ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:08 AM

From what I understand of the bathing thing is that they (Some Europeans) consider it a "waste" of water to bathe every day. They are also big into recycling over there & etc. More so than where I live anyways.... One thing I did notice is that "bath day" seemed to fall somewhere on Sunday. Because Sunday & Monday the BO wasn't so bad

Yes, the culture is MUCH different over there when it comes to smoking. What I don't understand is that many of them that smoke also consider themselves "athletic" - I haven't figured that one out (yet)... But when I use to smoke, that was the last thing I was (athletic that is)...
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:27 AM

Yeah it was pretty bad when even one of nurses followed the same script of very little bathing.

I also noticed the attempt to mask the smell with perfume's and they drive me just about as crazy.

Guess I am not happy unless I am complaining. And with the back feeling great I have to find something to complain about.

Take care,

Sorry for STINKING up the Board

Old 12-13-2004, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm horribly allergic to cigarette smoke. When the time comes for surgery I'll have to consider my options.

I hope that bathing schedule didn't apply to the patients also!
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 PM

As a nurse myself, I would be too afraid to smoke at the station even if it was allowed because of the fear of something catching on fire (paperwork vs oxygen).

BTW - I don't smoke now though. But when I did - I took my daily shower, wore deodorant and chewed gum and of course smoked outside. Washed hands after each smoke break!!! I just don't know how they can stand it themselves.... but they do....

ALSO - Another thing I noticed that is different. I think one nurses was drinking a glass of wine on her "lunch break"... I think most of us here would get the "ax" for that one.

I'm not really complaining really, just comparing one set of rules/ cultures to the ones I am familiar with. Interesting.......
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:07 AM

My husband is from Germany and when I asked him about the drinking and bathing he said it was most definetly true. When he was 14 he used to stop after school for a beer with his friends, although he claims that the beer had less alchol in it then the beer here. He also said that the riding the streetcar could be quite an experience with all the body odor. The only thing that could top it was getting on a street car in the morning in Munich with a buch of Bavarians who had fresh garlic on bread for their breakfast. That was cause for changing streetcars.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:22 AM

Try standing in an elevator with a bunch of Europeans in July and the temperature is 85 degrees! I couldn't get out fast enough!!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:16 AM

FYI, I was there during the month of August, prob. worst time to be there!!!

Old 12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

I remember a plane ride back from Spain in '90 ago and there was a guy that just stunk to high heaven next to me. He had 2 suits on in July...
Anyway, my friend and I had so many Bloody Marys that we fell asleep thru the flight to NYC! That was back when I could sit in one seat for a while at least~ tho I think I sat way longer than I had intended (in a drunken stuper)...oh well, I escaped the BO!!!
That was off the subject tho following some other replies.. I did have to go to a hospital in Spain and it was really quite nice. Drs were so different, like actually talked to you and were soo incredibly polite. But I remember it seemed that everyone working smoked and the doctor had a ton of cologne covering up this intense cig smell... I was already really sick and the exam almost killed me...