ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Approved for ADR but can't decide on type of disc I want

Hello everybody, I am new here. I have been on a wild goose chase for 1.5 years and I finally got an accurate diagnosis. I literally have tried everything includine prolo, stem cell injections, and every type of therapy. I am a PT but unable to work because I am basically disabled. I have been approved for ADR by 2 US surgeons (Dr. Pettine, inventor of Maverick, and Texas Back) and also by Dr. Clavel, Dr. Bierstedt, and Dr. Bertagnoli. At this time, I am so unsure of what to do. I have been highly advised due to my hypermobility not to get an M6 yet Clavel and Biestedt would only use that. Bertagnoli would use a Maverick if I wished but as you all know pushes ProDisc. Pettine would rather do a fusion but would consider a disc replacement. However, he highly discourages the M6 and discourages the Prodisc but all he can use is the Prodisc.

Since this is all being paid out of pocket if I go for it, I want the best disc that suites me yet every surgeon has their own opinion. I am confused and terrified to make this decision because it is ultimately mine.

Has anybody been diagnosed with hypermobility or Ehlers Danos here?
*After extensive testing, prolo therapy, and a stem cell injection into my disc it was determined I have severe DDD at L5-S1
*small annular tear L5-S1
*small central herniation L5-S1
*Been approved for ADR by 4-5 surgeons, one recommended fusion but ???????
Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Hypermobility or Ehlers Danlos and ADR

Has anybody here had an ADR that has been diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos or has general hypermobility? This is playing a huge part in my decision for surgery, yet I can not get a general consensus from any surgeon on this as they don't view connective tissue hypermobility like structural instability.
*After extensive testing, prolo therapy, and a stem cell injection into my disc it was determined I have severe DDD at L5-S1
Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 PM

Hi,

I don't have the knowledge to be able to weigh the pros and cons of disc type. I would say that very few people have that kind of knowledge. I picked the doctor I felt most comfortable with and let him make the call. They may be biosed in there choice but the pros and cons of disc type can make your head swim. Also you might want to search here to find out what others have to say.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Administrator

J, how was the hypermobility measured in your lumbar spine? Was retrolisthesis discussed with you? Was this measured/quantified in your imaging studies? Did you have any back pains (ever) prior to pregnancy?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Administrator

J, sorry, is this your diagnosis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehlers%...anlos_syndrome

This may be of interest to you, my interview with a doctor who knows the link between collagen-enzymes-infection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLWiH60BRDM

And all the other related videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ADRSupport/videos

In short, some collagen-based diseases involve or are caused my microbial infection. Many microbes create enzymes that degrade collagen; it's part of their survival program.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-19-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris View Post
Hi,

I don't have the knowledge to be able to weigh the pros and cons of disc type. I would say that very few people have that kind of knowledge. I picked the doctor I felt most comfortable with and let him make the call. They may be biosed in there choice but the pros and cons of disc type can make your head swim. Also you might want to search here to find out what others have to say.

Thanks for the advice. I do undertstand my head will totally spin if I want the pros and cons of all disc because there are many!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
J, how was the hypermobility measured in your lumbar spine? Was retrolisthesis discussed with you? Was this measured/quantified in your imaging studies? Did you have any back pains (ever) prior to pregnancy?
As a PT myself and seeing many other PTs, I have benign joint hypermobility syndrome from a standpoint of connective tissue and this was also diagnosed by a geneticist. But as for imaging, nothing shows structural types of spondys or anything like that. I think that is where doctors don't understand the importance or significance of our connective tissue system and how it can affect surgical outcomes. Many look at me like I am "crazy" when I mention connective tissue hypermobility. It is like it is totally impossible for them to think that has an affect. I just think so much is unknown about this subject but I have seen many failed surgeries most likely due to this as "structurally" surgery was a success. And yes, I did have very intermittent back pain before pregnancy that was not limiting and as long as my core was sufficiently strong, I had absolutely no problems at all.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
J, sorry, is this your diagnosis?

Ehlers–Danlos syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may be of interest to you, my interview with a doctor who knows the link between collagen-enzymes-infection:

Dr. Nicolas G. Loebel, Ondine Biomedical - YouTube

And all the other related videos:

biofilm - YouTube

In short, some collagen-based diseases involve or are caused my microbial infection. Many microbes create enzymes that degrade collagen; it's part of their survival program.

I don't have an official EDS diagnosis and while I have characteristic of the hypermobility types 1-3. I have some subtle characteristics of the type which is life threatening but I didn't get tested. My diagnosis is benign joint hypermobility syndrome. I am a generally very lax person with increased ROM. It is a concern for me with an ADR and Dr. Clavel told me if I have EDS I can't have an ADR but need a fusion instead. Other doctors have said I can still have an ADR. It just gets really confusing with many different opinions.

Thanks for the videos!