ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 PM

Hi All,
I just received a call from surgeons office, my request for ADR surgery was approved by Aetna on the first request!!
The date is 09-29-08 7:30am.
Today I feel kinda weird, happy insurance approved surgery, but now the reality is setting in, I am quite scared of the unknown.
But I thank God for my husband he has been by me side each and every step of this painful journey. He will be home with me after surgery for as long as I need him so far he has requested at least 4 weeks. if I need him for more than that he will be there. So anyway, any thoughts, advice etc. would be greatly appreciated. thx Dee
PT, Chiro, Acupunture, traction
discogram 07-08 positive
ADR surgery to be done
09-08
L5-S1
Old 08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Dee62,

Congrats on the approval !!!!

Now is the time to make sure you have done your homework well. Just make sure you ask all the questions you have of your doc NOW... but it sounds like you are in good hands with hubby by your side..

I know I would be lost without mine
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:19 PM

Congrats on the approval Dee!

I can completely understand that fear of the unknown. The best advice I can give is make sure any lingering questions get answered and familiarize yourself with the post-op possibilities. I don't know about you, but I personally found it helpful to know the spectrum of how good and how bad things could be post-op so that I didn't expect any one thing and would be ready for anything.

I take it you're having L5/S1 done? That's the same level I had this summer so if you have any questions feel free to message me.

I'm glad to hear your hubby will be able to be around to help you. While I was pretty mobile on my own, I definitely couldn't have gotten through the first couple weeks without the help of my parents and boyfriend. Well, I might've made it through, but my clothes sure wouldn't have smelled very nice, haha.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:34 PM

You'll be fine. I am an old hat at surgery. Hemi-laminectomy in '95 in my cervical area at Mayo Clinic; Shoulder repair in '05 from shattered clavicle; 4 level ADR in November '06. The initial pain after surgery is pretty strong, in the recovery room, until they figure you are coming out of the anesthesia OK and, then they give you good pain medications to lessen your pain. You're going to be in good hands with the support of your husband, the surgeon, the nursing staff, and God is going to be overseeing everything. I had a saint in my Wife, who acted as my nurse and, took good care of me. Your husband will do the same for you. Nothing is going to lessen the fear except having it done. The time goes by quickly and, I am now almost 22 months after my ADR surgery. I don't regret a thing and, have had my life back ever since I got back from Germany. You've been in enough pain long enough and, this will get you back to enjoying your life.

Lean on us for support as, many of us have been where you are at. We will help to normalize the experience for you so, anything you are afraid of or, need information about, please ask us and, we'll be there for you as well.

Go with God and hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5