ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Hello lady's,gents and everyone..

I came here by accident and very glad i did, I am unfortunaly to late to be a candidate for ADR i already hada 3 level fusion 3 yrs ago and still in pain I have been under pain managment since not long after my fusion was found not to have worked I have permanent nerve damage and another disc bulging and maybe something else going on but here in the UK where i come from list test are a long time comming and i am again at the very beginning of more enquirys as to what else is going on..

I am the proud owner of the 'Intrathecal morphine pain pump' I have had this implanted for 2 yrs this yr, It as been wonderfull, It as not taken all my pain away but the benifits are that this pump is way way better than the life i lived when i took many oral pain medications, I was a zombie;
Sadly just latetly my pain as increased quiet alot along with sciatica again which is why we are going to investigate! I did fall in 2 seperate occasion just after xmas this yr so we are wondering if perhas i have done something or perhaps the disc above or below are starting to weaken? Or i'm getting tolerable to the morphine in the pump but they think that is most unlikely?

I have many other side effects caused from haviving been on high amounts of morphine and now the pump, all this together as put me through what the drs called a 'Early chemically menapause' and now i have early onset osteoporosis (Osteopenia) It is not bad yet but i'ma cause for concern, (that makes me feel important )I am on lots of hormone stuff to stop my menapause going any further ect, I have to have reg blood test now; the latest one showed i had a high cortisone level so have to have that checked again soon.

Right chappies gets some 'Tea and biccies' coz now here's some info on me and my family ..

I am a married Mum of 3 teenagers one boy and 2 girls all at college and school; all my back problems started when i was 20, I had my baby's with all the back pain but it was bearable then. I was not taken seriously untill i was 35 y/o and started to collapse in pain and numbness anywhere and anytime.
My local GP in the earlier yrs use to send me on my way with some what i now call light weight meds telling me i had a common back problem.
My condition worsened and started to keep me in bed weeks at a time so; My husband demanded a referal, The ortho when read my results from my MRI siad basicly my spine was like a car with no tyres! that made me sad and angry as if they would have done test lots sooner maybe my nerves would not be damaged and maybe i would not be living off morphine 24/7 But now I always say to people who ask how i am, That i'm thankfull i have my heart in working order it is only a dissability i have now, I walk with a cane my husband takes me everywhere or i have one of my lovely childeren with me at all times as i am still liable to fall I am up at my loacl hospital to have my refills every 4 weeks..
Well thats it for now.

If i can help anyone please don't hesitate to ask me i am here to help, unfortunatly I never had the help of the internet when i had my fusion so did not know what was out there on offer.
Kind regardes painpumpgirl xxxx
Old 04-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Banned

Recent article 4/19/05 in Wall Street Journal article about implantable spine stimulation devices that recharge themselves...do you have one of these?

My original referral to PM was for a spine stimulator but I had not even been on any oral pain meds so started me out and I've tolerated low dose Methadone for 4 years now, same dose as when I started so PM's said stick w/oral meds as long as dose is low..

Glad yours provided you with so much relief and I truly hope that whatever is going on now will be swiftly and easily rectified! Maria
Old 04-27-2005, 06:42 AM

Hello Mariaa.
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Mariaa I too was on many many different medications before i had the pump implant, The pump or spinal stimulation are usualy the very last resorts! The drs usualy want you to have tried all medications before even contemplating these procedures including surgery, physio so if your meds work or are tolerable to you you may as well stay on them as the pump/stim is very very invasive procedure plus they don't always take all your pain away they say a 50% reduction in pain is a positive.
I am having to go every 4 weeks for my refill now; origanaly they thought i would have gotten 3 months apart before each refill but due to the high amounts of meds i have refilled it is unfortunatly a shorter time and each time i get a sick feeling and very nervous you would have thought i would be used to it by now would'nt you but i'm def not .

Marriaa, in regardes to your question on weather i have a rechargable battery for my pump? "no i do not unfortunatly it will have to be more surgery to be replaced in about 2 and half yrs maybe before due to the amounts of refills i have making the pump work harder.

Thanks again.

best wishes painpumpgirl x
Old 04-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator

You are so sweet to introduce yourself and offer help. I hope that works both ways -- and welcome to our family.

PS: I saw the WSJ article last week...I can dig it up next week if I can recall my passwords to the WSJ -- anyone else?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Harrison.
Hello nice to meet you too I'm sure it will work both ways; infact i have a question i'm about to unload on your lovely little home right now so wish me luck in getting an answer.

Hugs painpumpgirl. x
Old 04-29-2005, 03:30 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am new also, just logging in today. My husband had a triple ADR L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1., on February 14th,2005 in Straubing Geramny, with DR. Bertagnoli. We found our experience to be profoundly wonderful, IE: Dr.Bertagnoli's integrity as well as the rest of the health care team at St. Elisabeth's, and including our hotel stay, and the wonderful residents os Straubing....we however figured most of this on our own....

Our referral to Dr. Bertaghnoli was through Dr. James Yue in Connecticut, (because, as you all know a triple is not possible in the US yet)and he had a patient help with basic info, but nothing as currrent as what I'm reading here. Fortunately, I am tenacious and willing to meet people as well as expect that most people are decent and wonderful and only want to help. Sometimes you get what you look for!

Wish we had found you sooner, I am weeping at all your stories, and our positive experience has compelled me to help where I can. I was a quick study of the language and customs of Germany and made many new friends in the healthcare community. This has been so delightful after 14 years of my husbands debilitating, back pain and failed surgeries.

I need to get my husband to read your stories, he is healing beautifully, but it will be a long haul and he often times feels very isolated, indeed pain is very isolating.

We are attending the conference in NYC this weekend, and look forward to meeting some of you!

All the best,

Anita Peludat
Bio-active bone cement used at all three levels in Germany after osteoporosis was discovered in OR. (false negative bone densit
Old 04-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Welcome!!!

Good to have more people from the UK!!!