ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:21 PM

Default New member-Need doctor in NY to determine if I'm a candidate for ADR

Have DDD at several lumbar disc and ne of the best orthopedic surgeons recommended pain management, but I have tried that many times and it doesn't last. I'm thinking that ADR may be an option, but need a doctor in NY that is well experienced in ADR.
Experiencing back pain(mostly left side) and numbness of the left foot. Currently on oral steroid pack.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:40 AM

Default Not Ny bro

I live in New York and have been researching this for a few years and I don't trust ANYONE in NY. either go to Germany in my option or get a hold of dr James j Yue at Yale he is tops. He is picky though so if you have any listed contradictions he won't do you. He told me I had to loose 70 pounds n quit smoking. I did in four months. Thankfully with my burst of will power I over came my fear of flying n now I'm headed to Germany.

Most the doctors in New York that r top of field have about a 40/60 success rate, with Goldstein being one of the top dogs. I chose dr Bertagnoli in Germany, in my opinion he seemed top dog in world. Some people here will disagree saying he ignores his failures but if you go to other sites n read these failures posts from before surgery you'll see that most of the ones with bad outcomes had sacral issues n were warned it may not work. There are two people that are legit were dr Bertagnoli messed up. One guy got his nerve nicked n I forget the other. But realize the guy they recommend has numerous negitive outcomes, but the patients faith in that doctor seems to minimize the lack of success.

Another thing I see people get hung up on is disc style. I feel surgeon is most important not the style of disc. Some will say dr Bertagnoli only uses prodisc cause he has interest in it. While it's true he owned the patent on it n he holds the Pantene on most the tools used, his interests were already paid of by licensing those patent to synthesize or what ever the name is. Do your research it's up to you. But I look at it like this. If my wife can spend 40k on a car I can spend it on my back.

Prepare your self as this is nerve racking btw these are just my opinions and I'm just an electrician not a doctor but if you want we can buy a disc off eBay n I'll give it a whack, I can probably do a better job than most here in ole USA! Just kidding. I'm nervous wreck I'm going under the knife in a few weeks. I can't sleep or think or anything I'm scared tihs lest.

Good luck! Btw this site saved my sanity n they all pretty good here, but if you stick around you see the doctors become like football teams n each has his fans n critics lol!
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 09-04-2016, 10:09 AM

Thanks for your informative reply. I may contact Dr. Yue for a consult.
Good luck with your surgery and keep us informed of how you are doing post-op.
Experiencing back pain(mostly left side) and numbness of the left foot. Currently on oral steroid pack.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:53 AM

Default Body weight

Just one more thing. I noticed that loosing weight made me think it might be a cure. I awoke one morning after loosing forty pounds n didn't reach for my pills. I thought I was miraculously cured as I had been praying lol. Well after an hour back pain settled in but my nerve pain was almost gone. Lost forty more pounds n feet were hardly numb but pain was still there if up right. I feel if my discs were just a little bit less herniated I might have snuck by with loosing weight n finically fitness. Most people don't mention they're state of fitness unless it's good. So I offer this to you. If your obese chances are nothing will work if you stay obese. If your obese loose weight it's a requirement for surgery in USA n stop smoking, also a requirement. Those two things alone might help you get by with no meds or operations if your over weight.

I was slightly over weight when hurt, but spent a few years lying down due to pain n grew obese I went from 200 to 280. I probable am suppose to be 156 being 5 foot 10 but I don't ever remember being under 185 since early 20s just turned 50 n my goal is 165-175 n get in shape. Hoping between surgery n new sense of self I can turn my pathetic life around. I was always in decent shape but it was due to hard work doing construction work 10 months a year. Good luck n best wishes!
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
Old 09-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Administrator

For what it's worth, and it's only my opinion, I would put Dr. Goldstein's appt. way ahead of Yue's. I met him a few years ago and he's a trustworthy doctor. Many of his patients have done well; I've not heard of a poor outcome. But it does not mean there aren't any. Use the search function to help:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/search.php
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Harrison's been here the longest n he is the best in my opinion. What he says is usually 100%. Goldstein is rite in NYC , I FAVORED YUE , because he worked on fda n w Bertagnoli. I considered Goldstein too. But he doesn't do Internet interviews. You need to go see him in person w films n he does have a few mistakes if you can believe everything you read on the net. A few at other sites had bad outcomes. But all doctors do. N if you did have a bad outcome you would want the closest doctor. But anyways Goldstein n Yue. There's also a guy in Binghamton area I read about near that fancy school there's a waterfalls with fire in it????
Old 09-23-2016, 02:39 PM

Default How did the surgery go

How are you and how did the surgery go?
On another note how do you find surgeon's outcomes?