ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:25 PM

Great article Harrison (re man trying to get laws passed requiring cameras in the operating room)

That story really hit home for me. I had a malpractice cause of action for a surgery that caused my annular tears and now need for ADR surgery at 2 levels. I NEVER had any back problems before. From the minute I awoke from surgery I had immense back pains and couldn't move my legs on my own for a week or two following surgery. 5.5 yrs later...I'm still suffering from radiating pain, low back pain, tears have not healed, 2ndary issues...and need surgery...etc

Had there been cameras in the OR I could have known and been able to prove perhaps the malpractice. Otherwise you are at the mercy and honesty of the OR staff to admit to potential malpractice issue and have them written down during the surgery. If someone from the OR does not write down "problems" or irregularities in the notes...it's like it didn't exist or never happened. So if the OR staff is hush hush to cover their mistakes...when you're under general anesthesia...you'll never know what really happened!!!!!!!!!!! Malpractice lawsuits are VERY difficult to prove especially if it's out of a surgery.

This is sooo important...and I hope something is done about it.

A word of caution to anyone going into surgery...I have since been told by an anesthesiologist that your body is literally like a rag doll under general anesthesia and you are at the mercy of the OR staff to properly pad and position your body to protect your spine since your body's normal muscle and joint controls to protect the spine on it's own are asleep. If they rotate and move your body...under general...your spine is at risk!

That's how I got injured but I couldn't prove it since there were no cameras.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 AM

I think it would be an excellent idea to have cameras in "Theatre". Some of the positions they put people in for surgery are weird and extra care taken.

Interestingly enough if you had your surgery at the AlphaKlinik they offer you a Movie of your surgery as routine
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/