ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:57 PM

I just received the letter stating that my "in person" appeal has been granted (like they can deny me anyway) and it is scheduled for March 28, 2005 @ 2pm. I get a whole 15 minutes to "provide additional informationtion that may be helpful to the Panel in considering my request". 15 minutes.....please.....do they think I am an auctioneer or what?????? This whole thing just gets more frusterating as time passes. DuPuy has planned to send out a representative to attend the appeal with me but why? for 15 minutes? They also want new information. When I spoke on the phone with the appeal coordinator she basically told me that I can go ahead an appeal to the highest level but they will still deny based on investiogational. She said "the FDA even said themselves that they do not know the longterm outcome and efficacy (spelling???) of the Charite. Until that information is provided Regence will continue to deny all pre-auths and claims for this surgery". Ok, so after that comment and just finding out that I have 15 minutes to appeal why I need the surgery......my hope has just gone out the window.

I do not have the finances to have this surgery here or out of the country. I had hope that my insurance company would come thru eventually. but it sounds as if that may just not be the case.

The last piece is I need "new" information for this appeal. "New" meaning something that I have not already sent in my last 2 appeals. I dont have any more information. I have sent them ever piece of information that I could get my hands on. 180 pages of information.

Anyway, I hope and pray that the rest of you dont have to go through this hell with the insurance companies. I know that at some point they will be forced to approve but I can not wait that long.

Sincerely,

ADR June 15, 2005 WOOOO HOOOOO
Herrniated L5-S1, Tear in Annulus
Old 03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Nichole, did you see the this latest study? I was surprised that more people did not comment on the significance of these findings -- this is a huge deparature from the status quo!

The real question for your stupid insurance company is why they want to deny you a "better" medical solution...

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-04-2005, 07:18 PM

Nicole, the A-MAV and Charite study is supposed to be coming up by early April. Have you been able to find any more on that option? The A-MAV is the modified Maverick with the shorter keel.

I'm still considering it if my insurance does not approve the Charite request.

Brady
Old 03-04-2005, 07:56 PM

nicholle: You are such a trooper to hang in there. The insurance companies depend on intimidation and you have proved that you can't be intimidated. Thank you from all of us for hanging in there so long. Eventually I feel that insurance companies including Medicare will fall in line and routinely approve ADR. I wonder if the insurance companies can be intimidated right back by all the possible suits that will follow because of their denials. Our alternatives are (fusion or do nothing) neither of which are desireable. I certainly hope that they have taken the time to read your 180 pages of evidence and testemonials. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:16 PM

You're ALL amazing!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:09 AM

Does anyone know if ADR treatments are being done in India? You mentioned that finances are the major stumbling block for you, and I found an article about a guy who had a hip replacement done at a clinic over in India and payed only 25% of what he would have paid for the same surgery here. Here's the link: http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/...lnews&id=72682 . If this article is legitimate (let's hope so), who knows, maybe we'll all be having ADR's in India by the end of the year.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:34 PM

ADR is being done in China, however the person who went to see this did NOT have the proceedure done there.Cost in China �3,000

India is a good health system and cheap E mail a hospital for details
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 03-05-2005, 01:48 PM

Nichole,
We like you did not have the money to go overseas which was the only option for me, because FDA would not allow a 2 level cervical here. I had already had 2 lumbar levels done in the FDA study back in 2002 and knew that the ProDisc worked for me, so I was freaking out at the thought of a fusion. With a lot of checking things out we found out that we could borrow the entire amount to go to Europe from our 401K plan and cut our contributions to it to be able to begin paying it back with no out of pocket a month costs. We prayed a lot and after 3 months it all came together. We made the trip to Bogen, Germany in January and I had the surgery. God even saw fit to have someone give up three seats in Business class and take my seat on the plane in economy so that I could lie down on the trip back to the States. It was incredible how it all came together!
Best Wishes,
Linda

10-02 - ProDiscs L4/5 and L5/S1 - FDA study - disks placed incorrectly which
caused problem at L3/4 and L2/3
01-05 - ProDiscs at C5/6 and C6/7 in Germany - seems to be working fine so far
Bedbound from 09-06 until 10-08 due to severe pain and weakness
09-08 - Had Fibrin sealant done at L3/4 and L2/3 After 6 weeks - much success!
Hoping and praying that the lumbar revision surgery that was scheduled with Dr. Regan
can be indefinitely postponed
Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 PM

Good luck Nicole - I have my 3rd appeal also in person this coming Thurs. - same amt. time alloted. Of course it is a 6 1/2 hr drive each way for me & I still have a ahrd time sitting esepcially that long so it will be interesting - will cost us a hotel stay too the nite b/4 , but I am gambling that we will fight to still get some of the well spent 21,5 K we paid plus plane plus hotels that we wont get back
It is BCBS PPO we have & I had Pro disc done my arguement is the procedure to prep for this disc is the same as a fusion is or for the Now approved Charite that BCBS is paying for - just dont pay for the disc only 3k of that expense for overseas at the time - they will be paying only for international rates also discounted

I am saying pay us something or I will have to go to atty - & they can pay if we win & I will want a jury trial.

Anyone with BCBS info is appreciated - PM me - thanks - & good luck - Jill
Old 03-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Nichole and everyone else, please check you the thread I started "community appeal Letter" we should try to get this togeather in time for Nichole's appeal. Please this is very improtant to her and for everyone else that is going thru this. We can help and should help, it is are job as caring people to do this. I wish we had more time but she does not have it!!

Dave
87 Lam 88 Lam no help. 11/12/04 was told I needed fusion at 2 levels L4/5 & S1/5, ADR Surgery date was 5/13/2013 with Dr. Bertagnoli had fusion on S1/L5 and ADR on L5/L4. it is now 8 years post surgery and do not even take an aspirin for my back.