ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

I didn't realize that today would have such a big impact on my. I had my biennial flight review and got my FAA medical renewed today. March 19th, 2003, I received my FAA medical after years of being unable to fly because of the Neurontin and opiates I had beren taking. My spine problems took so much away from me... the first year after my surgery was such an incredible time... coming back to life after years of disability.

It didn't seem like a big deal, but after the morning flight... then walking out of the medical examiners office with my new medical, literally brought tears to my eyes. So, I'm mostly normal now (or as abnormal as I may have been considered before becoming a spiney.) Biennial up... no problem... just take a check-ride just like all the other private pilots in the world. Medical up... no problem, just get it done. But I don't see anyone else leaving the examiner's office with tears in their eyes.

To top it all off, today I heard that *** client number 2 has surgery scheduled. This man has been unable to walk for well over 2 years. It's taken us almost a year and a half to get him to this point. More tears of joy. His is a very unique case and I'm nervously excited about his potential outcome.

I wish I could share my good fortune with all of you... I am truly blessed to have enjoyed such success after such a difficult time. I know that I could have a morphine pump now. I have absolutely nothing to complain about!

Mark
Old 03-19-2005, 07:40 AM

Mark that's fantastic. I'm sure you were anxious to slip the bonds and get back to flying again. Did your AME require any special mobility testing to get your medical back? I had to surrender my certificate in July of '03 and can't wait for this problem to be resolved. Congratulations and continued success. Nothing but Blue Skies from now on. Todd
numerous conservative treatments
positive discogram
looking for relief
Old 03-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Banned

Backagain,

Sorry about your ticket... hopefully you'll get it all resolved.

No special testing for spine problems. In fact, the inability to get my medical before only had to do with the Neurontin and Oxycontin I had been on for years before my surgery. I was surprised to get my medical on the spot in March of 03. Then, a couple of months later, I got a letter from the FAA saying that my medical was in jeopardy because of a cardio workup that had been done. (Cervical spine-related chest pain.) After providing the documentation that they wanted showing no problems indicated... I was OK.

A few months ago, my chest pain got bad again. This time I went to the doc and asked for a complete physical. As part of my physical, he ordered a stress test.

I asked the ME, "If I had a cardiolite stress test done as part of a complete physical, do I need to provide documentation for that?" (Documentation = red flags)

answer... "not if it's normal". So, I jumped through all the hoops, did it by the book. Getting my medical now is just like it was when I was 16... are you breathing... how many fingers do you see.... approved!"

Mark

PS... rainy and gray in So. Cal now... but it's still blue skies and tailwinds for me!

Take care,

Mark
Old 03-19-2005, 03:05 PM

Hi Mark:
I can totally relate to what you have experienced. You have shared your good fortune with all of us; you have dedicated so much of your time and energy to making sure others also are aware of all the options available. You have educated all of us about ADR, giving us all the opportunity to be as blessed. You could have gone home from your surgery and simply went on with your life.
Certainly, it is still unbelievable to me, that after ADR in Sept./05, I am 'normal'too. Who would have ever guessed that my sixth spinal surgery could set me free.
Melanie