ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Intoruction, thanks, and some questions!

Hello all.
I have been checking in on this site for a few weeks now but never introduced myself properly. I want to express my deep gratutude for all the information and insight and compassion that I have found on these pages...It has been helpful and has made me realize that ADR is a sound option for me.
I had a big L5-S1 blowout in the summer of 2007 with progressive cauda equina symptoms so I had surgery in Sept. 07 -- a discectomy/laminectomy where they had to take out the entire disc nucleus and go through the bone on both sides to get to it. I have had a very difficult recovery, with increasing back pain lately as my spine "settles" and persistent nerve problems in both feet and legs ("buzzing" foot pain when I walk or stand more than 15 minutes, and a bit of roaming sharp/radiating pain).
So, now I am looking into ADR. I know there are excellent surgeons in the U.S. (my own surgeon in SF included) who are doing the ProDisc. But I remain concerned about the great FDA lag...and the fact that the approved devices here have long been left behind by German surgeons who are using devices two or three generations ahead of us. So...My big decision is whether to go to Germany, and within that decision (I am leaning toward it) is this one: Activ-L versus Maverick-T.
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois only through the end of this year, as my employer just announced they are yanking it and giving us UnitedHeallthcare...I think my hope of a ProDisc reimbursement under Blue Cross is/was maybe decent...under United HealthCare probably less...And if I go to Germany? Has anyone ever heard of a U.S. insurance carrier reimbursing for a way-out-of-network procedure done in Germany, using a device that's not even FDA approved yet? (probably not).
I am trying hard to go through the literature on these various devices but there are not many long-term studies out there and I don't think there is anything that compares the Activ-L or the Maverick-T to other discs...only to fusion. Anybody know?
That is a long rambling introduction. Mostly I wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you who have taken the time to share your stories on this site. They have been helpful to me. If anyone wants to tackle any of my other questions, great.
Wishing good healing to all of you,
Leora
Large central L5-S1 herniation in late July 07 with progressive cauda equina symptoms. Laminectomy/discectomy on Sept 7 2007. Very difficult recovery. Still on disability, working 2 hrs/day from home in a chaise lounge Nerve issues in both legs an
Old 10-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Hi Leora, and welcome. I just joined a few days ago too, and the amount of information here is amazing. I am hoping to get a Maverick disc (four actually), but don't know anything about the other one you mentioned.

Where are you thinking of going for the surgery?

L4/5/S1- Mod. narrowing, bulging disc, significant hypertrophy of flava lig.

Highly allergic to all metals.

NEW: 3/16/2010: Successful surgery in Brazil w. Dr. Pimenta; Nuvasive NeoDisc at C5/6, and XLIF & ALIF at L4/5/S1 w. PEEK cages. No rods, screws, plates. Non-metal lumbar ADR not available at present time, so went with fusion.