ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Default arthrogram MRI of shoulder & considering PRP

Greetings,

I'm placing this in the "Big File" as I realize the forum is primarily about spinal problems and solutions and not about the shoulder joint. I'm just curious if any members have had experience with a shoulder arthrogram MRI, and if so - how long will the pain last (if they even had pain). After having had a myelogram, I should have known it wouldn't be easy. My original shoulder MRI was not clear, so the second with contrast was ordered and performed yesterday. I was concerned about the dye but really should have been more concerned about the test's invasive nature/higher pain levels which were already 7/8, and it feels as if they mistakenly left the needle in the joint. The anesthesiologist had a difficult time using only lidocaine, as they had not planned on giving me a local. He barely placed the needle into the joint, and I was trying to jump off the table, at which time the surgical assistant started an IV with fentanyl.

Depending on what he sees in the new image, the ordering ortho dr. may utilize PRP. I've discussed PRP with Annapurna and was hopeful that I'd find a dr. in the Houston area who was reputable as he warned there is a lot of snake oil out there, but I've had a difficult time even locating an ortho who could interpret the first MRI. Fortunately, I found an ortho dr. last month and he took time going over the original image with me - without the rad. report in hand - and explained exactly what he could see and what was unclear. I wasn't aware that the dr. used PRP until last week during my pre-MRI consult. According to his claims, he has performed PRP on himself, dozens of knee and shoulder patients, and 3 professional athletes in our area - all had positive results. I really should confirm with Hauser and Adleson, as Annapurna advised.

That said, after viewing the first MRI, the dr. saw what appeared to be 2 loose bodies and a slightly deformed humeral head. The bicep appeared to be intact but with some fuzziness in the image/ rotator cuff appeared to be intact. He did not see severe arthritis as the first rad. report indicates and which my symptoms did not correlate with. This particular ortho dr. has an excellent track record from what I see. Last year, repaired a close friend's arthritic knees with double (partial) replacements. She had been on a cane and semi-immobile for over 2 years and is now walking normally without pain. He also performed a successful shoulder scope for her son-in-law last month, and most recently a hip replacement for another friend who is now up and walking with a cane/wife's assistance/ limited walker (perhaps I should hang out with a different crowd This ortho is affiliated with one of the major hospitals in med center where the PRP blood is prepared. I'm optimistic, yet a bit frustrated with the higher pain levels and concerned that the arthrogram may have caused a set back. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Holly

Torn annulus L4/L5
ADR with Active L successful, 2009
Bonn, Germany
Old 01-29-2014, 10:11 PM

I had a shoulder MRI with contrast in mid-December of last year. I'd say the pain went away within a few days.

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.