ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 AM

Hi Brewster,

I'm from Calgary Alberta and my spine doctor told me not to get surgery because of the chance it could make me worse... How about that for confidence. There's zero chance I'd get surgery in Canada. I was offered a hybrid ADR here in Calgary, which shocked me but I'd still much rather go to Germany for ADR and pay the money. I have a couple treatments I want to try first but I just have the feeling, eventually, I'll be getting ADR in Germany.

Sorry I can't help you with any of your questions Brewster as I am very new to the ADR game myself but I'm wondering about your pursuit in getting funding for a surgery over seas? How optimistic are you about getting funding for an over seas ADR surgery and how are you going to pursue something like this? I was thinking about asking my spine doctor about over seas surgical funding but I wonder if it would just go on deaf ears...
Max pain level: 6/10
Consistant pain level: 3/10
Walking and sitting is the worst
Do I currently need ADR: No but investigating because the pain just keeps getting worse.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 AM

Hi Brewster and tryinghard,

I'm from Winnipeg and was told/warned by my pain doctor not to go for surgery. He warned me he may not see me again. Obviously the word got out as I left his office as everyone was looking at me in horror and whispering to each other. Yeah, that made me feel good. Our plans were made, nothing he was going to say would stop us.
I would AVOID any back surgery in Canada like the plague. Our doctors and medical system is simply not evolved enough.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 AM

Brewster,

I know that back spasim feeling where you feel your going down. I actually went down with the pain in a grocery store and had to have an ambulance take me to the hospital when I was in my 30's.
While you are going through doctors opinions and stuff, you might want to look at getting a good back brace and a cane. It may be something you hesitate to do but they can help to avoid that spasm.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the support guys. LOL, ADR in Alberta, looks like it's in BC as well. Given that it's all over Europe, the US and in a couple of provinces, I'm more convinced that the docs here vetoed it for monetary reasons.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 PM

Hi Brewster,

I know of one doctor here in Manitoba doing ADRs. I was told of him quite early in my research, obviously I wanted to save $$$. Anyway he just started with single level ADRs. And he used a disc, that I'm told was only good for 5 years.
He was actually known to my pain doctor, he and I agreed that going to him would be a big mistake.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Just returned from my Dr's office, LOL, our wonderful system has me set up for an appointment with a surgeon on Feb6th. Dr. says if the surgeon can do anything it will be 3-4 months to the OR. That's 6 months, if I don't have some sort of paralysis before then. I will not go through the ordeal my wife had with her fullon fusion, Minimally Invasive Surgery or nothing. It makes me laugh when I hear people say how good our system is, when it comes to our backbone we are in the stone age.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 AM

Ok folks, I need the name(s) of US based doctors, who is recommended? I contacted TBI, they said they would get back to me and never did,
I contacted them again when I received the MRI disc, still no reply. Part of applying for ins' assistance here is to have an end destination in place.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Default Onz

I sent my 3 CD's to Germany, Malte came back with the following. My neck shows evidence of autofusion and they recommend PT, not surgery.
For the Lumbar they suggest an anterior ADR at one level and TOPS by Premia Spine at the next level.
I did a search on TOPS by Premia Spine, their procedure is different but it is not allowed to be sold or used in the US, let alone Canada.
If there are potential problems with subsequent care on ADR's it would be non-existent with TOPS. I'm done with overseas and will search for an answer south of the border.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM

What a dilemma. Did TBI ever get back to you?

I would encourage you to not give up on Dr Bierstedt so quickly. He's given you his opinion for your medically best option. He certainly understands that medical considerations are not the only inputs to one's medical case. Once he understands your problem of getting help once you've returned home, he's liable to agree to adjust his prescription accordingly.
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 AM

I guess when I told TBI that I was going for insurance they put me on ignore. I have to say I'm impressed with the way ONZ treats it's potential patients, tho' there's been no answer to my last communication. Like I said, I'm going to test the spinal waters just south of the border, can they be better than what's available here?