ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Hi, new here

Hi, I'm new here although I've read through some of the threads from time to time.

My pain started up in September of 2011. It began with severe lower back pain, eventually moved down my leg and by December the majority of my pain was in both feet as they felt freezing all the time and had me laying in bed all the time. I think my back would have healed itself, but I stayed active and did things like lifting weights instead of resting, I didn't realize how serious it could get.

I became pretty much bed ridden from Jan to April 2012. Epidurals helped me get back on my feet for a bit though. I had my first MRI in Jan 2012. I'm going to copy paste the main parts:

L4-5: Mild bulge and mild facet hypertrophy. Central disc extrusion is noted with slight inferior migration. There is mild canal stenosis as a result without definite root compression.

L5-S1: Mild bulge and mild facet hypertrophy. Small central protrusion. No definite root compression or neural foraminal narrowing.

IMPRESSION:

Degenerative disc disease and facet hypertrophy L4-5 and L5-S1 without stenosis.

Central extrusion with slight inferior migration L4-5, but no definite root compression.

Small central protrusion at L5-S1 without definite root compression

From this MRI and my main symptoms at the time being slight back pain and feet coldness and numbness to the point of being hard to function I saw 5 different surgeons.

First one at UC Davis - Said he would not do a micro discetomy, but would do a double fusion. He said to try to live with it for awhile and see if it gets better as his concern at my age of 32 degeneration of other areas was a concern.

Dr in Private practice - Recommended a fusion at the L5-S1 and ADR above. When insurance denied this we eventually went with a microdisectomy.

Dr. at UCLA - Said he recommended a microdiscetomy for my symptoms. He said there was no evidence at this point ADR's were superior to fusions when I asked about them and seemed like he preferred fusions strongly. As I was looking at a microdiscetomy I didn't push further.

Dr. at Kerban Joble - At this point my epidural was helping quit a bit, but he recommended a microdiscetomy only if I did need surgery. When I asked about ADR's he told me that I would probably have to have it removed and could bleed to death during that surgery. Basically disregarded it and made it sound like they don't work and are very risky.

Dr. Delamarter - Looked at my MRI's. We talked a little. He wanted to run a test to see which disk the l5-S1 or L4-L5 were causing the pain. I never had the test done and wasn't able to get his opinion as I decided to get the microdiscetomy at this point.

A very confusing experience. My feet have been getting slightly better but my back has had thoracic pain as well for the past year. This may be a separate issue. I first noticed thoracic pain after I tried the DRX 9000 for 10 sessions. My thoracic pain kicked up on my last session of this as the Chiropractor turned the machine on high and pulled on the belt as well. I have a suspicion this is where it comes from, but it could be radiating from my lower back problems. In the past month my lower back pain became bad again. I was doing okay before that, I was functional and not thinking of my back 24/7 but definitely didn't feel good about my back I'm trying to do PT to get out of it, but preparing for my options in case it becomes severe. I'm limited in what I can do, but I can get out of chronic pain by a very boring lifestyle of bed, walk, sit for a little and bed.

My concerns now are that my back has become curved in the thoracic area and my waist was shifted way over for awhile too. I also am showing more arthritis from my last MRI in July. I'm not sure surgery would even help with my issues at this point and I'm concerned a ADR wouldn't hold with the weakening of my thoracic back and more arthritis. I am going to see a couple surgeons just to begin talking with them again and seeing when surgery would be an option. I'm not there now, but a double fusion or hybrid are probably my options if I get there.

Thanks
Microdiscetomy 12/18/12 on L5-S1
The numbness in my feet has got a little better, but I'm having lower back pain for the past month
Old 09-02-2013, 02:03 AM

Default hi cwb

Welcome,

Kind of mixed feelings, don't want you to have back problems, but if you do, kind of think people here might be able to help.
For myself, my lower back pain was completely different from my upper back pain. I have MPS, that I was able to manage. When my lower back went out, that's when I could barely get out of bed, always felt like I was going to collapse. Had to walk with an aid.
I've read the radiologist report that you posted. I take it the DRX 9000 is a device that basically stretches you, probably with you breathing in oxygen.
Their are many here that can provide their experience with you.
Wish you the best, and low pain levels.
I'm sure many will post soon.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 AM

thanks Stonewall,

I know my post was long, but it has most of my history. I probably should just post my new mri and my current conditions and concerns to get opinions about my back. I'm going to see a surgeon this week just to get an opinion on it all. I think my thoracic pain is something that surgery isn't an option and I can get control of with meds at times. My main issues are if my lower back goes out and I have a curve that developed suddenly in my spine. I'm wondering if it's from a microdiscetomy. I have got some of my lower back pain under control so I'm hoping they say just keep strengthening it and I'm guessing form the little I've read they will say that the curve is something that my cure itself or be there for life. Maybe I'll find recommendations for it or I may need to find a forum with people who have adult on set scoliosis, if that is what it turns out to be.
Microdiscetomy 12/18/12 on L5-S1
The numbness in my feet has got a little better, but I'm having lower back pain for the past month
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 AM

Default mri image

Hi,

I believe you've posted the radiologist report. In my case that really meant very little. I had to get the MRI image on CD. Ran it through a program that sliced it into images. When I got those images I emailed them to doctors for their assessment. For me 3 in the US and 3 in Germany. 5 came back stating that I needed 3 levels addressed l3 to s1. The mayo clinic did not get back to me.
Do you have your MRI on CD so that you can email the images to doctors?
Anyone else from adrsupport have any ideas?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 PM

Default hi cwb

What is that dwx 9000 that you mentioned in your original post?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Administrator

The DRX 9000 is a computer-assisted traction. Plenty of topics on it through the years, just do a search:

ADRSupport Community - Search Forums
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 AM

CWB,

Hi. Welcome to the site.
Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read some of the comments from the doctors you have seen.
I heard similar things when I was looking into getting an ADR in 2007 and 2008. Finally, got one in 2008.
After I had researched ADRs and learned what they were about, I just really considered those doctors that said that the inner core of the ADR would most likely spring out and cut my Aorta and I would bleed to death, uneducated about back surgery.

The doctor at UCLA? I might know him. A couple of years ago, one of the prominent UCLA doctors was speaking at a seminar I went to. He basically said there was no evidence that ADRs would last. Well, I stood up and told him about the four? (about that) years I had with mine. He just wouldn't be swayed.
I am surprised at Kerlan Jobe clinic. I suppose they are better at shoulders than evidence-based back care.

Delamarter probably wanted you to have a discogram? A test that can show you have a painful disc. It is very important to figure out what your pain generator (s) are.
If one disc is causing you pain and you fix the one that is not, you haven't fixed your pain generator and you can end up in the same pain. Also the back is incredibly complicated and there are several things that can cause back pain.

Regarding your MRI, what did they say about your degree of facet hypertrophy? Doctors in the U.S. generally don't do ADRs on patients whom have significant facet hypertrophy while as I understand, Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany, for example, will do ADRs on patients with more than minor facet hyperthrophy.

Also, CWB, I have found out in my case, at least, that the MRI does not show everything. I had an MRI and it did not show an annular tear that was there. Neither did my CT after discogram, however, my pain doc who did the discogram could see the tear on fluoroscopy during the discogram.

I am sure more people will chime in soon. This is a place where you can post long and people will help you.

Kimmers