ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 AM

JG: Please don't quote me on this, but I know HO is a big concern, and should be.... but I wonder if the high rate of auto-fusion may be linked to improper sizing and placement of the device. If I understand this correctly, it is more of a "surgeon" error or misjudgment rather than a device problem. Some ADRs may be more "prone" to this affliction, but again the device is suppose to fit COMPLETELY over the bone, never undersized. This will allow for the bone to grow into the device to secure, but not over and around it.
Please anyone "chime" in and correct me - I may have misunderstood what I read, but this was a great deal of concern for myself. I already have a fusion and don't plan on ANYMORE.

Also, JG I have to agree with you about this site. I had inquired in other forums, and found little, if nothing, for a response. I have gained so much knowledge from the members here; equally devoted to each other's well-being. I am hoping to find a site (equally active) for my daughter. She has "loose" ligaments and tendons (throughout her body) causing joint separation - knees being the most affected.
Any suggestions, anyone?
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Default Your daughter

The first thing that come to mind for your daughter is Prolotherapy. Here is one website that has a search for doctors feature:
Prolotherapy Twenty Common Questions | GetProlo.com
There are some, Anapurna, I believe that have had goos results. My wife is currently receiving Prolotherapy treatment for her shoulder and both her and our chiropractor believe she has had great improvement after 2 sessions, she had a third session this past Mon.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Thank you Todd. I will look into it. She is my next project (poor kid) once I fix myself up. I appreciate it - and sorry for the diversion - don't mean to stray from the thread.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM

If you want to email or PM, I can fill you in. Laura is hypermobile and we feel that is a large part of her problems with her knee and with the getting the two Prodisc-Cs to work for her.

The one comment I wish to offer about prolotherapy is that there is a great deal of snake oil being offered in that field. If you prefer to try your own research first, please go to someone with at least a national, if not international, reputation for doing it right. Prolotherapy done wrong might not lead to joint damage but the traumatic wallet-ectomy leads to long term care problems when you go broke for nothing.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Question

Thanks everyone, for welcoming Jeff with your thoughtful responses! You are great!

LauraB, let's talk offline about your daughter, I didn't want to hijack Jeff's thread. Dunno if I can help, but I will try. Joint problems and diseases is the focus of my non-profit organization.

Jeff, what's the latest?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 AM

Wink Gentleman from Canada who posted in the CareCure forums about Bryan Disc removal

I just stumbled across this thread and noticed that a member mentioned my post in Dr. Wise Young`s CareCure forum.

I had a Bryan Disc implanted at C5-6 in April, 2008 and explanted it in August, 2013 after having serious life threatening complications.

I am now fused from C4-C7.

I am 43 years of age with an athletic background.

I have a great deal of clinical and personal experience with pathological conditions of the cervical spine and with the Bryan Disc and its shortcomings.

If there is any way that I can be of assistance to the members in the forum, pease feel free to make inquiries.

Regards,

Neck-rosis
Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Neckrosis,

I had misunderstood that the Bryan disc had stopped production even before 2008 because of the high incidence of autofusion. That's obviously not the case. I know that others that are considering that device would benefit from your story if you'll take the time to write it up.

Thanks, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 01-06-2014, 12:41 PM

Smile About the Bryan Disc

Hi Jeff,

to put is simply, the Bryan disc was the first "Model A" Ford type of Cervical Aththroplasty to be approved. Many surgeons have steered towards the Prestige and other devices already.

The Bryan Disc is more HyperMobile than a natural disc, providing up to 22 Degrees of motion on both flexion and extension combined. This motion excess is further exacerbated when the posterior and anterior longitudinal ligament are severed during the discectomy and implant procedure. These two ligaments serve to stabilize each vertebral body and prevent them from subluxing (ie. Spondylolisthesis) out of alignment with each other.

Thus the implanted level ends up producing more motion during fexion and hyper-extension. The exaggerated hyper-extension causes early arthrosis of the facet joints and results in severe muscle spasming and neck pain eventually. My Pain symptoms began about a year post operatively.

The Bryan Disc also tends to create a Kyphotic deformity at the implanted level where none previously existed. This Kyphotic situation places the patient in greater risk of future injury since the normal lordosis and normal load bearing on the C-Spine has been compromised. This condition further narrows the spinal canal potentiating future bruising and micro trauma to the spinal cord.

Having said this, each patient is different and my experience different outcomes. This is why the medical community legally attempts to absolve full responsibility by disclaiming: " Proper patient selection is critical to outcome measures"

The Bryan disc should only be considered in single level disc disease where absolutely NO OTHER degenerative or adjacent degenerative
conditions are present. This places the Bryan disc as an alternative to fusion mostly for patients under 40 who have minimal degeneration in their spines.

I have lost motion now at 3 (C4-C7) levels several Moths ago and I still can't get accustomed to the loss of quality of life from the loss of motion.

If you wish to send me a PM message with your contact information please feel free to do so and I will contact you at my earliest convenience.

Regards,

Neck-rosis
Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 AM

Default Ban Disc

The Bryan was used by London Health Science Centre back in `01-`02 here in London Ontario. At the time it was hailed as breakthrough in spinal surgery, if you do a search you can still find the news release. Now, they do not do ADR, won't even talk about it. My doc' says it was because of the costs but who really knows. In the interim there are more than a few disc devices out there, if the Bryan was problematic, there are choices.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Default Bryan Disc

I remember going back to the Gym and training Months after the Bryan Disc implant and not feeling the same spine strength/stability in my overall spine most probably because the Anterior and Posterior Longitudinal Ligament are severed during the surgery.

I don 't recomend ADR's for athletes. These implants were not stress tested for the kind of loads and stresses that I was accustomed to placing on my body.

I remember reading all the Hype online about the Bryan disc and that's what got me hell bent on getting one.

Today I am one of a very few people around the world who has actually had a Bryan disc explanted.

Regards,
Neck-rosis