ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 AM

Some euro docs are taking FX fluctuations into their rates. Others not as much.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 AM

Cynlite, I am very sorry for what you are going through, my prayers are with you.

I was very similar to you in problems, pain etc. I did two level beneath a fusion I had many years ago. In my opinion, no yelling at me, getting a fusion in the cervical area is a very stupid thing to do. I believe that if I did not have a fusion, I would not have damaged the other discs in my neck from my latest accident. After my surgery, no more arm pain, neck pain, etc. I am trying to get my strength back, but it is slow. I also was prescribed PT, and after a couple of visits, I experienced horrible pain for a couple of days a few hours after the second appt. They used traction on my neck and it was a huge mistake. My C5-6 was really bad, almost gone, and C6-7 was bone on bone, much worse than X-ray or MRI showed. I think because of where you are, PT is kind of a waste of time for you, especially since you are doing some exercise.The only problems I have now are stiffness in my neck every once in awhile and migraines for days. Since I am only 6 months out I expect the stiffness, and I had the migraines after my fusion, so I guess it goes with me having surgery.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 03-25-2015, 02:49 AM

Default paid for 2 adr got a fusion at one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry5 View Post
Second or ..., that opinion, with Dr Bierstedt, or Ilerhaus.

I went for a two level, and they could not access the second (lower) and ended up with a Fusion.

They paid for the second surgery, so to speak, they offered, I accepted, this was the worst level, L51, but you could not do wrong here, ANY surgery is complicated and risky, here in the USA, or anywhere else.

Germany is not the only place outside the US, I have had surgery, there are very good doctors all over the world.
I am glad they did the second for free then. how devastating to think you'd be getting two adrs and only get one.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 03-25-2015, 08:59 AM

NJGene, like you I've had little success with ADR in NYC/NJ area, but HSS has been making some news more recently about ADR and brought in a new director Dr. Todd Albert )from Rothman Institute in Philly). Ihave seen in previous years 3 surgeons at HSS, and non recommended ADR! Only one I found in this area was Dr. Bitane, who uses ProDisc (or at least he did when I saw him a couple of years ago). Did you see Dr. Jeff Goldstein yet, his web site seems interesting! I saw a couple of other NYU surgeons, but no ADR in their offering either.
Best wishes to both,
Dema & Raouf

Thank you Dema, HSS (as well as other surgeons you suggested) might be a consideration at some point. Even though this has nothing to do with ADR, that place has left a bad taste in my mouth. Back in 1998, prior to my first fusion, my PCP suggested I see Dr. O'Leary at HSS for a second opinion. This surgeon operated on one of the NY Jets who broke their back during a game. After multiple calls, I was told to mail my MRI films to him and he will determine whether it's even worth me coming in for a visit. This was well before MRI's were put on CD. I basically told them to go stick it. I knew I needed surgery. My late father (alive then) was a retired radiologist. He was very conservative. When he saw the films, he had no doubt that I needed surgery. He ended up contacting my PCP and telling him a second opinion wasn't warranted.

The bottom line, I feel the HSS has this attitude "that we're the best" and "you're lucky to even get an appt with us". I believe this is common in the NYC area, and want to stay as far away as possible for ADR purposes.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 03-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Yep, not impressed with HSS, one of the 3 surgeons I saw there recommended I read a book about dealing with back pain Wonder if things changed after Dr. Albert was brought over!
, little effect on pain
Considering surgery (typical questions, which type & which surgeon!)
Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 AM

Thank you so much for the kind words several of you posted here. It really did help me to make it through the last few days. They have been tough. Each day I have with my Mom is truly a gift. I won't elaborate more but, thank you for having big hearts!

I've had some minor issues with my throat and vocal cords the last few years. It has me concerned about the scar tissue in my throat from the prior minimally invasive surgeries. The surgeon I saw on Monday suggested that I see an ENT again and also do some sort of swallow test before proceeding into any new surgery. I think that was good advice. I want to make sure this issue is addressed because I have already had my singing voice compromised It's sad that so many of the joys in my life have been lost because of spinal problems. I hope and pray for a good outcome for all of us!
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 03-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Default A little rant and questions about Dr. Clavel

I can't believe that with my medical history, the insurance company decided to turn down the MRIs of my lumbar and thoracic spine ordered by the surgeon at Barrow. Word to the wise, I think it's because his back office does a terrible job dealing with insurance companies. The young woman with an attitude there has said multiple times on the phone to me "insurance companies turn down everything." After making a ton of phone calls, I believe it's because she didn't give them the information they needed to approve the request. So, I sent a lot of information to the imaging lab last week and now, I'm waiting and hoping they get the MRIs approved on Monday. It is so frustrating to have an appointment cancelled at the last minute because of insurance issues and then to have to fix the darn problem yourself! Grumble, grumble, grumble....I know you get this!

