ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Default You matter...

Even though this article seems to weight "peer reviewed" more than your experiences, it's interesting to see how "internet sites" (perhaps as this one) can be denigrated:
"...Study results showed all 105 websites highlighted the benefits of vertebroplasty, but 53% outlined any risks of the procedure. While 74% referenced appropriate indications, 45% discussed any contraindications and 51% mentioned alternative treatments.

Researchers also found that 27% of the websites used peer-reviewed literature and 41% offered experimental or non-cited data based on American populations.

“Appropriate discussion of a patient’s understanding of a procedure is critical, and physicians should make efforts to inquire about internet research, taking time to counsel patients regarding the limitations of internet information,” Sullivan stated..." - Source: Healio.com
Yes, it can be confusing. But nothing beats getting information from the source -- you patients. Talk to each other as much as you can. Learn the tough questions to ask. Seek the answers. Find completeness in your decisions!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-23-2014, 01:11 AM

Default Wish I had researched!

I saw my neurosurgeon on Thursday July 1, 2010... He scheduled me for July 6th. He would have scheduled it July 5th, but that was the Monday after the July 4th Holiday and everyone was off and celebrating.

I got my pre-ops done on July 2nd and I was under the knife Tuesday July 6.

One of the top 3 or so worst decisions of my life. I didn't do research or ask questions. I believed the young foreign Neurosurgeon and he sold me well and sold me fast.

I wish I had found your site prior to the consult and had done some research. I would have probably not gone along with the surgery so fast or at least looked at different options or gotten a 2nd opinion.

I am sure this site has steered some individuals in certain directions that were more beneficial. Thanks for your work Harrison.

Dustin
Ruptured C5/C6 June 2010. Rushed into Prodisc surgery July 1, 2010. Month after installation, symptoms came back and new more intense pain. Fought all year for help. July 6, 2011 received fusion-revision on top of Prodisc - John's Hopkins. Numbness went away in hands, but pain still remains. Doctor's all say "Life of Pain Management" forever. Trying to endure life through the fog of pain and meds and procedures. New hope is now Neurotransmitter "TENS" unit implanted into neck at C5/C6.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Thanks Dustin, for your kind words. I read your post-op notes and see your progress...Hope you get better and stronger each day.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate