ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM

Laura, me too. I'm a little late but also wanted to wish you congratulations!!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 09-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Laura,

Thinking of you! Hope you are doing well and recovery is going well. Touch base with me when you can!
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Thank you everyone for your well-wishes and concern. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I had a problem with Wifi and the hotel (just could not get a good signal). I am finally out of Medicos (rehab) and spending my last few days here in Germany before returning home. The surgery went better than expected. I have not had a headache (migraine) in 10 days. The only pain I am experiencing is my shoulder and shoulder blade muscles are extremely tender and there is a focused burning pain in one particular area, but I'm told this is to be expected. Dr. Bierstedt told me he barely had enough room for the M6 at the C6/7 level due to the vertebrae collapse. I'm trying to cut out the pain meds so that I don't inadvertently overdo exercise or movement.

I am extremely happy with my surgical outcome and the rehab at Medicos. They are very attentive and have helped my recovery tremendously. I can't believe that I'm moving around so easily.

I will post my success once I return home on the "SURGICAL OUTCOME" thread - as I have graduated. Thank you all for your help and assistance in getting me to where I'm at today - A mobile me!
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 09-22-2013, 03:19 AM

Default good to hear you're doing good!

Hi LauraB,

Just don't over do it. I know the urge to be back. But its slow and steady. If your like me I have good days, but I still have the bad days.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Congrats

Hi LauraB
I`m delighted to hear you are recovering well from your surgery.
For the past 4 months, I have been going through the same torturous process of investigating, questioning, researching etc that it seems you (and everybody else) has to go through!
After all my researching, i am finally now leaning towards having my 2-level ADR, (c5-6 & c6-7) with the M6-C, done by Dr Zeegers in Bonn.
Although having read a little more of your experience with Dr Bierstedt, he and the Meidcos rehab program do sound very good. (I`m not sure what the beta klinic in Bonn does for rehab). Did you ever consider DrZeegers, or was Dr Bierstedt always your 1st choice?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM

Dermot,

I had initially inquired with Ritter-Lang group (Berlin), Dr. Bertagnoli (outside of Munich), Dr. Clavel (Barcelona), and Dr. Bierstedt (Hattigen & Recklinghausen, Germany).

I do not have much information with Dr. Zeegers so I really can't comment, however I heard some positive outcomes so I feel that you probably would do well to investigate others who have more familiarity than I. I would recommend that you "do" send your information to other doctors, as well. I feel that I was very fortunate that my choices led in his direction. He does not have financial or personal ties to any one device, and he did inform me before surgery that he felt that it was possible that he might have to substitute another ADR (or even a possible fusion) for my C6/7 level because it had completely collapsed upon itself.
I am happy to say that he was able to use the M6 (my original hope). The Medicos rehabilitation was very thorough using both isometric exercises and massage stimulation. I attended about 5 therapy sessions per day. Each day I had a muscle massage, ergotherapy - retraining for posture and cervical position, lymph drainage (a gentle massage of the surgical site - really helps the healing and lessens scar tissue), physical training - isolated isometric exercises, plus I daily met with a Medicos doctor and nurse for any medical assistance, bandage change, or medication follow-up.
The environment was very nice. The Medicos rehab facility is a multi-level environment attached by a walkway with the Marriott Hotel. We had a very nice room and meals available (3x day) for both my husband and I.
I know I should probably post all of this on the surgical outcome site, but I will do all that when I get back home - which will be tomorrow night!
I hope that I can give you some background information, but I'm sure that Dr. Zeegers provides a similar type of environment. If you would like...you may PM me and I would be happy to give you more information.
Good luck to you. I feel a little better (muscle wise) every day. I'm looking forward to having my life back.
Laura
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 AM

Default Thanks LauraB

The cost data is very helpful and critical for folks on a budget. Its funny when a doctor becomes fameous how they raise their fees significantly. When Dr. Zeeger was practicing in Croatia the fees were about half of what the Doc's in Germany charged. And yes $47,000 is a big Ouch for me a 2 level, which might be a little less than your 3.

Now that there are so many using the M6 disc its hard to know if you could travel else where and get the same quality of work for less $$$.

I've got to do something because nothing short of overdosing on anti-inflamatories and cold paks is the only way I can control my pain. Not one pain med did anything for my radiculopathy.

Best wishes and I'm interested in what you decide to have done and by who and where your surgery is done.

Thanks again for sharing.
Don

"In comparing cost between Dr. Bertagnoli (Germany) and Dr. Zigler (Texas), they were similar. Dr. B charges 28,008 euros (about 36,000 US) and Dr. Zigler quote was $34,950. Both quotes are surgical only quotes and do not include travel/hotel, however Dr. B.'s quote included a single hospital room and arrangement for my husband to stay with me (meals included) during my inpatient stay. Dr. Bertagnoli was also concerned that I have a suspicious level above (C3/4) that may also need attention and quoted 36,508 EU for a 3 level (about $47,000 US - ouch!)."
Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 AM

Hi Don,

Surprisingly, I had the same response from Dr. Bertagnoli. My original diagnostics indicated a stressed level at C3/4. Only Dr. Bertagnoli suggested the pre-payment for the 3 level - just in case. Dr. Bierstedt felt that he would make that decision in surgery, but felt that it more than likely would not have been necessary since the intervention at C4/5 might de-stress it. He did not charge me for this "potential" level, but indicated that if necessary, it would be 3000 euros additional (slightly less than Dr. Bertagnoli considering US conversion). Also, payment is made directly to the hospital and ONZ (Dr. Bierstedt's surgical group practice). Dr. Bertagnoli's wires go to an offshore account in Cypress (???) My concern was whether I would be reimbursed for a level that might not need surgery - or would I get the surgery anyhow.

I was fortunate that Dr. Bierstedt felt the level did not need intervention. His philosophy is that surgery should be the last resort and the level appeared better than expected once he corrected the other.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:52 AM

Default Experience with wiring money to Germany

Hi Laura,

Congratulations on your surgery. Based on yours and other experiences, I decided to go with Dr Beirstadt. I have a question that I'm not sure others have asked, how long did it take for your money to be received in Germany. I assume that you sent it from a U.S. Bank. I am a bit concerned on that amount of time it is taking. How did you know they received it? Thanks for your response.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 AM

Richard,
My money arrived 2 to 3 days after I wired and I received confirmation from Malte or Ken(can't remember). My bank had told me that it would take 2 to 5 days. You should be able to track the transaction.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt