ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Default Adr

Hi Boxer78
I never suffered with new pain post op, I had some numbness down the outside of my left leg which kind of went over the top of my foot and big toe pre op,this went really quickly I'd say with in the first few weeks. One side affect i was told about was that after the op one leg can feel a bit warmer than the other, i never got that.As for the state of my disc looking at my mri scan pictures it was very clear that there was a problem at L5/S1 and I have no knowledge when it comes to scans and X-rays. It just looked very different from the others. After the op I did question Mr Dare as to what the disc was like and he said it was worse than he had expected. Although X-rays and MRI scans give a good picture I don't think get the full picture un till they get in and see it. My symptoms were constant pain 24/7.
November 2011 L5/S1 Disc replaced with M6
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Default Adr

Wow u def turned out great. It's amazing how so many people have different outcomes from the same procedure? So do u go to gym much? What exercises can u do?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:27 AM

Default Adr

I do go to the gym but not that regularly some times three times a week but some times not for a few weeks. When I go I use the running machine, spinning bikes, cross trainer and the step machine. I have never really do weights and that sort of thing properly although I do some times work my way around weights machine but that's usually just messing with a friend to see who can lift the most but I do quite like the one where you sit and lift the weights with your legs I have no idea what it's called! But given the option I would rather take my bike out with my daughter and dog and ride out to a country pub for a drink. I get bored very quickly in the gym and much prefer social activities like tennis and cycling.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:50 AM

Default Adr

Man if I took bike ride right now now I'd need a fire extinguisher to put out the fire on my feet and grion!!!! Great news for u! So u have no problem doing machines in the gym? How about crunches or sit ups? Amazing how bike rides don't bother ur back.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Adr

I'm thinking your much more in to your fitness than me!! I can do sit-ups but never really do them and I'm not sure what crunches are
None of the gym stuff gives my back any problems.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 AM

Default I too am from Canda

When I first heard of ADR and spoke in person and over the phone about the Canadians going overseas for ADR surgery I thought surely that they didn't look into it enough. I more I dug into the topic the more sad I became as I realized I was exactly in that group. Found one doctor that was starting to do ADR's nearby with, from what could tell with mixed results. I don't think he was doing multi level ADR's. Also, I heard, but didn't verify, that the disks used in Canada are only guaranteed for 5 years, that's what one of the people I talked to said, again, I didn't look into it. I went to dr. Bierstedt. The hospital in Hattengen was full service, clean and the nurses and doctors there new back and neck surgery. Dr B is a nice, down to earth neurosurgeon that makes you feel very comfortable. The post op care at Medicos was excellent.
Going through the forums other patients rave about their doctors and, as bad as back surgery is, I'm sure their experience was as good as it could be
Further to my research don't do back surgery in Canada, likely they would do a fusion, statistically in 5 years you'll be just as bad if not worse.
My 2 cents.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
Wow u def turned out great. It's amazing how so many people have different outcomes from the same procedure? So do u go to gym much? What exercises can u do?
Hi boxer,

Had the M6. Getting back to work. Sitting can be hard. I get up and move a lot. Pain is much better, I can get out of bed now without feeling like I'm going to fall down. I can walk about 1/2 mile at a more or less normal pace. People at work say I look a lot better.
Pre op the insurance people for disability only thought I would ever be able to work half time.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
Man if I took bike ride right now now I'd need a fire extinguisher to put out the fire on my feet and grion!!!! Great news for u! So u have no problem doing machines in the gym? How about crunches or sit ups? Amazing how bike rides don't bother ur back.
I'm back on my bike now, never would have thought about it Pre op. have a look at some of the work a Dr. Stuart McGill from the university of Waterloo is doing. His take on it is that sit ups and crunches are actually bad exercises for your back. Also Christopher Hole has a good website.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Adr

Thx for reply man. I'm still very curious about capabilities after recovery? Some do well others don't. When u say sitting is hard what do u mean? Where does it hurt?