ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Default Hi scared ####less and in need of advice:)

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Bagnoli in Germany? Or any suggestions on surgeons in Europe that do one or two level lumbar ADR?

Also, for those who have already had the procedure, I am curious how much of my previous activities will be possible and realistic afteer surgery. I like to do long distance running, biking and tennis.

Thanks for all advice

Dingie
Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Dingie,

We're sorry that you have need to be here, but welcome!

I have two cervical fusions and two cervical ADRs (M6). Since the last surgery (double M6 ADR almost two years ago) I've been able to return to century bike races, running marathons (have Route66 coming up in a few weeks) and have resumed training for a full IronMan. I am aware of other M6 recipients that have resumed similar activities (one of them was competitive martial arts and another ice hockey). Be aware that just because some of us have been able to resume such activities doesn't necessarily mean that's in the cards for you. Resumption of such activities may be possible with other implants, I just haven't spoken with anyone that's done it.

There are many excellent ADR surgeons out there. As you are looking to go overseas for surgery, there are three overseas surgeons that I would encourage you to consider...
  • Pablo Clavel, Barcelona, Spain - Highly experienced in practice and research, turns out a steady stream of successful outcomes, and gave me my life back on Nov 25, 2009.
  • Nick Boeree, Hampshire, England - Highly experienced, turns out a steady stream of successful outcomes, and I've never seen an ill word posted about him.
  • Luiz Pimenta, Sao Paulo, Brazil - Highly experienced, turns out a steady stream of successful outcomes, and is profusely cited by his peers in scientific literature.
In fact, one poster on this board is currently in Barcelona recovering from lumbar ADR with Dr Clavel, and two are currently in Hampshire recovering from lumbar ADR with Dr Boeree.

Are you a cervical or lumbar patient?

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I am so loat with this whole concept of traveling for surgery! Do you have a surgeon stateside that follows u postop?

How did you decide on Dr. clavel? my surgery is lumbar, I am an RN whichis one of those a little knowledge is dangerous situations. I would prefer a neurosurgeon given the choice.

How did you feel the medical nursing care compared with the US? Thanks so much for your advice it means the world to me.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Dingie,

Dr Clavel had the experience in practice and research that I wanted, had no financial ties to any device manufacturer, had an excellent reputation and would use the M6. Prices in Spain were much lower than in Germany or France. At the time I did not know about Dr Boeree. Had I known about him, because he met all of the requirements that led me to choose Clavel, I may well have chosen Boeree instead. (I guess we'll never know)

My understanding is that Clavel costs a little more than Boeree, but everything else in Spain is cheaper than in England; so cost is probably a wash between them. I believe that Pimenta costs even less. I would encourage you to do phone consults with each of them. Clavel is a neuro, Boeree an ortho, and I don't know about Pimenta.

On the subject of cost... It is possible to negotiate a much lower cost with US surgeons and facilities if you are paying out of pocket. I have read stories of patients ending up paying about the same amount in the US that they would have paid in Europe. I don't know how you would go about doing that, but be aware that that is a possible option.

The nursing attention I received in Quiron hospital was on par with what I received at Medical City of Dallas for each of my fusions. The only drawback to the nursing staff at Quiron is that NONE of them spoke English.

It took me weeks to find a local ADR surgeon that would perform a checkup on me. Most were incensed that I'd gone out of country for treatment and seemed to delight in telling me that I would have to go back to Europe if I wanted to have a checkup. If you're in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, Dr Soren Singel in Flower Mound performed an 18 month checkup for me. He was from Germany and though he'd never implanted one, was familiar with the M6. BTW: he gave me a clean bill of spinal health.

There is a lot of lumbar experience on this board; lumbar experience with each of the three surgeons that I've suggested that you consider. Hopefully they'll chime in soon.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Hi Dingie, we need to talk briefly this week -- I need to review your status as a new member.

Thank you.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Sure, do you need to call? (number deleted for privacy) just let me know

Last edited by Harrison; 10-20-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Privacy and confidentiality policy
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM

Default 3 reason's why

I also am a M-6 patient of Dr. Clavel's. Had a 2 level C-Spine ADR in Oct. 2010. I had sent all my MRI results to 5 Dr.'s oversea's. I Narrowed it down to Dr. Clavel & Boeree.

I chose Dr. Clavel for the following reason's:

1) Cost, he was actually the least expensive at the time for a 2 level. Almost 5K less.

2) Location, Barcelona seemed like such a great place to go. The hospital is very modern and right in the city. My room had a great view of the city and beyond to the ocean.

3) Dr. Clavel is a nueurosurgeon, so my wife who is a 30+ year RN said if someone was going to be messing with my spine her preference was a neuro over an ortho. So her vote carried a lot of weight in the final choice.

JPJH
01/15/2008 Evaluated via MRI UCSF Spine Center. Recommended sinlge level C 4/5 ADR with Pro Disc or fusion. 02/23/10 Evaluated via MRI UCSF Spine Center. Recommended two level C 4/5 & 5/6 ADR with Pro Disc or fusion. ADR denied by BC. Appealed, lost two appeals. Patient refused fusion.
2005-2008 Unknown cause of spinal stenosis at C 4/5.