ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 PM

Default New Member in Charlotte, NC (L5-S1 Freedom Candidate)

Hi everyone...I am a new member and hoping to learn as much as possible about others who have been in my position. Many years ago, I began noticing pain in my lower back which continually got worse until I reached the point of not being able to walk without excrutiating pain in left lower back and sciatica in left leg. After an MRI showed hernation of L5-S1, I had a micro endoscopic discectomy in August of 2007. While I never felt 100% after that procedure, I gradually got to the point where I was able to exercise and do some of the things I love to do. Little by little, the pain re-appeared and in mid-late 2010, I felt the familiar pain that suggested the same problem had returned. I tried PT which made things worse. I've been on and off pain meds for the last three years and am now constantly medicated with hydrocodone and anti-inflamm, which only dulls the pain and makes it more tolerable. MRI in January of 2011 proved recurrent rupture of L5-S1. Through a relative, I learned about Dr. Dom Coric here in Charlotte and got an appointment for March 16. While waiting for this appt., I went through pain management and had two ESI's which only helped for a few days, then the same level of pain returned. No matter what I do, it only seems to get worse, then better, then worse again.

I just had my appointment with Dr. Coric this past week and was very impressed with him all around. I have never met a doctor willing to spend as much time explaining and answering questions as he did during this first appt. I am told I am a candidate for the Freedom Lumbar Disc study and have been given the option of surgery in April 2011. This is all very new to me, so any information I can learn about Dr. Coric and the procedure would be greatly appreciated. His credentials seem to speak for themself, but I was hoping to hear from some of his patients, particularly any that have received ADR using either Prodisc or Freedom disc at L5-S1.

4 years ago, I was in excellent physical condition...jogging, golfing, tennis, etc. Since then I have gained 35 - 40 lbs. and am unable to do much other than sedentary. I work in sales, so work contributes to the problem due to travel. I badly want to get back in shape, feel better all around and get my life back! Main reason...my wife is due to have our first child in August and I hope to have the worst of this behind me by then so I can be everything a Father and Husbnad should be!!!

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
--Greg
Freedom Lumbar Disc Study (tentative April 2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Hi Greg, welcome. I hope we can support your in the days ahead. Did you already spend some time carefully reading through the post-op forum? Please do! Also, the search utility works really well.

If I recall correctly, Dr. Coric has been doing ADR for almost 10 years, starting with the Charite.

Congrats on your first child! I hope that your issues can be resolved by then, but pls do not rush these decisions. Your "homework" is substantial, so I hope we can help.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Greg,

Congratulations on the impending arrival of ya'lls first child! I remember how excited we were when our first arrived. Our two year old granddaughter is currently visiting us, and she is bringing back many fond memories.

I don't anything about Dr Coric, but have seen many posts on the Freedom Lumbar Disc; some good, and some not so good. I would encourage you read through the surgical outcome forum as Harrison has suggested. You will find a number of Freedom outcomes there.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Greg,
My name ie Robert and I will be part of the Freedom research program at Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine also. My surgery is set for May 9th and I am hoping to be able to stand up straight afterwards. I have fought off the pain but am unable to do the things I want to like Run. I have compted 15 marathons and 7 Boston Marathon's. I missed this year's race and have not ran since Novemeber due to a bad 4-5. Hoping for the Freedom and not the Pro-Disc L. Dr. Coric is one of the best have you had your surgery?