ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 AM

Default Really freaking out.

Well… I have a cervical compression. A couple weeks ago I started to really lose my balance and feel dizzy. I was sick at the time when it started with bronchitis so I fgured it was because I was sick. Well, now I'm not sick. I asked my doctor if my lack of balance and dizziness was because of my compression. He said it could be….. well … My bad. I googled it and i found Cervical Veritigo. Anyone every have it? its says you could lose your vision.
I had such high hopes htat I was going to do a second appeal with Blue Crap /Blue **** .. well it looks like they won…I don't want to go blind fighting them.
Sorry I am in a bad place. They just want me to die and go away...
Cervical compression with clinical myelopathy with Hoffman's
Tests; MRI's, EMG/NC studies, discogram, CT scan
Pain management; tens unit, ice and heat, physical therapy, chiropratic care, and spinal epidural treatments.
Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Ohio external third party approved Pro-C ADR at C 5-6 on 4/3/13
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 AM

Default Compression

So what does doc say? I don't understand insurance is refusing to treat you?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Boxer,

BC/BS says on my surgeon pre-authorization that a bi-level ADR was not medically necessary and the surgery is experimerimental/investigational.

1st level of appeal was denied to investigational/experimental says Blue Crap/Blue ****. Now what?
Pain management; tens unit, ice and heat, physical therapy, chiropratic care, and spinal epidural treatments.
Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Ohio external third party approved Pro-C ADR at C 5-6 on 4/3/13
Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM

Running,

I used to suffer from dizziness/vertigo and nausea before my adr. It was insult to injury in my book. Not only did I have a lot of pain when I try to walk, but the little walking that I could do made me ill. I too had BC/BS. They refused to cover my adr as well. I ended going overseas to have my surgery done.

I know that in some instances BC/BS will cover an overseas surgery. I have no clue why insurance works the way it does.

Is there anyway you can afford to go overseas to have your procedure done?

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 AM

Running,

I had a very similar occurrence that culminated in my double ADR in 2009.

After two fusions almost a decade prior I began having issues again in Jan 2008. After a months of chiropractic, my symptoms resolved. On Sept 21, 2009 they returned with a VENGENCE, leaving me incapacitated in pain. Another month of chiropractic made little more than a dent in my symptoms (I could then ride in a car, but I still couldn't open a door). An MRI suggested that I was developing myelomalacia, which would leave me somewhere between quadriplegic and dead. My only chance was to have spinal decompression surgery ASAP.

I knew in Jan'08 that I'd be having surgery (a third time) soon. I spent a year researching options and knew that when the time finally did come exactly what I planned to do. I knew that my carrier wouldn't pay and fortunately I had the resources to pay out of pocket for a double ADR. When I was told that I'd my only chance to avoid quadriplegia or death was immediate surgery, I already had a plan.

I say all of that to say ... you're not alone and that many (myself included) have been there before. Will immediate intervention mitigate your chances of blindness? Has a doctor told you this? Is this your own diagnosis?

BTW: since surgery I've not died or become quadriplegic; and have completed four more marathons. I would encourage you to complete your research ASAP and pursue treatment (whatever it is). Fusion, distasteful as it it, is not as bad as blindness.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 AM

For the record, I have had my cervical vertigo since 2007, so six years. I remember now because it was the year my dad died.

Even if you could go blind, the chances of that happening right away are not likely. I know you told me you wanted to wait until summer when the kids are out of school. I'm not a doctor, but as someone with the same condition who has had it for six years (almost to the year) I would say you can probably safely wait a few months, though do check with your doctor.

I cannot stress this enough: after you spend 10% of your income on medical bills, the rest are right-offs at 100%, so if you have to take out a loan, DO IT! It's only for a year. In the end, I think my husband and I will shell out a grand total of 8 or 9k, which is not bad at all, considering.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM

Lilly and Jeff,

Thanks for your replies. I am having the cervical vertigo and I did tell my surgeon that I was having these symptoms. He said I very well could be since he says my cervical compression is moderate-severe. I looked it up in Google and it said blindness and I had an anxiety attack over the symptoms. The internet can be a scary place! Lol… My surgeons next question is when your going to have your fusion surgery? This particular doc thinks ADR is tricky and my neck is curved 6 degrees and dosen't feel ADR would be stable enough. However, the other surgeon I went to believes he can help me with a bi-level ADR. That being said BCBS has denied ADR surgery for me.
I don't want a multi-level fusion, I want an ADR. I put in my second-level appeal today. Ok, I just felt like a toddler with those statements. I want to run and feel alive. My husband said he is fearful of me having surgery oversees. I would prefer Dr. Clavel. I have no idea where I would get the funds….
Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Running,

A two level cervical fusion is not a contraindication against running. I've completed eight marathons with two cervical fusions. While a single fusion results in a 25% chance of requiring a second fusion within 10 years, a double fusion carries with it a "significantly" less chance of requiring a third fusion; all of that per Dr Alan Hilibrand's 1999 study.

While a multilevel cervical fusion will bring a noticeable reduction in mobility (looking up, riding a road bike on the drops, backing a car, etc...), it's not going to keep you from doing what you want do do.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM

She has lumbar issues too, Jeff.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 PM

You can do postural exercises to remedy that curve. I've done it. It works. My spine is a totally different shape than it was six months ago.