ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 PM

Default Set for TDR Prodisc-L @ l4-l5 - Dr Kevin Gill UT Southwestern Medical Center. 03/03

Good evening everyone. As I stated in my title, I'm set for TDR Prodisc-L @ l4-l5 from Dr Kevin Gill UT Southwestern Medical Center on 03/03. Does anyone have any direct experience with Dr. Gill? I've never had surgery before and am scared, they have been very nice all the way thru. I'm most worried about the moments waking up from surgery. I'm 34/m. BCBS finally approved my procedure early this week, they had said no once before in 2009. It was really a shock, we were not expecting them to approve me. I had been getting cortisone injections to try and manage my pain up to this point. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

9mm disc protrusion at l4/l5

Constant sharp/throbbing at all times, made worse when standing or walking
Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 PM

DFW,

If you'll use the search feature you'll see that Dr Gill has been mentioned on this site a number of times. The few hits I looked at didn't have surgery with him. If you'll go through that exercise you may find some that had surgery with him. If you'll spend some time reading in the Surgical Outcomes forum you'll get an idea of what to expect after a lumbar ADR. BTW: I've heard that the recovery is a son-of-a-gun.

Good luck on the 3rd. Please let us know how it goes.

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
DFW,

If you'll use the search feature you'll see that Dr Gill has been mentioned on this site a number of times. The few hits I looked at didn't have surgery with him. If you'll go through that exercise you may find some that had surgery with him. If you'll spend some time reading in the Surgical Outcomes forum you'll get an idea of what to expect after a lumbar ADR. BTW: I've heard that the recovery is a son-of-a-gun.

Good luck on the 3rd. Please let us know how it goes.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, I had thought to do that (I'm sorry for not mentioning it in my post) but because of the limited search returns I just wanted to throw it out in the open just in case. Your comment regarding recovery sent chills down my spine. (no pun intended)

9mm disc protrusion at l4/l5

Constant sharp/throbbing at all times, made worse when standing or walking
Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 AM

Hi DFW,

Congrats on the insurance covering the tdr. Post op lumbar distraction pain can be quite bad. I've experienced it. From what I understand not everyone will get it, and if they do it varies as to how bad it is. Things can be done to mitigate the pain if you get it. Even if you get distraction pain it will go away over time.