ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaseonlife View Post
I know AIMIS takes workman's comp cases, so I would like to assume that some of the other overseas doctors do too.
What great news! Thank you for sharing that!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM

Thx I really appreciate it!! I have to go meet with our police surgeon to clarify what is allowed as far as "hardware" in my body. I have screws in my knee so maybe il be ok w the ADR. It's amazing that I'm the only one considering something like this on my job. Workmans comp told me that if I received treatment outside of the country or their reccomendation my case would be closed permanently. Basically I'm like fuck it I'm gonna show everyone that I can be healed from this on my own w my own money and return 100% even though I'm risking everything, six figure job, pension, personal health, health benefits (if this fails I will have no health insurance bc I need 10 years on my job to be vested and receive health ins if I retire. Gonna roll the dice bc I can't go on like this with incompetent docs, warped health care system and a broken comp system. So u gettn everything lined up for the big day??
Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM

Yup. Getting there. But first we are still unpacking. I do NOT recommend a major move AND major surgery at the same time. I'm glad we got all moved over, but GEEZ this is a lot to be planning all at once! I think I am going to sleep for a year!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:24 PM

I am super excited for you, Lillyth!!!!

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 PM

Thank you! I just SO wish I could import Claire to my Barcelona experience!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 AM

Boxer,

A quick reply. Yes, there have been cops and firemen who have gone back to work after ADR.
A couple contraindicated things are lifting really heavy weights and hyperextending the back.
BTW, my herniations were "small", the second one, just a bulge.

It doesn't matter the size, because it is the DDD that causes the pain and symptoms. You can have a small herniation and have it leak chemicals onto the nerves and hence you get nerve pain.
I had doctors tell me that my herniations were small, but what was large was the pain and the symptoms.

Good luck,
'K
Old 03-13-2013, 04:25 AM

Default Adr

Thx for post! So u know guys that went back full duty and their job had no problem w liability? Man I just wanna jump on a plane and get fixed but I cant
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Default Had ADR In Barcelona Went Back to work

I am one of the cops that had ADR and went back to work. I was a ptrol supervisor. This was in 2010 I was in the same situation as you. Workers Comp. tough to prove (California) as injuries we're cumulative. They Blue Cross would not approve ADR only fusion. Went through two appeals with them to no success. Finally did research on all the over sea's Doc's. and decided on Dr. Clavel in Barcelona. I had level using M-6 as C 4/5 & 5/6. Surgery successful went back to work with no issues. I did finally retire after 30 yrs. of service. Hope this helps.
01/15/2008 Evaluated via MRI UCSF Spine Center. Recommended sinlge level C 4/5 ADR with Pro Disc or fusion. 02/23/10 Evaluated via MRI UCSF Spine Center. Recommended two level C 4/5 & 5/6 ADR with Pro Disc or fusion. ADR denied by BC. Appealed, lost two appeals. Patient refused fusion.
2005-2008 Unknown cause of spinal stenosis at C 4/5.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Default Adr

Hey thanks for reply. I'm looking at a lumbar replacement and my job is clueless as to what to do not to mention comp who just laugh at me. Did u use sick time for recovery time? How long we're u out? Do u know of anyone w lumbar surgery who went back full duty? Thanks again!!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Default Boxer

Hey Boxer I too am in law enforcement with just about 20 years on. My injury is being handled by work comp in CA. I see my attorney tomm to go over further details but worried I may have to medically retire before I get an unauthorized surgery in Germany.

Have you decided on which Dr you want to be treated by.
2013 sent med records to Dr Bierstedt. Suggests M6 ADR on L-4 to S-1. Had to medically retire as a detective which was very hard to do. City I work for will only approve fusion or hybrid under work comp for two level.
2013 Aug 27th surgery date with Bierstedt. (Had to pull the trigger) M-6 disks on L4-S1