ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Banned

How'd anybody do this??
I used to do 400 crunches/day prior to my 2nd spine surgery besides the rest of the workout.
Was tight/lean.. now I'm a bit more padded shall we say~
Can no longer do crunches even the most mild as my lumbar area seems to go crazy and will lay me up for days so I just prefer to be upright and walking with softer abs tho...
Am wondering if anyone was able to keep theirs in shape or get them there, and if so, what exercises did you do? Isometric or any other...
Old 02-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Marria, for me it was swimming. I can not return to it right now (long story, some other time...) 'Just started rowing - that will work your core!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-01-2005, 07:35 PM

When doing abs with a bad back keep the spine in a slightly arched position, NOT flexion as this will kill your disc, keep the disc area that is damaged "tight" do not use it when contracting abs.

Whenever muscles are involved in exercises you must mentally concentratae on the muscle....squeeze them.

Get one of those exercise balls (medium sized one), and yes there is the potential of it flinging you across the room, as it has done to me several times...just roll with it and follow it, do not fight the direction you are being flung into and go into it with your back following your hips....(actually I have enjoyed this!)anyway...when using the exercise ball keep your lower back tight w/ the slight arch, stretch the entire abdominal area and then squeeze the abdomen into the contracted position - within 30-50 reps your abs should be pumped, work up to 5 sets 30-50 reps.

Floor crunches can be done the same way, make sure the legs are not too bent and the hips not to close to the item you have your legs resting on, as this will cause too much flexion in the lower spine area.

I find the exercise ball to feel a little better on the back, it is really important to be self-aware in your own musculature and how muscles are designed to perform.

I am a personal trainer and bodybuilder by the way, if anybody has any questions regarding any other exercise inquiries feel free to ask me.

Andro1111
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 AM

I know those symptoms very well. I don't have them since ADR.

There was an exercise I could do before ADR. It was one (of 4) prescribed to my friend by a Cleveland Clinic surgeon after a double level lami. You stand with hands clasped behind your back. Then from the waist you arch backwards (extension) as if looking up a tall building. Hold for 30 sec. Repeat ? times. Do 2 sets each day. Supposedly it strengthens the deep abs. I could do it alright, I just never could decide if it was helping.

I was able to do face up leg lifts and crunches while in a home made traction rig. Without traction these exercises were impossible for the very reasons you mention, that is the pain would rocket up and not leave for days. Out of desparation I was too aggressive with these traction assisted abs exercises and herniated both sides of lower abdomen. I gave up on abs exercises.

What about the major back muscles? A surgeon told me the 'superman' is clinically proven to help. When I added motion and 'scissored' I had noticeable improvement. If you know what I mean.

Jim
Old 02-02-2005, 05:41 AM

For me it was swimming also, not only did it get me into a good condition, but it helped me to lose weight.

Something like swimming also helps your aerobic and cardiac situation
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 02-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Jim

for major back muscles, I am currently doing wide grip chin-ups and a variety of pulldown movements with different bar attachments, when performing these, lean into the pad and pull downward first with the scapula(shrugging motion), then proceed to pull w/ the arms, do NOT flex the abdominal area forward, this will cause spinal compression.

Andro1111
Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Jim, Laura, et al...

Does anyone know if any of these great ideas are captured on video? DVD, VHS, etc.? Have any clinics started to do this on video?

Laura, that's a very kind offer to help...

Thx
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-02-2005, 10:36 AM

I was thinking about producing a video or at least some photos of my workout routine for pre and post ADR exercise routines and make it available for everyone.

Post ADR I am definitely going to post my workouts after the procedure, I will start back 4 months post-op, I already have a routine devised for post ADR.

As far as clinics in the US doing this... to be blunt they will not have a clue on which exercises to do and should not do, nor will they have a clue on the type of equipment to use.

Laura
Old 02-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

thanks for the replies all..
I cannot swim much since my 2nd spine surgery. I used to swim in an Olympic pool, laps for a half hour- hour either daily or 3x/week.
The last times I've attempted swimming I have ended up with the same problem, severe lumbar spasms requiring bedrest for at least a few days.
Not sure what happened to me after the second surgery as that was back in '92 but it seems the movement of my hips from kicking is a big problem... I haven't tried flippers which might greatly reduce the effort I put into my kick..
I tried using a stronger stroke but it didn't make much diff... the kicking just seemed to kick off back spams after about 10-15 mins and my right arm/shoulder started hurting (like bursitis).

Too bad, I have always loved swimming. So this and dancing other than a tad seem to be activities I've been unable to resume.

Have the exercise ball and found it to be safe to work with provided I don't let it get away from me (sitting on it and doing an exercise where the ball slipped away and down I went..and some other goofy things I did ~

I think I could do the "don't do this" part of an exercise film but that would hurt too much!

Alastair, I'm 5'2" and I weigh 114 so I'm not too bad off with weight...