ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Default New painful issues-any ideas? Looking for recomended surgeon in CT.

In addition to all my current pain (see "signature" for details) and medication related issues recently, I seem to have developed a couple other problems which are concerning me. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar, and how significant they are. I have an appointment scheduled with my surgeon for April 1st which I am constantly attempting to get moved up to discuss my changing issues with him, but that isn't working out well so far. You'd think I was trying to schedule a visit with the President! Maybe it's time to look into another surgeon.

My first relatively new issue is that I almost daily experience numb, tingling sensations from both of my feet. Almost like the sensation as if they "went to sleep". This, along with most of my nerve-related sounding type symptoms used to come and go. Only the lumbar back and right-hip pain were constant. My right leg pain has become more frequent again too - almost daily. The feet and leg issues started on a more regular basis about 3 to 4 months ago.

The most irritating and more painful issue I've developed is that I cannot sit properly at my desk or drive a car for more than an hour to an hour and-a-half without a constant, fairly severe pain coming from my "tail bone" (sorry - I don't know the medical term!) The pain gets increasingly worse until I stand up, which this also makes considerably difficult! Once standing, the pain goes away relatively quickly. If I ride in a car as the passenger with the seat greatly inclined as usual, I have no pain at all. Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

I guess my last new issue is more of a complaint than anything else. I was told after the only Thorasic MRI which I had (all the others were lumbar), that my T12 showed signs of herniation or bulging. I have begun experiencing a lot of pain emanating from the center of my shoulders, and over to the right shoulder fairly regularly. Anyone know if an issue with a T12 disk could cause this sort of pain? I am unsure how far up the back the T12 disk is located. If and when I finally see my surgeon I will certainly be asking him too!

One last, quick question: Can anyone make any suggestions as to any neurosurgeons who they have had good luck with anywhere in the state of CT? I am currently seeing Dr. Yue out of Yale New Haven, CT. I've been a patient of his for approximately 2 years, but do not feel as if I am being treated as one (over 2 month wait for a so-called existing patient??). Since time is all I've got, it certainly can't hurt to see even a couple more doctors - especially if they come recommended.

Sorry for rambling on (again)! Thanks - Jeff
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Default Hey!!!!

I had my independent medical review March 9th by Dr Wikesekera seemed great. Had many different ideas and possibilities. Spent plenty of time with me.

Although, he did not give his full endorsement of ADR he did perform the surgery so he is well versed in all techniques. Anyway, its worth a phone call.

The report did take weeks to a month to get.

Sorry to here your nightmare is ongoing.

Dr. Yue is booked thru June and into July.
Dec 2008-Positive Discogram (L4/L5 & L5/S1 annular tears)
Dr. Yue at Yale Hospital, CT
Diagnosis - Need bi-level ProDisc ADR
Worker Comp Ins will only pay for one level
Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Hi Tom!

Where is Dr. Wikesekera located? Is he at Yale too? If not, what town(s) is his office in and do you know what hospital(s) he is affiliated with?

I was involved in a car accident on March 2nd after I had started this thread originally, and my pain has nearly doubled! I saw Dr. Yue on April 1st, only so that I could struggle with his office staff to finally get another MRI scheduled for this Thursday, April 23rd. Without going into the boring details, the main reason for the delay is that he was once again off jet-setting around the world and had not correctly filled in my MRI request paperwork! Grrrrr!

I cannot help but worry that this sort of treatment could carry on post-surgically if I am able to push for a hybrid surgery and get my med ins to pay for it. I was looking into another surgeon out of Hartford, CT named Dr. Becker and the soonest I could see him is July as well.

I guess after so much time spent with Dr. Yue I need to at least see if I can get an appointment to review this new MRI and listen to what he has to say, as well as ask my new questions.....

I am going to try acupuncture for the first time tonight. Yes - I will try just about anything to get some relief! Since we last corresponded I have had to begin wearing a back-brace and occasionally even using a cane! I can't even swim anymore.

Good luck to you!
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Dr Wikesekera

www.togct.com/meet_doctors/docs_listing.html

James he is affiliated with St Raph's new haven.
Dec 2008-Positive Discogram (L4/L5 & L5/S1 annular tears)
Dr. Yue at Yale Hospital, CT
Diagnosis - Need bi-level ProDisc ADR
Worker Comp Ins will only pay for one level
Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Before my fusions (yes, I know this is an ADR board, but insurance blocked my ADR request), I had tingling/numbness in my right foot and half the leg. This is somewhat common, and depends on how the disc bulging/herniation presses against nerves. However, it is not common to have both feet numb.

Probably, the annular tears on your herniated discs are not aligned and press against nerves in different ways.

Once you have a successful procedure, the tingling/numbness should go away through time. However, you can expect the numbness to return on occassion during the first 6-24 months. It takes awhile for the nerves to calm down.
Intrepid Fusion L4-L5, 7/08
Increasing pain since solid fusing, 1/09
Bilateral Transforaminal Injections 3/09
Facet Joint Injections (L3-S1) 4/09
RF Ablation (Medial Branch) 5/09
CT Scan, MRI w/ contrast (no new info) 5/09
Latest:
- I wake up with no pain
- Stand/sit for 15 mins., pinching pain begins
- Pain at center, core L4-L5
- Lying down, pulsing/throbbing pain for 2-3 hours
- Taking 6 Norcos/day