ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 AM

Hi Sarah,

I certainly hope you find a good doctor to work with. I mostly agree with the multiple opinions bit most folks say, but at the same time, if you feel you found yourself a winner with a doc, go for it. I only went to one practice and didn't shop around for a doc. However, I also went to THE practice in the area for orthopedics. Just about all the sports teams send their folks there to get fixed up, so it's kind of hard to choose somewhere else with that kind of clientele.

Since you're on the east coast, have you thought about looking at docs in Philadelphia?

I had my procedure done at 3B Orthopaedics at Pennsylvania Hospital. The group was recommended to me by my manager who had a double fusion in his neck back when disc replacement was still too new to the US. My surgeon was Dr. Balderston and he was excellent. I'd highly recommend him and the other docs in the practice. I actually spoke with Dr. Maurer first because my MRI report was written to make my condition seem very mild, so the first surgeon I went to on my manager's recommendation, declined to see me as I didn't look like a surgical candidate in the way the written report read. One look at my MRI painted a completely different picture when I saw Dr. Maurer who was immediately sending me to Dr. Balderston for further consultation. Basically he said, considering mild treatments hadn't helped at all and what he saw on the MRI, I had two choices.... fusion or disc replacement. I knew based on how I felt throughout the various treatments, that surgery was in my future. So, I basically said "yes please!" to the disc replacement option. I have never even once regretted that decision.

Good luck in the search for a doc that you feel comfortable with and that can help you.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!