ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:48 PM

Hi Mariaa,
I understand most of your WC stuff but not its total realistically. We have been around a long time together and I really hope that this or something works out for you. You deserve it!!

Can any of your Meds be taken in suppository form so not affecting your stomach??

I am sending you warm and positive thoughts
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Banned

Allan,
The WC Nurse Case Manager called today, she wanted to make sure I wasn't spitting nails waiting re getting an ESI, she hadn't really connected with PM office to question whether it was time for another series or not so I should do this, and will tomm.

Meanwhile she received the surgeons report from last consultation. Hasn't gone to UR yet. Something missing she said. PLUS, he didn't actually make any reference to doing discogram first to make sure other level wasn't pain generator and NCM didn't seem to recall this coming up at the visit she accompanied me to .. I know I covered this topic as it would be a MUST DO AGAIN on my list before proceeding to surgery.

Also, he briefly mentioned BMD, but referred to my past one, not to the fact that I needed a new one (which I have and he doesn't have results)~ actually if he thought my BMD was something that he had to order anything for, or take care of first before requesting surgery, that step should proceed request for discogram and request for surgery...

Not well organized. I don't care for this. My OSS may not have the experience with ADRs and may be putting in Charites but he at least has the orderly sequence down in terms of what step to take to move on to requesting auth for surgery with WC.. and he was very concerned to get the BMD first, and the discogram to r/o whether I even would be a surgical candidate for the hybrid surgery he wanted to do with Charite...

I don't think Dr. Bae's office gets as many WC patients as my current OSS's office does so perhaps that's why things aren't quite going the way I think they should...

Oh well, that's the latest update there..

Alastair,
I read what you wrote re the suppository idea, hmm, Neurontin ~ no, Methadone.. don't think so, Calcium.. feels like I've tried all types of oral calcium stop short of injectible and suppository..

Good question tho~ will look all my meds up and see if any are given that route tho as far as I know they aren't~

thanks for hanging in there with me~

**Barbara,
Yes, that's a very interesting point about ADR and fusion both in terms of future BMD and bone health of vertebral structures.. I wonder what the answer to that is or if there is any answer at all yet or this is sort of part and parcel of the long term trial/study information that would be gathered.. or not..
Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your having to hassle with the insurance company and trying to get all the different doctors to cooperate and follow through. Would your OSS give you a referral to an endocrinologist to evaluate whether Forteo would be appropriate for you? I'm watching my overall bone density scores but also the scores at each level where I was considering ADR which seems almost more important. I hope this mess gets straightened out very soon for you.

Alastair- I tried suppository meds a short time ago and it was a disaster. The medication I was taking still breaks down in the stomach so it didn't help me any plus it was unpleasant to say the least. Injectable also went into the stomach but not as severely as pills or suppositories. I thought I found a good alternative but it wasn't after all.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 04-26-2006, 06:37 AM

Mariaa,

Did some checking on possible effects of calcium on the stomach and Actonel, and what I don't understand is why Actonel with Calcium needs to be taken on an empty stomach with nothing but water?? You're not supposed to lie down or eat for 30 minutes afterwards either.

Yet other sites on calcium supplements said it was important to take calcium with food in order to try and avoid stomach pain. I'm sure you've tried taking it with and without food and possibly even standing on your head, but I'm wondering what's up with that???
Old 04-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Mariaa: I'm sorry that you're dealing with utter idiots. - ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:07 PM

Mariaa
very sorry to hear that wc is still giving you grief.and hope things get better for you.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 04-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

Thanks Chuck and Allan..
Maybe I'm fighting the obvious..

Trace,
In the pamphet that accompanies the Actonel pills (4/mo) It says food and some vitamin supplements and other medications may stop the body from absorbing (using) Actonel.

I think the sitting or standing vs. lying down is to prevent reflux or harsh reaction of medication lying around on mucous membrane~ guess parastalsis on empty stomach with water is important to move this puppy into some gastric juices that can work on it and let it be absorbed into the bod as necessary...

This is a most unscientific answer and I could look up the info that the PDR has on the med for accuracy~
Old 04-29-2006, 08:44 PM

Mariaa,

My sister-in-law is a physician's asst. and because my mother and I both have low bone density sent this article to us. It is very interesting and offers other ways to increase bone density. Go to this site:
http://lammd.com
and click on Osterporosis

Let me know what you think. I may also post it in a seperate thread so others can read it if they want to.

Let me know what you think.
Discectomy L5-S1, 6/04 Delamarter
Candidate ADR L-5-S1 & 2 level C-3-4,5-6
Medicare because of sarcoidosis -
Awating Medicare to pay for ADR's
Old 04-30-2006, 03:32 AM
Banned

Freshfig,
Thanks for the link w/article, very interesting..