ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and very grateful to have found it!
Just a quick FYI, my insurance company, Mega Life and Health, approved my surgery of the Charite disc replacement one week ago.
I am scheduled for surgery Friday, April 1st. I have had two spinal surgeries in the past including a neck fusion (C5-C6), and a lamenectomy and bone chip removal at L4. Both surgeries were successful and I am very optomistic about ADR at L5-S1. After learning about the procedure itself, with the incision and access from the front,I am curious to know if anyone has any suggestions in regards to pre-op diet for the week prior. I am wondering if a cleansing diet might help recovery.I was told your system kind of goes into shock and digestion slows way down. If anyone can share their experience I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Jules
Old 03-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Great news. Several of us are waiting for other insurance comapanies to wake up.

I know some doctors in Germany have patients go on a liquid diet for about two days in advance. Mark and others that have been there can no doubt provide more details.

Hope all goes well.

Brady
Old 03-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

Jules,

Congrats on having your insurance pay for the surgery! I was on a liquid diet (broth) for two days prior to surgery. I was also given X-Prep Bowel Evacuant Liquid (this was overseas). I am sure they do something similiar stateside. I didn't eat after surgery (just had broth) until I had a bowel movement to ensure my GI tract was functioning properly. I was in Munich a week before my surgery sightseeing (through the pain and all) and I spoiled myself with Bavarian food.

Below is from spineuniverse.com
Quote:
Complication: Ileus
Cause: Slowed peristalsis/decreased GI motility from activation of inhibitory reflexes, release of inflammatory mediators, opioid use. (133-135)
Risk Factors: NPO status, anesthetic use, opioid use, anterior lumbar spinal surgery, decreased mobility. (88,122)
Symptoms: Abdominal pain, bloating, cessation of bowel movements, absence of flatus, nausea, vomiting.
Exam Findings: Decreased, absent (or high-pitched) bowel sounds, distended, firm, tender abdomen, tympany to percussion.
Diagnostic Tests: Abdominal flat plate x-ray.Click here for fulltext webpage
Keep us posted on your surgery,

Justin
Old 03-30-2005, 11:37 AM

Thanks Justin and Brady! I started a liquid diet today and so I really appreciate the affirmation! It simply makes sense. Thanks again and I hope to have marvelous news when I return!
Jules