ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Default New research could prevent the need for surgery.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/may/07/antibiotics-cure-back-pain-patients
This is of great interest to me and I will be asking the surgeon about this when I see him next month. I think all should read this.
sequestered fragment, 2 disc prolapses, right side impingement and encroachment of sciatic nerve (L2-3), left side impingement (L3-4) plus disc bulge at L4-5, large Schmorls nodules (T11-12), extreme hypermobility.... and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Administrator

I agree, see the first two topics in the Article Library. But we have to ask ourselves: why would a surgeon support these measures?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 PM

Default Adr

I don't understand why u would have to take antibiotics for 100 days and then how do u avoid re infection??
Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Administrator

The best one can hope for is to:

- beat the bugs down to where inflammatory pain is reduced;
- beat the bugs down to where the host immune system can keep the "sub-clinical infection in check;
- to beat them down enough for the patient to regain their natural statis (vitals better, off meds, hormones rebalanced).

I've been through all these stages, it took years. This is discussed in my documentary, but by using interviews with doctors and researchers around the US.

The more compromised we are by pathogens, the more overloaded our immune systems are.

A reminder that most doctors do NOT like to use PCR and other modern diagnostics to identify pathogens in the blood or tissue. They are still using a 150 year old technology (culturing), which detects 4-7% of all microbes.

It's no wonder so many people are sick.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Default Adr

Very interesting. But what about the damage the antibiotics will do? Can one use probiotics during the treatment or is it pointless?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

There are many, many choices for antibiotics. We are brainwashed into thinking all of them are dangerous. The irony is that thousands of tons are dumped into livestock (which cause so many problems down the line), but when patients truly need them, the "standard of care" does not allow the doctor to prescribe them. Been there, done that. Again, in the film..

- natural antimicrobials: herbs, essential oils, clays, spices, etc.

- man-made, but still safe: ozone

- combination naturals: many different products on the market, I've been tracking them for years. More on that later

- different antbx protocols: many low-dose protocols are pulsed; meaning every 2-4 days.

OK, have to sign off, too much other work to do. Hope this helps. Pls consider donating to the non-profit and getting the DVD, which will address most of your questions. Also, the non-profit needs money -- see the updates topic.

PS: Never pointless to use good quality probiotics...especially during antbx therapy.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I agree, see the first two topics in the Article Library. But we have to ask ourselves: why would a surgeon support these measures?
Because he is a doctor who took the hippocratic oath.
sequestered fragment, 2 disc prolapses, right side impingement and encroachment of sciatic nerve (L2-3), left side impingement (L3-4) plus disc bulge at L4-5, large Schmorls nodules (T11-12), extreme hypermobility.... and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
The best one can hope for is to:

- beat the bugs down to where inflammatory pain is reduced;
- beat the bugs down to where the host immune system can keep the "sub-clinical infection in check;
- to beat them down enough for the patient to regain their natural statis (vitals better, off meds, hormones rebalanced).

I've been through all these stages, it took years. This is discussed in my documentary, but by using interviews with doctors and researchers around the US.

The more compromised we are by pathogens, the more overloaded our immune systems are.

A reminder that most doctors do NOT like to use PCR and other modern diagnostics to identify pathogens in the blood or tissue. They are still using a 150 year old technology (culturing), which detects 4-7% of all microbes.

It's no wonder so many people are sick.
I just googled the lab speak to see exactly what PCR means and I am none the wiser. I do not see PCR indicated as a way to identify bacterial pathogens and more to the point, how it would indicate sensitivity to abx.
You mentioned culture but not the rest of the diagnostic tool, that being the sensitivity test.
The statement regarding the culturing process being 150 years old, taken on its merits, means we should confine to history all medicine of that era? An alarmist statement with not much in the way of substance.

The 'best one can hope for' prognosis suggests the lack of understanding of the use of antibiotics and on that note we can concur that no wonder people are sick.

Abx will make you unwell because they are a form of chemotherapy. They will wipe out bacteria of many kinds, not just the targetted bug, ergo the high value of the C and S.
The 100 days... I am certainly no expert, far far from it but if there is a bacterial infection in the area of a damaged disc then the blood supply will likely be poor. For systemic abx to be effective then they need to reach the infection site in sufficientconcentration and for the correct time period to do the excellent work they should. Unfortunately humans introduce variables like not taking their doses at correct time intervals or not completing the course and again, no wonder we are sick.
While it is desirable to avoid the need for surgery I would think that an abx implant might better serve the purpose here because humans are lazy and unreliable.... myself included.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
Very interesting. But what about the damage the antibiotics will do? Can one use probiotics during the treatment or is it pointless?
Wait an hour after oral abx and just eat a pot of live yoghurt, no need for fancy and expensive stuff. Probiotics are not really friendly bacteria, they are neutral and their main purpose is to drown by sheer numbers the undesirable bacteria.
Prebiotics are also useful.
The chances of an infection being cured with the correct abx are high, the chances of abx killing you are low but the infection just might so, on balance... take them when prescribed.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Administrator

You raise some valid points, for sure. However, I disagree with many of your assertions -- especially regarding diagnostics -- and all docs honoring their hippocratic oath. LOL, unfortunately.

My opinions are based on 30+ interviews with leading doctors and scientists. They may or may not represent the medical establishment. But surely the ones from the NIH and CDC do.

Some of these interviews (appr. 20) are excerpted here:

ADRSupport's channel - YouTube

Hope this informs and helps.