ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
... I'm going to test the spinal waters just south of the border, can they be better than what's available here?
I've never seen a kind word posted about Canadian spine care.
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 02-21-2014, 12:24 PM

Default Pain management

Went to the surgeon, he said laminectomy and likely fusion. I said no thank you, my blood pressure would not survive the long healing process. My GP then sent my info to UHN , they seem to promote MISS, they said no.
I'm very concerned about the time, 1 1/2 yrs, I've spent on Tylenol and T2, Advil, Aleve etc.
Any suggestions re pain mgnt?
And MISS, anyone gone through it?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:03 PM

Hey guys, FYI...I had successful ADR (L5 S1) surgery Oct 26, 2012 in Calgary Albeta, Canada....let me know if you need more info...cheers and good luck.
Massage, chiro
4 shots, no relief
Ct, 3mri's
all activities stopped, day by day
DDD @ L5 S1
Examined by 3 surgeons,
Consulted with 2 out of country surg, all reco ADR
Surgery Oct. 26, 2012 by Dr. Bouchard, Pro Disc L
Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Dean,

That's great news! Congratulations and good luck on the continuing excellent outcome. I'll make sure and pass your surgeon information on to the next Canadian that shows up here.

Congratulations and good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 02-22-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDean View Post
Hey guys, FYI...I had successful ADR (L5 S1) surgery Oct 26, 2012 in Calgary Albeta, Canada....let me know if you need more info...cheers and good luck.
Hi CanadianDean,

Great news about your success thus far with your ADR. This is also great news for me because I was given a referral to Dr.Bouchard by Dr.Soumbasis from Calio health. I'm probably gonna have to wait over a year before I hit the OR. But it shouldn't be too bad a wait for me (knock on wood).

Dr Soumbasis even said that Dr Bouchard is using the M6 which blew my socks off, I just couldn't believe it. So if I'm offered the surgery I'll probably take it. I just hope Dr Bouchard has developed his skills by then?? Which it sounds like he has by your successful result. It's really great to have this option.

What do you know about Dr Bouchard? How many ADR procedures has he done? And with what ADR's?

Thanks for sharing your success
Max pain level: 6/10
Consistant pain level: 3/10
Walking and sitting is the worst
Do I currently need ADR: No but investigating because the pain just keeps getting worse.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 AM

OK guys, ADR anywhere in Canada is good news. How does one get in touch with Dr. Bouchard.
Do you two live in Alberta and does your provincial medical cover the procedures?

Last edited by Brewster; 02-22-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 PM

Hey Brewster,

Yes I live in Calgary, Alberta and the procedure would be totally covered by Alberta Health Care. I'm not sure if your province would cover another provincial surgical procedure. But I'm sure you would have a lot more success for coverage instead of overseas or in the States.

I've never heard of anyone getting reimbursed by our health care system for out of country procedures, UNLESS, emergencies happen while abroad, especially if you have work insurance.

You can look up Calio health online and there is everything you need right there. Dr Bouchard has a profile on the site and everything.
Max pain level: 6/10
Consistant pain level: 3/10
Walking and sitting is the worst
Do I currently need ADR: No but investigating because the pain just keeps getting worse.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the reply TH. I sent a message to the Alberta Spine Foundation and they did not reply, apparently Dr. Bouchard is involved there as well. If your OR date is a year away perhaps they're swamped with patients and aren't interested in out of province folks. The good thing I've found is that MISS is apparently covered here by our provincial health care.
I can't seem to get a timely solution to my problem in Canada so it may help in getting support in the US.
I believe that's important, when I wake up I have to hold on to the walls and bannister to get downstairs, the pain is excruciating.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM

OK folks, it's crunch time. Can anybody direct me to a surgeon in the US, preferably close to our border. I will fly but prefer not to.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 PM

Dr. Richard Wohns. He works out of Puyallup and Seattle, WA. He's an excellent neurosurgeon. You can find his info at brainspinepro.com
Nov. 2013 2 more Prodiscs at C3-4 & C4-5