ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Lillyth, thanks for the info on the Baguera. There are so many disc options out there for people to pick from. As a side note, I am really excited that AIMIS has started offering the M6.

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 AM

Me too! I guess I made enough of a squawk about it? LOL!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM

If it was due to you, then you have my thanks!! Any way that more people can get the help they need is wonderful!!

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Yeah, my decision came down to wanting the M6. I made a lot of noise about it, so since the availability of the M6 came right on the heals of me going with Clavel because he had the M6 I suspect that was probably me. So, you're welcome?

Yeah, I am really glad they are offering it now. It is by far a superior disc, so it is great that they offer it!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Default Heard from Dr. Bierstedt today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
Yes. It is quite interesting to see what they say, as opposed to US docs. Please keep us updated on everything.
I heard from Malte at Dr. Bierstedt's office today. I am a candidate for ADR at C5/C6 and C6/C7. He has no concerns over my prior foraminotomy at C6/C7. He was able to determine that by examining the MRI. His office is very thorough. Assuming I go with him I have to get blood work and an EKG and send the results over to him before I go overseas. It almost seems like that's a large part of the pre-op testing. However, I don't really mind, because I'll go to a walk-in clinic and have that taken care of. Insurance here will cover that. Better than adding that to my big enough tab for surgery in Europe. Because this will be done below a fusion, I will have to go to rehab for about 5 days after release from the hospital. Also, he won't operate on you without purchasing insurance to cover you if something goes wrong. That costs 200 Euros and can be paid by credit card. So far I'm very impressed. Also, the estimated surgery time is 3 hours. That's a far cry from what I heard about Dr Ritter-Lang, where the surgery was often under one hour.

I will wait a few days before I purchase insurance and airfare. However, I scheduled a tentative date of March 26th for my surgery. By the way, Mr. Dare sounds great too. The only issue I have with him is his making me get a CT of the neck when he already has the MRI. Getting insurance to approve a CT after recently approving an MRI is not going to be easy. Unless his package is significantly less than Dr. Bierstedt, I think I will be going to Germany after all, just not Stenum. It will be Dusseldorf instead.
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
I heard from Malte at Dr. Bierstedt's office today. I am a candidate for ADR at C5/C6 and C6/C7. He has no concerns over my prior foraminotomy at C6/C7. He was able to determine that by examining the MRI. His office is very thorough. Assuming I go with him I have to get blood work and an EKG and send the results over to him before I go overseas. It almost seems like that's a large part of the pre-op testing. However, I don't really mind, because I'll go to a walk-in clinic and have that taken care of. Insurance here will cover that. Better than adding that to my big enough tab for surgery in Europe. Because this will be done below a fusion, I will have to go to rehab for about 5 days after release from the hospital. Also, he won't operate on you without purchasing insurance to cover you if something goes wrong. That costs 200 Euros and can be paid by credit card. So far I'm very impressed. Also, the estimated surgery time is 3 hours. That's a far cry from what I heard about Dr Ritter-Lang, where the surgery was often under one hour.

I will wait a few days before I purchase insurance and airfare. However, I scheduled a tentative date of March 26th for my surgery. By the way, Mr. Dare sounds great too. The only issue I have with him is his making me get a CT of the neck when he already has the MRI. Getting insurance to approve a CT after recently approving an MRI is not going to be easy. Unless his package is significantly less than Dr. Bierstedt, I think I will be going to Germany after all, just not Stenum. It will be Dusseldorf instead.
I had zero problem getting my CT approved, so you might want to try that. I very much liked Dr. Dare, but am also greatly impressed that Dr. Bierstadt makes you purchase insurance. There was something the docs were looking for with CT. I'm not sure what it was, but whatever it was it was a good thing I didn't have it. It would have meant no ADR.

I cannot BELIEVE Ritter-Lang said it would take an HOUR. What. The. . That man frightens me. So glad you dodged that bullet!

On a bright note, I have been watching the exchange rate every day, and it has been going down. When I started watching it a while ago it was 1.35, now it is 1.30, so that saves us quite a nice little bit of cash.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Default Leaning towards Dr. Bierstedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia K. View Post
NJGene, I agree with johnwhof passionately. I had surgery by Dr.Bierstedt last November, he has done hundreds of ADR surgeries, he is experienced with a variety of discs including the the M6. His response is quickly and no fee for cosultation.
In the last 2 days I've gotten 2 completely opposite opinions. Dr Bierstedt feels that I should get ADR on 2 levels. Here is the response from the surgeon at AIMIS who reviewed my films:

Dr Diaz has reviewed your MRI images and, taking in to account your symptoms and medical history, he does not believe you have a condition that would be benefited by surgical intervention.

This doesn't surprise me. Dr. Diaz is a U.S. surgeon. He seems to have the typical American attitude that doing nothing is better. Keep in mind he hasn't examined me as a patient. He's only looked at my films. My personal feelings about AIMIS have gone down the tubes.
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
In the last 2 days I've gotten 2 completely opposite opinions. Dr Bierstedt feels that I should get ADR on 2 levels. Here is the response from the surgeon at AIMIS who reviewed my films:

Dr Diaz has reviewed your MRI images and, taking in to account your symptoms and medical history, he does not believe you have a condition that would be benefited by surgical intervention.

This doesn't surprise me. Dr. Diaz is a U.S. surgeon. He seems to have the typical American attitude that doing nothing is better. Keep in mind he hasn't examined me as a patient. He's only looked at my films. My personal feelings about AIMIS have gone down the tubes.
They *are* only American docs after all. For those of us who are "complicated" this is not surprising.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
... By the way, Mr. Dare sounds great too. The only issue I have with him is his making me get a CT of the neck when he already has the MRI. Getting insurance to approve a CT after recently approving an MRI is not going to be easy. Unless his package is significantly less than Dr. Bierstedt, I think I will be going to Germany after all, just not Stenum. It will be Dusseldorf instead.
If you want to still consider Dr Dare.... When I needed an MRI in 2009, it was going to be over $1000 out of pocket with my insurance. It turned out that the same facility charged only $360 to patients without insurance that were paying out of pocket. I told them I was paying out of pocket and saved $640. If you'll call around to imaging labs, you might find that you can get a CT for a few hundred dollars.

Quote:

I don't know if you should have fusion, ADR or do nothing; but stuff like this makes me feel so fortunate that of the six surgeons I saw before ADR, five of them told me the exact same thing! You've had at least three different surgical prescriptions. Though Dr Diaz's opinion sounds ... less than plausible, before dismissing it, you might be wise to discuss that opinion with someone that is qualified to dismiss it.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:

NJ Gene,
Congratulation on your decision. I had surgery by Dr.Bierstedt in November and doing great, if you need more info please send me a PM.
Claudia
All my symtoms are GONE!