I stretch everyday...sometimes for hours to work on the pain in my body. I use Miracle Balls (really a great investment, $15 on Amazon) a traction machine for my neck, an inversion machine for my back, a foam roller and stretch moves from my knowledge from years of dance, yoga and working with therapists and trainers. Until November, I was able to walk some and lift light weights too. All this in an attempt to try and retain some of my core strength and muscle mass. Now, when I move too much, I end up in tremendous pain. The medical system in all it's wisdom seems to think that PT is what I need now. (This is most likely because the surgeon gave me a prescription for it.) It's almost laughable that they are using their check list on a chronic pain patient. I woke up in so much pain yesterday that I quickly went to a massage studio to get some body work on the muscle spasms/horrible headache and then came home and used all the devices mentioned above and laid on a heating pad most of the day. Finally, by 6 p.m., I literally dragged myself to the dog park and slowly walked around. It took all my will power to get myself out of that bed...I tell you! Is there anyone out there who thinks that PT is going to add any value to my situation?

Now, that I've pointed out how important it is for a doctor to have a decent back office staff, I can get on with my point of this post . I've been reading a lot of posts from people who have used Dr. Clavel. I've been considering paying his fee and getting a consult from him. Most people sing his praises but, the ones that don't are very unhappy. Those posts worry me. One of the things I have read several times about him is that when things go wrong, his office staff didn't work well with helping the patient find a resolution. They say they were ignored! This is disconcerting to me since I experienced that with my surgeon here in the states. When you feel absolutely terrible after surgery it's so hard to get help because hanging on the phone and heck, even moving sometimes, is almost impossible. I know I need a back up doctor at home if I travel out of state or out of the country for surgery! I was so fortunate to have an amazing primary care when I had my surgeries out of state but, now she has since closed her office. So, my question goes out to all the Dr. Clavel patients. Can you shed some light on him and his office? I am interested in getting his opinion after I finally get my full set of MRI images but, am not sure because of the disparity in posts. Thanks

I'm also considering Dr. Blumenthal in Texas but, traveling to consult with him would be very difficult for me. There is some wisdom in staying in the U.S. for surgery but, if at the end of the day, the consensus is that the M6-C is the best implant for me then that will rule the USA out. Still taking this a step and at a time. It's so hard being patient with this process!
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 PM

Cynlite,

I loved Dr. Clavel, his staff, his head nurse and everyone at the hospital. They always responded to my emails both before and after surgery... My questions and concerns were addressed in a timely manner allowing for the time difference from here to there. Post op, my local neurosurgeon, who was totally unfamiliar with the M6 agreed to see me. He had CT Scans & MRI, after which, he informed me that we needed to remove the M6 immediately that they were pressing on my spinal cord. Mind you, I felt fabulous, better than I had since the auto accident, however his words terrified both me & my husband. I immediately contacted Dr. Clavel, overnighted my MRI & CT Discs - he followed up upon receipt to inform me my M6 discs were exactly as he placed them and they were NOT pressing upon my spinal cord. One year later I flew back to Barcelona for a follow up visit where once again I was very imprssed with Quirón Hospital, DR. CLAVEL & his staff. New films were made, DR. C reviewed them, saw me and declared I was in great shape. Mind you it has now been 2+ years since surgery and I feel wonderful.
Hope this helps alleviate any concerns regarding DR. C & his staff.... One thing, we Americans are impatient and want immediate reaction - most Europeans respond differently, maybe at a slower pace than we would expect them to, but they typically respond in a reasonable timeframe. I found DR. C to be both compassionate, caring and skilled and would not hesitate to refer him.
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 03-29-2015, 04:15 PM

2Confused,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Congratulations on your very successful surgery....what a gift! It's really good to hear that Dr. Clavel and his staff were so helpful to you before and after.

Actually, it's the US healthcare system that is driving me a bit crazy. I had a very quick turn around with Dr. Bierstedt and his office in Germany. Dr. Zeegers in the Netherlands is actually waiting on me to get him the remaining information he requested but, my initial contact with him and his office was excellent.

I have made contact with three surgeons in Arizona. The office staff of all three have been disappointing. I have tried to find out what it would cost to private pay with Dr. Yeung (similar to Blumenthal in that he works in the Trials) but, so far no response from his office. Looks like I'll have to call again. He's out of network for me so, I would have to private pay. I could go on and on about the inefficiencies of doctors' offices in the U.S.

I am impatient because I'm in pain and have been working on trying to find a solution for such a long time. Nine years is a long time to not participate in life. I keep holding on to the hope that I'll find a solution and be a success story. Thanks so much for sharing your story! I am really grateful to have found this board.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:09 PM

Completely agree about Dr Clavel!

Cannot believe a US doc told you that!!!

Holy heck! Wow!

Dr Clavel was very good to me.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.