ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Products - Aureus Medical – Wirbelsäulen-Implantate
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 02-20-2015, 08:59 PM

Default Open

Do not usually do an open recommendation, get blasted every time I do, but I could recommend Bierstedt/Ilherhaus.

I have a 'hybrid', but not by choice.

L45, M6, and the L51 (should have been an M6) but ended up with a Fusion, PLIF, getting stronger all the time.

It is not a quick heal time, the ALIF might be quicker.

But everyone is different, and depends, what condition you are in, once you decide to have the surgery done.

There is another on here, may be others, that have had three level, M6, TPatti, I believe.

Once it is done, the pain goes away, quickly.

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:56 AM

I have submitted forms to Clavel and initiated contact with Zeegers. I looked up Bierstedt and plan to contact him next week. I'm not going to make any final decisions until I have their recommendations as well. I've also forwarded Stenum's plan to my primary neurosurgeon for his opinion. I'll keep folks posted.

3 micro discectomies since

Lumbar DDD at L3-S1

Young children, so quality of life is important.

Last edited by Olds455; 02-25-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: type at make
Old 02-21-2015, 10:46 AM

Olds,

Some notes on doing the L5/S1 fusion in the US with your insurance carrier participating, and then doing the L4/5 ADR in Europe at a later time...

Every time we go under anesthesia and into surgery, we incur risk. Having two surgeries where you could have had one, especially in close proximities where the second surgery will have to deal with scar tissue and adhesions left by the first, the risk increases. Also, the recovery from an anterior approach spine surgery is by all accounts on this web site, a son-of-a-gun. They are very painful and have long recoveries. Because access at that level is more difficult posteriorly, many surgeons do that procedure with an anterior approach; so you may have to go through that torture twice. Having the fusion and ADR done during the same surgical session may not be the least costly option, but it is safer.

I'm a huge fan of European ADRs (I've even had one) and of the implants they use over there (I have two of them). But if I had the option today to pay out of pocket for a European lumbar hybrid or have my insurance cover a domestic hybrid with the surgeon of my choice ... if the surgeon is properly chosen, the latter can be as good an option as the former.

There are several risks inherent in a European surgery:
  • No protection from the US legal system if the need arises
  • If you come out of surgery worse than you went in (unusual, but it happens), getting back home could be a nightmare
  • Complications incur additional charges, and you'll be expected to pay at the time of service
  • If you need medical support upon returning home, many US doctors will not see you after a European surgery (even for a one year check up)
  • If you need revision months or years later, you may not find a US doctor with the training and instrumentation to deal with a non-FDA approved device, and will have to rely on him to 'wing-it' while operating on your spine

Don't misinterpret this as trying to dissuade you from a European surgery, because I really like that option. These are just some issues that I'd encourage you to weigh while deciding your course.

A 65 GTO? It sounds like y'all are customizing it bit. I'm assuming it's a manual four speed? Anyway, good luck with the car and finding the right surgeon, surgery, implant, etc...
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011

Last edited by jss; 02-21-2015 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Left out a risk
Old 02-21-2015, 05:42 PM

Olds,

Several people on these boards had multiple levels done in the U.S. with the Mobi-C disc, which, as I understand, has some shock absorption. It is approved by the FDA for multiple levels. Getting insurance to cover all of them might not be so easy. However, they might cover one level and the other one you could pay for out of pocket. This would be less expensive than going overseas and eliminates most of the good points that JSS brought regarding that. You might want to check postings from members, Kelly4ADR or Coloradogirl, both of whom had multiple levels done with this device. They had their surgeries done in Seattle, and Denver, respectively.

Best of luck!!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 AM

Jeff - I'd love for insurance to cover a hybrid domestically. Any solution would be a single operation. I am somewhat concerned about the longevity of the M6 since it's so complex. Insurance has requested I visit Duke. I've made the appointment but I've already confirmed they rarely do lumbar ADR.

I received a note from my primary doc. He stated he agrees with this course of action. I'm confident he'll handle any follow-ups. He's already doing so for a few other patients. He introduced me to a lady that had 5 lumbar replacements.

If I go overseas, though, I'm curious how insurance would treat domestic follow-ups or any other spine-related issues down the road.

What's the overall feel on this board regarding ProDisc-L?

The '65 was actually purchased with an automatic, but we've swapped in a 4-spd from a '64 parts car. If I can talk dad into the LS swap, we'd do a 6-spd.

3 micro discectomies since

Lumbar DDD at L3-S1

Young children, so quality of life is important.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 AM

Olds, there aren't a lot of ProDisc fans here because there are so many next generation choices that fix, mitigate, or at least attempt to mitigate, some of the issues that too often present with that device. But everyone here agrees that finding the right surgeon is infinitely more important than implant selection. As much as I'm not a fan of the Prodisc, I believe that the ProDisc/Zigler pair is as likely to give you a good outcome as any other surgeon/device pairing out there.

(If y'all drop an LS in there, please post a picture. I'd like to see that)
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 02-25-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
Olds,

Several people on these boards had multiple levels done in the U.S. with the Mobi-C disc, which, as I understand, has some shock absorption. It is approved by the FDA for multiple levels. Getting insurance to cover all of them might not be so easy. However, they might cover one level and the other one you could pay for out of pocket. This would be less expensive than going overseas and eliminates most of the good points that JSS brought regarding that. You might want to check postings from members, Kelly4ADR or Coloradogirl, both of whom had multiple levels done with this device. They had their surgeries done in Seattle, and Denver, respectively.

Best of luck!!

Gene
I also had cervical multi-level Mobi-C here in Colorado and a fusion in the lumbar. My surgery was on Oct 20th and I have been doing great. It took three appeals to get it approved but I won and my insurance paid all but $25.00
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 02-25-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Mobi -C

I almost had the mobi-L, (L51)would have gone to france, but the mobi-c does not have shock absorption, it has translation, this is similar to the slide motion disc movement, it more closely resembles the natural movement of the spine.

The center of rotation is not over the disc.

If you draw a circle from the center of the disc, and through each facet joint, then you will see the center.

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.