ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:34 PM

The discogram went pretty well. They had to give me an antihistamine on top of the Versed because Versed has properties like shellfish (and I am allergic to shellfish). So, I was very sleepy.

The pain woke me up though. I think it was twice that I was in alot of pain, but my memory is kinda fuzzy. I was very groggy when the surgeon came to talk to me, so I didn't comprehend much of what he was saying.

He did tell my husband that I have a tear in L4/L5 and my L5/S1 is nearly gone. Not sure if that means I need a two level ADR or not. Anybody have a similiar situation?

I meet with one of the neurosurgeons on Jan 30th to go over my results.

LBP - Thank you so much for finding those links for me. It's weird that I didn't come across them in my research. Some of the surgeons that are in my clinic also practice in the others. So, I guess that is a good sign. I'll find out how many ADRs they have done. I don't know anybody in those other cities, so we would be staying at a hotel and travelling.

Now, I'm just trying to deal with the after-pain. They gave me a prescription for Tramadol and I am trying to stay ahead of the pain. I am only supposed to take the Tramadol once every 6 hours but I feel the pain after 4, so I have been taking the Oxycodone at that time. So far so good.
L4/L5, L5/S1 herniated and bulging, Discogram confirmed
Three spinal nerve blocks, One SI joint nerve block, 8 wks of PT, pain/anti-inflammatory meds
L4/5, L5/S1 ProDisc ADR with Dr. Zigler at Texas
Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 AM

Paula,
from what you describe...it sounds like you are a two level, but it might depend on the grade level of tear. If they've described one as almost gone...sounds like you might need something done to avoid risk of bones fusing on their own...something you want to discuss with your dr in a follow up meeting.

also... Get copies of the photos they took during your diskogram if you can get them sometimes they have more than one set of "originals" cuz photo copies can be pretty fuzzy. They are good to have...just like keeping your MRIs and xrays.

good luck in your surgeon search...you might need to meet a couple different surgeons...and hope that you can find one that has done 100s of ADR rather than just 10-20 ADRs.\

It looks like the links I mentioned both show they are involved in the Kineflex lumbar ADR clinical trials which are being tested against Charite. Only bad news is that they are single level ADR trials.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop