ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM

I have no guarantee of any money either. We gave them a chance to pay limits twice and they denied despite medical bills of 12k and needing surgery
Car accident Aug 2011
Herniated L5-S1, C5-C6
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 PM

my lost wages and medical are in the 6 digits... but so is my income, so shelling out the max $40k for surgery (including travel, lodging, food, companion's expenses) was easily worth it.

i'm confused though - you mentioned a settlement?
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 AM

yes, my lawyer was contacted by the insurance company's attorney asking if policy limits were still on the table. In any personal injury case you can only recover the at faults coverages and what you carry in underinsured motorist coverage. Since the adjuster denied any payment twice I told my lawyer I wanted to reject the offer of policy limits and move forward with the suit. Anyway once I have the surgery I will easily be in the 6 figures. estimated 125 grand more if I end up getting fused and lose my military career
Car accident Aug 2011
Herniated L5-S1, C5-C6
Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Doc, i looks like ill be getting the hybrid. They wanna do a 2 level but that's not fda approved. Hopefully I'm scheduled soon. Do you know the recovery time frame?
Car accident Aug 2011
Herniated L5-S1, C5-C6
Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 PM

Recovery time can vary greatly from person to person. You can figure on a two level procedure taking on at least double the recovery time of a single level procedure. But, that's also a very generic guesstimate.

You should take a look at the Surgical Outcome part of the forum and comb through there for post-op cases that are similar to yours. They may not always be the same disc manufacturer you'll be getting but even procedures at similar levels can help greatly in giving you an idea of what others have dealt with in their journeys.

I was a single level procedure myself, so I can't speak from experience on the two level stuff, but I know that reading through others' journeys was a huge help in mentally preparing for the possibilities in my own recovery.

Glad it sounds like you've got a potential solution in place. Here's to hoping all goes well and your recovery goes smoothly so you can get back to living life to the fullest!

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM

congrats on having a plan!!! that's half the battle a lot of the time...

i take it you're in the US and having a US surgeon do it so, prodisc and ALIF? what insurance is covering it, and are they covering the full amount? (i'm not aware of hybrids being covered typically...)

my understanding is that you base recovery time on the longer recovery part of the procedure... so, 3-6 months from what i know of fusion recovery times.

it seems that surgeons vary quite a bit on their restrictions on lumbar fusion patients, but safe to say you wouldn't do any amount of significant lifting for AT LEAST 3 months... then varying from there.

There have been a few hybrid patients lately - jstuckey comes to my mind first - but hers was a slightly different fusion and an M6. also nanfromsactown and Hooch - but also different devices than you'd get in the US.

return to work will vary greatly depending on what kind of work you do. my job requires lifting 50 lbs or more (rarely, but it's possible), so i took 4 months after my 1 level ADR per the advice of my surgeon. COULD have gone back in 3 but since i switched jobs as well, 4 was doable and seems to have been a good number.

good luck!!!
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM

March 5th surgery date
Car accident Aug 2011
Herniated L5-S1, C5-C6
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 AM

Default Gchandler,

I have 2 cervical adr's and by the time I had my 2nd, I did not want to try to battle the insurance companies or anyone else anymore. I had my 2nd adr surgery by Dr Boeree, and would recommend him highly. I know I may have to have more surgery (Please God...no) but I would go back to Boeree in a second.

I hope you do not lose your job and can go overseas, best of luck to you.
Christine
09/2009 C6/7 Prodisc C ADR
11/2010 facet joint inj 12/2010 Rhizotomy TBI Dr. Cottingham months of relief
05/2011 facet Joint Inj 06/2011 Rhizotomy
7/2011 Dr. Zigler TBI, facet block and Discogram
11/18 surgery with Dr/Mr. Boeree..Thank God.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 AM

My Dr is Dr Kenneth Pettine
Car accident Aug 2011
Herniated L5-S1, C5-C6
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 AM

Congratulations on your surgery date! I see that you said that you are getting a hybrid. On your signature, I see that you have issues at L5-S1 and also a cervical disc. If you are having a hybrid at L4-S1, what are your issues at L4-L5 that are having you choose hybrid, rather than a single level?

All the best!

Karen
ADR L5/S1 Maverick L5/S1 Feb 6th 2012