ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Default Cyprus

Whats fighters name????
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Nate Quarry. He's a super nice guy (not in the cage though!) He went on to win the title after a spinal fusion! He recently had the XLTDR. He's about seven months post-op now.

If you go to his website there is vid of him doing a TED talk. The audio is choppy due to some mic issues, but it is worth a watch. You get to see him knock out his opponent and win the title AFTER a fusion, which, of course, everyone told him could never happen.

He's a really cool and down to earth guy. He goes around speaking about back pain. He wrote a book too.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Default Nate

So that's a ADR with a fusion?? I remember his lumbar fusion done by nuvasive
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
So that's a ADR with a fusion?? I remember his lumbar fusion done by nuvasive
No. They were two separate surgeries. He fusion is Nuvasive. Then later on another disc went (as they often do with fusion), and he replaced THAT level with an XLTDR, which is a type of ADR, just one that goes in from the side, so it is less invasive. His surgery was done by Dr. Coe in Cyprus through AIMIS.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM

Default Nate

Wow that's awesome!! How is he doingggg? Bet he's wishing he had ADR from the start
Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
Wow that's awesome!! How is he doingggg? Bet he's wishing he had ADR from the start
He is doing great! He's still pretty happy with his fusion. He doesn't seem like the crying over spilled milk type. PLUS he *did* win the UFC title with that thing, so if I were him, I'd be pretty darn happy about it too!

He does though, advocate either fusion or ADR. Better than being in pain, by his way of thinking.

My feelings are a bit different on the subject. But then, I don't have bone on bone like he did. Getting there soon if not for the surgery next month, but I have arthritis in my feet, so I can sympathize.

It's also nice to have a celebrity who went overseas for ADR!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Default Regarding use of M6 in cyprus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
Per Claire they do not use the M6 in Cyprus. The main reason it is cheaper is because they have a deal with the manufacturers. If you want that device you would be looking at paying about 6.5 grand PER device in order to use it, so it works out to be cheaper to go to Barcelona, which was another main factor in my going with Dr. Clavel. There is no way I would do a three level with zero shock absorption either, which is why I went the way I did.

The overall cost for Cyprus is significantly cheaper, but the trade off is no shock absorption. One level I would be okay with, POSSIBLY two, but three? No way.
Firstly, I want to thank everyone on this site who advised me to stay away from Stenum. I contacted Sue and cancelled my surgery there this morning. I want to especially thank TPatti and Newleaseonlife who advised me to look into AIMIS. I have some good news. I spoke to Claire this morning. They now offer the M6!! They also offer the Baguera C which I am told is similar to the M6 in that it also acts like a shock absorber. I haven't wasted any time. I already sent all my documentation to AIMIS and hope to hear back from them within a week. What is also nice is that they have an in-network surgeon who lives 90 minutes from me at home. He does not have to be the surgeon who operates on me. They all work together as a team, especially when it comes to follow-up care. On a final note, I haven't ruled out Dr. Clavel. I believe that Medical Tourism is sending my info to him. I specifically requested the M6, and they indicated they would be forwarding it to a surgeon in Spain.
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
Firstly, I want to thank everyone on this site who advised me to stay away from Stenum. I contacted Sue and cancelled my surgery there this morning. I want to especially thank TPatti and Newleaseonlife who advised me to look into AIMIS. I have some good news. I spoke to Claire this morning. They now offer the M6!! They also offer the Baguera C which I am told is similar to the M6 in that it also acts like a shock absorber. I haven't wasted any time. I already sent all my documentation to AIMIS and hope to hear back from them within a week. What is also nice is that they have an in-network surgeon who lives 90 minutes from me at home. He does not have to be the surgeon who operates on me. They all work together as a team, especially when it comes to follow-up care. On a final note, I haven't ruled out Dr. Clavel. I believe that Medical Tourism is sending my info to him. I specifically requested the M6, and they indicated they would be forwarding it to a surgeon in Spain.
That is great!

DO be aware though that the Baguera is, according to Dr. Clavel, "a very unforgiving disc". He said he used one ONCE, and hated it so much he took it out and put in an M6 instead. He said it is very easy to make mistakes with and you could end up in WAY more pain. He had to reoperate on said patient and do a revision.

If you decide to go with AIMIS, do make sure the doc operating on you has used the m6 before. Dr. Coe was going to have to learn on a cadaver if he was going to do my surgery.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Thanks again for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
That is great!

DO be aware though that the Baguera is, according to Dr. Clavel, "a very unforgiving disc". He said he used one ONCE, and hated it so much he took it out and put in an M6 instead. He said it is very easy to make mistakes with and you could end up in WAY more pain. He had to reoperate on said patient and do a revision.

If you decide to go with AIMIS, do make sure the doc operating on you has used the m6 before. Dr. Coe was going to have to learn on a cadaver if he was going to do my surgery.
Dear Lilyth, thank you for the info. I also got word from Yolanda at Dr. Clavel's office that they have my info and will be reviewing it. It will be interesting getting the evaluation results from 2 separate sources.
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
Dear Lilyth, thank you for the info. I also got word from Yolanda at Dr. Clavel's office that they have my info and will be reviewing it. It will be interesting getting the evaluation results from 2 separate sources.
Yes. It is quite interesting to see what they say, as opposed to US docs. Please keep us updated on everything.