilateral obstructive ureteral calculi was obviated after the serological confirmation of Lyme disease suspected after the thorough history obtained from his family. The intensive care treatment, broad-spectrum antibiotics and hemodialysis sessions, together with external urinary drainage, lead to the improvement of the patient status, and subsequent proper urological treatment to urolithiasis cure.

CONCLUSIONS: This case identifies several challenges faced by practitioners, challenges which involve the diagnosis and the treatment of Lyme disease associated with urolithiasis.

Although Lyme disease remains a controversial clinical entity, its diagnosis is based on a history of possible exposure to ticks, the appearance of specific clinical symptoms, whether or not combined with serological tests.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate