ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

Apache,
In talking w/my Nurse Case Manager Friday she was saying that UR probably isn't going to approve the two level Prodisc ADR as it's still considered a trial..

I think at this point if I had the $$ I'd do this in Germany as this WC is the slowest boat going to China...

Will keep you informed re my consultation w/ADR surgeon this Thurs..
Old 03-31-2006, 03:17 AM

APACHE I ALSO CAN NOT ADD MUCH TO THE REPLY EXCEPT HANG IN THERE. I HAVE HAD 2 LAMENCTOMIES ATL4L5 WITH LITTLE SUCCESS I AM NOW CONSIDERING DISC REPLACEMENT IN STAED OF FUSION. I DONT THINK PEOPLE REA;IZE THAT BACK PROBLEMS ARE HEREDITARY AND EVEN THOUGH YOU R SONS WERE IN ACCIDENTS IT WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN, THIS IS WHAT IM FINDING OUT FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME DIRECTLY I AM NEEDING THE SAME FUSION YOU HAD EXCEPT IT IS AT L4L5AND S1 I AM VERY INTERESTED IN HEARING HOW YOU ARE DOING AND ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY IT WOULD MEAN ALOT TO ME TO GET INSIGHT FROMYOU.
TINA YOUNG
EMAIL YOUNGSTERY@AOL.COM CANT WAIT TI HEAR FROM YA
Old 04-06-2006, 09:33 PM

Tina,
DDD can be hereditary and typically sets in after 40years or so. Somehow your rationalization that back problems were "bound to happen" to my young sons doesn't make me feel any better nor make any sense.

I wander if you had a loved one who had a family history of lets say.. heart disease and it typically sets in when they are over 40 years old. Now, imagine this loved one is 21 years old & is very concious of eating right & exercising because she knows her family history. One day she is accidentally gased by an overturned tanker truck on the highway and inhaling the toxic gas caused irrepairable heart damage. Now everybody knows that she would likely have heart disease one day because practically all the other family members had it. However, those who loved her had hoped that it wouldn't strike her or maybe by the time she was 40ish (20 yrs from now)medicine would be able to cure the disease & maybe even prevent it. Alot, can happen in 20 years, you know.

I'll bet that you would be very distraught that your loved one (say she's your daughter)gets to start dealing with heart problems at 21 instead of the typical 41. You might even be concerned that when she is age 41, what she'll deal with then.

Now, I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that you might not appreciate nor understand why someone would tell you that since your daughter has a family history of heart disease and even though she was in an unfortunate accident the heart problems were "bound to happen".

The above story can be substituted with anything that typically starts during middle-age: arthritus, diabetes, Degenerative Disc Disease, etc. You are certainly not the first person that has expressed this same conclusion - that severe back problems were coming anyway. Apparently, you are a very pragmatic person which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, it tends to take away a person's hope & that really hurts.

Let me conclude with this quote: �Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Apache

P.S. Joshua's fusion is scheduled for April 26th. He decided because of the constraints of dealing with WC and the fact that he wants to get on with his life, this was his only option.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Apache, wow, a lot is going on with you and Josh! Congrats on the milestone. Decisions are never easy, and at least progress has been made. I hope all goes well!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the well wishes. This will be his 2nd fusion in less than 3 yrs. He hopes to be away from WC & able to have ADR on the L3-L4 in a couple of years when it has to be replaced. Of course, I wish that he could have had ADR now.

Please remember Joshua in your prayers.

Apache
Old 04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Banned

Apache,
Joshua has my support and prayers regarding the fusion that it will work for him and relieve his pain, allow him to return to a normal functioning lifestyle, able to fulfill all of his responsibilities and to enjoy life to the max~

Meanwhile I hope WC will soon approve ADR so that Josh and I won't be stuck getting completely fused lumbar (or any other) spinal segments, and/or WC will loosen up and let someone spend their own $ to go abroad to have surgery and leave our benefits intact!!!

Truly, my heartfelt prayers for Josh. Remember to remind us of his surgical date so we can say a prayer and/or send positive thoughts/energy the day of his surgery~

Maria
Old 04-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Hi Maria,

Thank you for being so helpful during this trying time for us. I have truly felt the genuine concern and understanding from everyone in this support group and it has helped me cope.

The time is near for Joshua's fusion surgery. He says he is looking forward to getting some much needed sleep - I believe he is as mentally prepared, as he can be. It will be Wednesday, April 26th starting at 9:30 a.m (cst) at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, FL. Dr. Wolfe is the neurosurgeon. It is expected to last as long as 6 hours; he'll be in the hospital 5-6 days and the doc wants him to recuperate for 6 mos.

Please lift Joshua up in your prayers and send him positive thoughts and energy on Wednesday. I personally believe in the power of prayer and also know we need all the positive energy flowing we can get, because we need a miracle to happen on Wednesday, for Joshua!

Thank you, in advance for remembering him all day on Wednesday. Your thoughts & prayers are very much appreciated. I will let you all know how he is doing, as soon after the surgery as I can.

Thanks again,
Aleta - (Apache is my horse's name & favorite alias)
Old 04-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Banned

Hi Aleta,
Good to hear from you and thank you for updating us on Joshua's surgical plans. I will most definately keep him in my prayers for a completely successful surgery and recovery~
Please let us know how he's doing~
take care, Maria
Old 04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Aleta,

I have been following this thread for awhile--sorry I didn't chime in earlier. I will lift Joshua and your family in prayer. I commend his courage. He is very lucky to have such a supportive and loving family.

Justin
Old 04-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks Maria & Justin and all the other folks that are supporting and praying for Josh. I feel all of your prayers even though we've never talked directly.

The incision will be in a v shape on his back & be very large. The surgeon is going to remove excessive scar tissue from the previous surgery & may have to disassemble some of the previous implements to connect the new stuff to.

My family & I deeply appreciate all of your thoughts, prayers and support for a successful surgery & recovery.

Aleta