ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 PM

Default M6 or Pro-Disc C??

Hello, I'm doing research on the M6 vs. Pro-Disc C. I currently have a herniation at C5-C6 an a bulge at C6-C7.

January 2009 I was sitting at a red light and a huge truck rear-ended me going 50mph. Texting or playing with the radio is what he said. Totaled his car and the car in front of me. I was the meat of the sandwich. Lucky I was in a SUV. I was wearing my seat belt but could hardly move for a month after the accident. MRI report and symptoms show a herniation at C5-C6 and a bulge at C6-C7. Rehabbed for an entire year (DRX/Spine Force/Chiro/massage therapy/ muscle relaxers, bikram yoga, etc...). I've had hardly any improvement and am unable to return to perform in my active profession/career. Feel very unstable. numbness, muscle twitching, pins and needles, weakness(in arms, hands, shoulders), and traps go into lock down mode 3-4 times a week. Since I've tried every non-surgical approach, my neurosurgeon wants to do an ADR with the Pro-Disc C (only at C5-C6). I've gotten 5-6 other opinions saying I would be a perfect candidate for an ADR. I'm a 33 year old professional athlete. Have you heard of any athletes returning to active competition after an ADR? And which disc is better M6 or Pro-Disc C? Seems like the M6 is far more advanced. I wouldn't mind going to Germany/Stenum to have it done. Rather have someone who's done 1000 do it rather than someone who's done 20. Heard good things and I've been to almost every country in the world anyway. I want the best technology if the disc will be in my neck forever. I'm sure in 10 years there will be something better, but I can't wait 10 years with my career as an athlete.

Thanks for your help and hope to hear back soon
Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 PM

What kind of athlete?

There have been high-end amateur athletes seemingly by the dozen returning to an active life, even a professional rodeo rider Laura was in touch with when she was getting her lumbar ADR.

I'm not going to touch the M6 vs. Prodisc C debate except to say that you've grasped the most important point first: get a good surgeon. It doesn't have to be a German surgeon but a bad surgeon will mess you up far more than using the less optimum ADR. Another thought is that I'm betting that we're eventually going to realize that the differing ADR geometries/motions/etc. each favor different kinds of patients. You might look at the patients who've had both types and talk with the surgeons to see how the ones that are "like you" are doing.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog