ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:23 AM

PainSupport eNewsletter

Come to your Senses!
Quick and Easy Pain and Stress Reducers

When we are in a stressful situation or, perhaps, having a particularly bad time with pain, our discomfort is usually increased by our reactions. Common reactions to pain and stress are tightened muscles and heightened emotions. This can then cause a whole cycle of tension, fear and then increased pain - and so on, and on...

You may think it difficult to break this pattern but there are plenty of quick and easy ways you can help yourself.

Your body and mind are linked very closely, what affects one, affects the other. In this newsletter today, we're using your body as the starting point. Taking care of your body will help to calm your mind. Do try some of the ideas below - start with just one, one that particularly appeals to you.

First of all - Breathe!
It sounds obvious! But when you are stressed you will tend to breathe from the top of your chest in short, panicky gasps. So, take control and slow your breathing down. A good way is to imagine you are breathing gently and slowly in and out through your abdomen and waist rather than your nose! This sounds odd, but try it for yourself - and feel yourself slowing down as you breathe this way. Really feel your body, including your back, expand and deflate as you gently breathe in and out.

Come to your senses!
Let go of the past and the future. Concentrate on the task in hand or on your surroundings. Focus on your senses in the current moment and what is around you. Your mind may drift off again, but when you notice you are thinking about something else, come back to really feeling what you are touching, smelling, tasting, hearing or seeing.

Sometimes, at moments of high agitation or pain, it's even helpful to talk yourself through whatever you are doing, for example, "I am washing this cup. The cup has a blue pattern on it, the bubbles look pretty, like lots of rainbows, the water feels hot and slippery." Speak slowly, either out aloud or inside your head, it will help to calm you.

Pay attention to your body
Feet first...
Pain and stress makes your body energy rise, which puts you off-balance and your muscles in a state of tension. Reduce this tension by concentrating on allowing your feet, especially your heels, to relax and sink into the ground. As you make contact with the ground this will bring your centre of energy down again and you will feel calmer.

...then eyes
Under stress your head and eyes move more erratically that normal, and, as a result, your body may feel quite unstable and off-balance. Quieten your body and mind by focussing on a point in front of you - but don't stare hard at it, just gently focus. Staring hard will cause more tension. As your eyes soften, become aware of the colours and shapes around you. Let your eyes stay soft, and let the area around your eyes soften and widen too.

Smile!
I know - you don't feel like smiling when stressed or in pain! But if you let your face relax around your mouth and jaw and deliberately smile gently this will send positive messages to your brain which will begin to release 'happy' endorphins, your body's own feel-good chemicals. As you practice, pretty soon the smile will become natural and you will feel better. This is also a wonderful 'beauty treatment' as smiling produces far fewer wrinkles than frowning with mouth pulled down!

If, when you feel in increasing pain or stress, you can remember to use even just ONE of the above techniques for a minute or so, you will start to feel more relaxed and in control. You will be able to think more rationally about finding a way forward in dealing with the actual source of the pain or stress.

You may, with practice, eventually be able to use ALL of the above methods at the same time, which will help you even more.

TIP: The key to success is to REMEMBER to USE the suggestions!

TOOL KIT - If you like these ideas why not keep them in your Tool Kit notebook or folder of self-help pain relief methods. If you haven't started one yet, why not keep a special notebook or folder as your Tool Kit to remind you of techniques and skills for coping with pain. Your Tool Kit is especially useful when pain flares up. It will help prevent panic and fear and give you constructive ideas to focus upon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WORDS OF WISDOM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do not let your years slip through your fingers by living in the past, nor in the future.
By living your life one day at a time, you really live all the days of your life.

- - Author unknown
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND FINALLY... Another 'groaner'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A man takes his Rotteweiller to the vet.
"My dog's cross-eyed, is there anything you can do for him?"
"Well," says the vet, "let's have a look at him"
So he picks the dog up and examines his eyes, then checks his teeth.
Finally, he says, "I'm going to have to put him down."
"What? Because he's cross-eyed? "
"No, because he's really heavy"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep smiling!

The above ideas are just a few that you can find in my book, 'Natural Pain Relief', and on my tapes and CDs which contain many more methods for relaxation and pain and stress relief. If you would like prices and full details of the products available, please contact me (regret UK only, although folk in the US and Australia/NewZealand may find the book on their Amazon website).

Jan at PainSupport
www.painsupport.co.uk
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 05-25-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks Alastair,

All great ideas to try. I have done the "washing the cup one" More than once and it does get your mind off of things for a bit.

"Look at the sky its so blue, (if you don't live in LA), the grass it green and the flowers are so beautiful and look the aspen trees are starting to bud�........My problem is I am right back to the pain when I stop defining my surroundings. I need to add in the breathing and muscle tension technique at the same time as well and most of all the....

Anything is better then meds.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 05-25-2005, 10:05 PM

Seriously, sex helps.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.