ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Hi I am fairly new to this site and think that it is excellent. I am in the UK and post on the site there too and have had tremendous support from the members. I have posted to people who have already had ADR on this site although I havent yet. I am waiting on 11th Sept for a double level cervical activ c adr from a very well renowned and experienced surgeon in England Mr Ian Shackleford. I realise I should have really posted my story on this forum first so apologise if you have already heard it from the other post surgical outcome one. I have pain as the only real symptom although my left hand is clumsy now and have lost some sensations in my arms and hands its minimal. Firstly I had a bad fall down hill full on to my left shoulder June 06, and at the casualty (EM) here they Xrayed my hand arm and shoulder and sent me away with pain killers and advice for a very bad sprain.

Long story short then to the Rhuematologist for diagnosis of myofacial pain syndrome when pain occured in my left trapezius he looked at MRI and said he doubted it was to do with wear and tear. He said it was caused by the fall, So physio, strapping, tens, meds, sports massage, acupunture, chiropractor, osteopathy etc etc and lots of tears later went to pain clinic on the National Health Service and was told by the De-nervation Consultant that I had awful DDD, caused by the accident and now had loss of lordosis causing forward angulation of the cervical spine ( which is poker straight) and no hope for any improvement only more pain and would eventually lose my arms/ The and only then jhe suggested a fusion the only option!

This story I have told so many times I am not even sure where I have posted it, but the middle and both ends is the same MRI told the radioligist I was fine told the pain clinic de-nervation consultant it was curtains! Then off to find out what else other that fusion could help me which I did found ADR England. Sought the opinion of a local (Devon England)surgeon who said I was fine it was a pain syndrome he didnt belive in MRI's between 20 - 50 unless there was cancer, traffic accident or genetics involved and to go back to the pain clinic. I am taking Tramadol which is the only pain killer I have been able to take and get help from since April this year. Before that I had nothing and was trying to work! I took advice and got a 2nd opinion which matched the pain clinic de-nervation guy (neck v bad) but the difference is I am a candidate for ADR and Mr Shackleford is confident I can get it done and go back to work. I am a social work manager in the fostering service working with teenagers with alot of problems and placing them in the care of people wqho can see them through, and help them.

I never dreamt I would be better ever as things have become so bad. My life of moor walking , tennis , cycling, hard work, and growing all my own organic veg has become one of looking at 4 walls without hope until I met Mr Shackleford so if any of you have had similar experiences and had a good outcome to relieve pain I would dearly like to hear from you and my best wishes to you all Maz
Active C ADR 2 levels 18th Sept 08
pain remains in shoulders and neck but is better than before (level 2-6)
arm pain resolved
Old 08-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Hi Maz, welcome to the US community and thx for writing! We have much in common in terms of sports (you'll get there again!) and growing our own veggies!

You seem very well informed about your spine, that's good. Has your consultant also explained some of the other cervical issues associated with loss of lordosis -- relative to certain artificial discs? In this case, not all artificial discs may be appropriate.

When you can, please add a signature to your profile. Also, for all the old farts in this community, can you insert some paragraph breaks!? Just click in the little eraser icon in the lower right to edit your message.

Old and lazy people like me thank you.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-17-2008, 05:55 PM

I had 4 level ADR surgery November 4, 2006 and cycled over 2,000 miles last season and have been heading towards the same mileage this cycling season. I also walk a lot and garden. I am going on 52 years old now and, if I can do this stuff, you can too. You are heading in the direction.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 08-18-2008, 03:08 AM

Terry you have been through alot and its great that you are back to fitness now thanks for replying to me. Can I ask about your pain from the cervical ddd was it pain or arm symtoms or both and what was it like prior to the surgery (bet you dont want to be reminded) thanks Maz
arm pain resolved
Old 08-18-2008, 05:19 AM

Maz:

Prior to my surgery I had very little range of motion looking towards the left. I also had a lot of grinding noise in my neck and pain in my left shoulder, left forearm, and numbness in the left side of the left hand, and last two fingers on the left hand.

After surgery I have no symptoms and the range of motion is excellent. I can touch my chin to my left shoulder now.

I am still very careful about what I lift. I know I am damaged goods and need to be cautious the rest of my life.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 AM

Hi Terry thanks for getting back to me I dont have any symptoms like that just started with arms pain after a fall which went more or less then trapezius spasm then onto the other side now have only just got a horrible burning sensation on the inside of my right arm to the elbow its all so frightening. My finger tips arent as sensitive as they should be and I have full range of motion which I think is what set everyone on the wrong track thinking it couldnt be DDD but the MRI clearly shows it is and I am hoping to have a recovery like yours and am so pleased for you best wishes Marion
arm pain resolved
Old 08-21-2008, 05:52 AM

Maz,

Good luck on your surgery. Remember to take it slow afterwards and do not overdo things. Keep us updated on your progress and feel free to ask questions along the way.

Diagnosed with DDD in Nov, 2007. MRI, EMG
C3/4 C4/5 C5/6 C6/7
Surgery 06.04.08--C5/6 and C6/7 with Prodisc was a success.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 AM

Hi Dave thanks for your support and encouragement in these days leading up to surgery I am very interested in all of you who have been through this and come out the other end! I was nicknamed a bull in a china shop by my physiotherapist but those days are long gone! I have learned the very hard way about overdoing things and have paid heavy prices too many times theres no wasy I will be doing it after the operation I will let my body tell me the pace I need to adopt and not push it its never worth the payback hope you are having a good day and continuing to improve best wishes Maz
arm pain resolved
Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 PM

Maz-all my best on your surgery. Please keep us posted on how things go.

Best wishes.

Lisa
Aug 2007 - diagnosed with DDD at C5-6 - herniated disk with mild stenosis at right/central of cord - but pain/occasional numbness mostly on the left side - and down into the leg/foot - which has puzzled doctors - even had a lumbar puncture - but thankfully all clear!
May 2008- after many months of no symptoms and issues- flare up- and new MRI shows moderate stenosis.
L4-5 small annular tear with some DD
Big fan of massages and acupuncture to help with muscle tightness/pain.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 AM

HI lisa, sorry you are having a few problems and I will definately keep you posted after my surgery and you can also reply on my personal email if you want to. I was told by one pain consultant, who is a de neration expert, that because my pain is constant and severe it would never go thats his opinion but he seemed to think if its not contsant I would have been in a better position. He showed me a pain map and on his pain map I picked out that C5/C/6 generatedit. He said I would have to have surgery but best wait til my arms were so bad as it wouldnt work on the pain and would ne a fusion! He never mentioned ADR but the consultant I am having th ADR with thinks I will if not be fully pain free, will be almost and he#s done alot of these, he works privately but is doing me on the NHS so there is no gain for him financially he just really belives I will get better. My disc isnt impinging the cord (yet) but if it goes on it will and my neck is straight as a pin and angulating forward so I have no choice about an operation and thats why I have chosen ADR. My MRI showed facet degeneration and a cyst on the exit formanen of L5/s1, the report said no onbious nerve compression well thats not suprising as I was lying on my back but I kknow there is. I too get heel pain and some buttock pain but the other yet another surgeon said my neck and facets were fine its all nonsense, I am fine !! I am not, and I am sure you kow what I mean!! Gonna get the cyst removed when I get my neck sorted. All the best to you and roll on 18th cant wait!! Maz
arm pain resolved