ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie...I'm 25 years old and I've been dealing with back pain for over 2 years now. I have a herniation at L5/S1 with S1 nerve impingment, DDD at L4/L5, and mild bulge at L3/L4. Was a result of transporting a patient that was 2 times my size.
I'm coming on here to get as much information as I can. I've tried everything under the sun for pain relief and nothing has helped much. So here I am!!

Kimberly
Old 03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

Kimberly,

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear about your back issues. We are around the same age, so if you have any questions regarding ADR or specific reasons why I choose ADR at the age of 23, don't hesitate to send me a private message or email.

The forum is filled with very knowledgeable and incredibly great people that are here to help.

I am here to help,

Justin
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 PM

And Justin has probably earned his MD by now.

There's gotta be a way K. for you to be seen and paid for in a US hospital by the best. People here know perserverance.

Good luck, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Banned

Kimberly,
Is your's a Worker's Compensation case? Just wondering...

My original injury (working as a nurse on a Neuro unit) was 1982. I was 28. Now I'm 52. If ADR had been available back then, I'm pretty sure I would have proceeded with it~ esp. since I tried 2 discectomies so I believe I would have tried ADR...

Oh well, I'm twice your age and then some, and many years have been spent in pain and frustration with my limitations.

Thankfully for the qualifying patients, there is this option vs. only fusion so I hope you will further investigate the possibility of this option in your case.

Good luck~ Maria
Old 03-29-2006, 04:00 AM

Hi kimber-Lee,

Welcome to the Forum; as you can see, the Confusion Couch is strategically placed next to a full bowl of tortillas and salsa dip, and the medecine cabinet is well-stocked and is located next to the safe containing our own private stock of premium chocolate for the really bad days...kick off your shoes and make yourself at home

I see you're in Canada--have you thought about going to the SAS conference in Montr�al next month? Looks like a pretty decent place to start to get some info. I'm working on it; right now flights and accommodation are killing me, even if I'm a 'physician's assistant' !

Trace
Old 03-29-2006, 08:33 AM

BTW, Mariaa--

Were you also trying to move a patient when you got hurt? Seems to me I'm meeting a lot of people, here and in 'real life', who work in the medical profession and who get racked trying to shift other people around! You'd think that there'd be precautions taken and special training not just to avoid further injury to patients, but to the caregivers themselves...

Trace
Old 03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Welcome, Kimberly! I hope we can help!

BTW: Don't forget some of the resources on the main site, e.g. http://www.adrsupport.org/content.asp?cid=198

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!!!

In my situation, I dragged a patient on a computer swivel chair from our ER parking lot to our trauma bay. Why a computer chair? We had no wheelchairs and rarely ever do and we had no working transport stretchers so I had to use the next best thing. I don't know how many times that we've complained about the equipment situation but it all comes down to dollars and cents with them. Now it's probably costing them more to fund my healthcare than if they would've "splurged" on some equipment. On my first day back to work, one of my coworkers scooted right by me with an overwieght patient on a...yup you guessed it...a computer chair. They didn't learn from my mistake nor did they get any wheelchairs. Sad really...they are a major hospital that gets tons of donations every year. Where that money goes is beyond me...I know it's not showing up on my pay check!!!

So yup, I'm a compensation case. It's the biggest pain in the world.

Thanks again everyone!!!! I'm looking forward to all the "enlightenment" I can get!!
Kimberly
Old 03-29-2006, 05:56 PM

pleased to meet ya kimber_lee.sorry to hear of your pain levels.i think you will find there a great bunch here need any thing just yell.
best wishes
chuck
Old 03-30-2006, 02:59 AM

"need any thing just yell."

Thanks--more dip, Chuck--and the tortilla bowl could use a top up!!!!

Trace