ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM

Default New to group and need advice please

Hello. this is my first post. My name is Lisa and I have a couple autoimmune conditions, depression and now this. I am considering to have the PEEK spacer. I would love to hear any feedback, positive or negative regarding this procedure. I'm not sure if this is the correct website I should be on but it seemed like a place I could find answers. I've been under so much stress and pain trying to get this resolved. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!! I'm thrilled to have found y'all!!! Lisa
Cervical --- DDD at C5-6 & C6-7 with spasm. Severe bilateral formaminal stenosis at C5-6 and moderate to severe bilateral foraminal stenosis at C6-7, and exiting of nerve root at C6 and C7. Steroid shots, lasted about 6 weeks.
Lumbar --- Facet Arthropathy L5-S1 without neural encroachment.Foraminal stenosis moderate right L4-5 w/ exiting nerve root at L4 w/ combination of degenerative disk bulging and facet disease.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM

if i'm on the wrong site, can someone please redirect me.i don't know what an ADR is?
Cervical --- DDD at C5-6 & C6-7 with spasm. Severe bilateral formaminal stenosis at C5-6 and moderate to severe bilateral foraminal stenosis at C6-7, and exiting of nerve root at C6 and C7. Steroid shots, lasted about 6 weeks.
Lumbar --- Facet Arthropathy L5-S1 without neural encroachment.Foraminal stenosis moderate right L4-5 w/ exiting nerve root at L4 w/ combination of degenerative disk bulging and facet disease.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Welcome Lisa K,

An ADR is an artificial disc replacement. This board is a great resource.

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM

I'm looking to have a PEEK spacer. Does that fall into the ADR category?Thank you!!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa K View Post
I'm looking to have a PEEK spacer. Does that fall into the ADR category?Thank you!!
Hi Lisa, without being an expert in the subject, I looked at the website and the images of the PEEK spacer, it does seem to be a form of artificial disk. I am sure that you will hear from other more knowledgable members of this forum. Good luck with your issues. It is a journey.
April 2011: 2 level laminotomy; L4/L4 & L5/S1
More PT, pain meds and injections.
...and 2014, still researching ADR.
February 2014: endoscopic foraminotomy, Dr Bitan
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 PM

thank you. it's so good to hear from you. i'm looking forward to hear from others.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 AM

If this is correct, it is a spacer for a fusion. It's not an ADR, it's just something to hold the spaces between the vertebra during a fusion. Cervical Spine Vertebral Spacer PEEK-OPTIMA

That being said, I have concerns for you if your doctor is selling this as a "PEEK spacer", rather than a fusion. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not sure if I am reading this info right, but I would check with your doctor and confirm what kind of procedure this is. You want to go in fully informed.

Don't worry. You found the right place. I can't imagine you would be anything less than welcome here. We are all in the same boat. We just find different ways to get off of it! LOL!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 PM

The PEEK spacer falls into the category of cage fusions. It's a really good way to deal with a single level. I would, though, add to what Lillyth has said that you should learn as much as you can about what's going on. You have quite a few damaged spinal disks, both cervical spine and lumbar. If you don't understand why you have all of those levels going bad, you may not want to rush to a fusion. You do probably need to go with some fusions, given your facet damage, but I'd really want to know why so many levels went bad before I started fusing.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Default Very scared!!

I've read several post regarding contact with doctors in Europe. Will dr's overseas review films and give advice as to what they believe would be the best procedure for a person's condition?I have gotten a couple of opinions. The dr I had decided to go with, my insurance doesn't pay for surgery with him because he does surgery out of his office. I was extremely disappointed!!! But maybe that was blessing bcuz since, I've joined this group and am forced to see another doctor.I've heard fusion's are horrible and most people are in more pain AFTER the surgery. I am so scared.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM

Hi Lisa K,
Sorry you have to be here but welcome. To answer your question, yes, my Dr. In Germany reveiwed all my MRI and Xrays with no cost to me. I asked him for a second opinion and he wrote back very quickly and very uncomplicated. If you need more info, PM me, all the best to you.
Claudia
All my symtoms are GONE!