ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Banned

Found someone to buy my Dodge Minivan at BB value so will be selling that as soon as I make up my mind about a new vehicle.

So far the only seats I find comfortable are in bigger SUVs which I don't like driving or Minivans.

I have been considering a Pathfinder SE 2005 or something of that sort as the seats are so nice and the rest of the vehicle is spiney friendly in terms of opening things up (doors and such).

My minivan has become really difficult for me to handle in terms of closing the rear door and the side one. The seats are still very comfortable tho the steering also seems more difficult.

My hands are becoming arthritic also and the left thumb is very painful much of the time. Had it xrayed and was told that I could have a fusion on it to limit movement and thus relieve pain...

Anyway, any idea on spiney friendly vehicles seat wise and also, did you find that if your old vehicle bothered you before your ADR surgery, it didn't afterwards because of increased strength eventually and less pain...

Or did bucket seats become more comfortable after this surgery? I can't tolerate them except for very short rides or where I will be out of the car for more time than I'm in it..

I know some people have had a really difficult time with sitting and building up tolerance with this and driving so just wondering.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Hi Mariaa,
I don`t know if they sell them in the USA but I bought my wife a Skoda Fabia 16 valve automatic. It suits me for small journeys and is a 4 door car so easy getting in and out (as I tell you to do in the FAQ`s). It has a downgraded suspension so is softer than the VW and is cheaper than the VW by about �2,000 ($3800) it has air con and the steering wheel can be adjusted towards you and vertically also. The seats are many way adjustable so helpful before and after ADR.

Its got all the modern technology and we like it. maybe its not available in the USA though. Avoid the "Boy Racer" hard suspensions.
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

Alastair,
Does VW make this vehicle? I'm wondering if there's an Americanized version of it...
And yes, I always get a four door at least or something like it in terms of my minivan sidedoor entry. That used to be easy to open but over the last few years I grunt and exert whenever I open this door or close the back door..
Old 01-03-2005, 03:45 PM

Mariaa,
No its made by Skoda, which is owned by VW but made in the Czechoslovakia there is a UK website here. My wifes is the I.4 5 door hatchback loads of miles to the gallon and yet a "quick " car. Petrol is about $6 a gallon in the UK.

http://www.simplyskoda.co.uk/cars_fo...da&model=Fabia

I don`t know if they import them into the USA.

This link might help also

http://skoda.globalcar.com/

Best
Alastair

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-03-2005, 10:31 PM

Maria,
My husband and sons went test driving cars this last weekend and one of things they came back talking about was adjustable gas and break pedals. I guess due to air bag safety concerns they have made the pedals moveable so that short legged people don't have to position the seat so close to the wheel,where the air bag is deployed. I was thinking though, that it might make different seat adjustments possible which may or may not help with your back.

When I have talked to health care professionals about cars and seats before they have suggested volkswagon for seats, or a car with a bench seat. (try and find that in anything but a truck)

Good luck with your search.

Vivian
Old 01-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Banned

Alastair,
thanks for the website~ nice looking car. I like the hatchback style for getting groceries and things in cars. Sounds like you have to have a non gas guzzling vehicle there with what you are paying per gallon. Is the Fabia like a mini-SUV?
I had originally wanted a hybrid vehicle tho still looking at bucket seats altho soon I think there will be at least a few hybrid SUVs. SUVs eat so much gas up tho they are great for piling things into which I've become used to with a minivan as well as getting comfortably horizontal in a vehicle while still carrying maybe up to 4-5 other passengers.
Vivian, did you mean like a VW bug or VW like Jetta, Passat and such. We had a Jetta a while back and the seats were fine tho the car was too small for me. Bugs are cute tho not much room anywhere... and I'm not familiar with the bigger VWs.
I'm going to check out a Mazda Tribute and probably keep looking if I don't like that "seat"!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:02 AM

Hi Mariaa ,
that Skoda is very much like a VW golf. It is much comfier and does not have bucket seats. The driver's seat can be elevated up or down and back and forwards and also the backrest does rake backwards as usual. It's the most adjustable car seat I have seen except the Jaguar XJ8.

It also has all the "of bells and whistles" that you could wish for including antiskid braking and air conditioning which I am not entirely sure if that is an optional extra. It's a 16 valve overhead cam, and gets away from the traffic lights very quickly in its automatic form. I'm not entirely sure what a SUV is?
Best wishes,
Alastair

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Banned

Alastair,
Wish I could test drive one of these cars! An SUV stands for Sports Utility Vehicle and you can see them at www.nissanusa.com (check out the Pathfinder SE, 2 wheel drive) and www.toyota.com (check out the Highlander) and www.ford.com (check out Expedition- a bigger SUV than the 2 previous tho is what my hub has).
These cars really are not economic on gas at all tho they are extremely popular here to pile in people, dogs, surfboards, whatever...
Old 01-04-2005, 06:12 PM

Mariaa,
I have a Subaru Forester and I love it. It's a smaller version of a SUV and does everything I want. All wheel drive all the time, ABS, fantastic in winter. And, no, I don't sell them...I'm on my second Forester and can't be happier with it. Have driven vans and the front wheel drive is a pain, skids on sand....
Old 01-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Banned

Ann,
I've seen one parked on my block. Looks pretty decent. Didn't check the seats out at all tho. I keep getting Suburu and Suzuki mixed up and consequently forget one or the other until I see either the Forester or the Grand Vitara and my mind once again clicks on the memory mode which fades in and out it seems~
My cousin has had a Forester for while now and swears by it, she lives in Hawaii. Living here in So.CA. there's only been one time I've seen it snow here tho it sure has been raining alot lately!!!