ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Current Surgeon will not do an ADR. He has done many many many in the past after previous fusions. But since this failed and feels the area is not "healthy enough" for it.

TBI is up North I am Houston.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Lauren, i would drive 2000 miles to make sure i get the best care.
TBI is one of the best spine centers in the US.
Do you really want to fool around with a mediocre surgeon because he's geographically desirable?
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 04-11-2014, 11:43 PM

Lauren,
I just want to say I'm so sorry this happened! I will be praying that you find a quick and safe solution. And thank you for keeping us updated so we can stay informed on you and your progress.

Best,
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015
Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 AM

Lauren,

Welcome to the forum, sorry for your situation that had you seek it out. I can't speak to the xray,but your post sounds urgent.
The doctors that I communicated with during my time deciding who to choose was all done while I was pretty much immobile. I didn't drive anywhere other than to get a MRI and get it on a CD. When you have that MRI on CD you can upload it as you did your xray and share it with just about any doctor around the world. If they don't want to bother to view your MRI that way, you can get software to "slice" the MRI into .gifs and send it to them in an email. Theres always help here for how to get images to doctors.
Some doctors I've heard named on the forum are Dr. Clavel, Dr. Bertagnoli, Dr. Bierstedt, Dr. Zeegers, Dr Ritter-Lang from Europe, all reachable via the internet. I'd suggest you Google their names to lead you to their web sites that provide contact info.
I'm going to ask those that had surgery in the US to help Lauren with US doctors and contact information.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:09 AM

Lauren,

What a miserable position. Being "blown off" and ignored is infuriating.

I don't recall anyone ever coming to this site with both ends of a ProDisc migrating in the same direction. Neither do I recall ever reading of such an incident. In the early days of the ProDisc, there was the problem of the plastic insert slipping out of place, which immediately mal-aligned the vertebrae and required immediate surgery. It sounds like Dr Cartwright doesn't believe that you're condition is quite as serious.

Good luck on getting in quick. I hope you heard something from his office yesterday.

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 AM

It's not that I want to settle for mediocre care, but I have a 4 yr old and 7 yr old. We have a comfortable living but I will not go in major debt over this. There is more to think about than just me.

I do think I will request a CD of my MRI and discuss it with my PCP to see if there is anyone else that she recommends in the area.

I can't and won't travel out of Houston for the surgery. I trust there are competent surgeons here that will be able to fix this situation. I cant throw my children's lives into upheaval. We moved from Florida and it is just us here in Texas. My in-laws will be coming out after the surgery to help my husband with the house and kids.

Thank you all for your kind words, it really does make it easier to vent about it to people that understand.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Red face Bad news found out suddenly ...

Hi I am Lauren, I am 36 I have had 2 cervical surgeries 2005 and 2010. The first surgery was a double discectomy w/ fusion. Never had problems with this one, still looks great on X-rays and MRI. However my second surgery in 2010 I had an ADR at C4. Everything seemed fine and as of 2 years ago it was perfect in place.

Well after deciding I would like to lose weight I started at the gym. Only doing cardio and added weight training.

Well on March 28th after working out with my trainer on my lats and shoulders, I began feeling weird pain in my L tricep. As the day went on it got worse and worse. The weekend was horrible. I went to the ER on Monday (3/31) afraid it was my heart. ER Dr. said it was a muscle spasm and that was it, I tried to explain I knew it wasn't. He referred me to a Ortho.

When I got home I called my PCP and asked her where she thought I should go. So I called KSF and made an appt with them for the following Weds (2 days later).

After they did some x-rays they could see what part of the problem was (picture below) My C4 AD has slipped out over 50% toward the front of my neck. Sometimes it rubs against my esophagus and makes it hard to swallow. They then made me see the Neuro-Ortho and he had me do an MRI. He doesn't think the pain, numbness, and tingling in my complete L arm isn't from the C4 but from my C7. But he wants the MRI to make sure.

So now I am in limbo waiting and waiting for info...... I hate this part....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Lauren,

Sigh... Talk about a double whammy. If it helps any ... Reminds me of 2008; six years after my second cervical fusion I started having symptoms again. After the MRI the surgeon that did the two fusions said that I needed THREE MORE! Long story short, I had a double ADR (M6) and have done very well (so far) over the last 4.5 years.

It's hard for our untrained eyes to tell from an x-ray, but the disc height of your C7/T1 does look as though it may be less than your C2/3 and C3/4. Given your unusual experience with ADR at C4/5 I'm guessing that you're not going to be open to ADR at C7/T1 if that level needs surgery?

I suppose that addressing C4/5 is on hold until a plan is formed for C7/T1? How long until you can get your MRI? And then the appointment to discuss it with your doctor?

Condolences and good luck. Please keep us posted.

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Hey Jeff - had the MRI a week ago from Friday (4/4) waiting on the Dr to review it and dictate into patient portal so I can hear the results.

And yes that is exactly what he is doing.

2005 - Double discectomy w/ fusion and cadaver bone at levels C5 & C6

2010 - ADR at level c4

2014 - ADR revision w/ Fusion & cadaver bones at C4
Old 04-12-2014, 10:02 AM

Lauren,

This must be very scary for you but this forum is a great place for support, and we are here for you!

In my journey in getting my cervical two level ADR approved by my insurance, I will be certain to keep your situation in mind as I talk to professionals and do research, and pass along any information that might help you.

Do you know what kind of disc it is? If you can contact the company that produced the disc and let them know of your situation they might be helpful in locating a DR with experience that can help you. It would be in their best interest to do so, anyway.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and I will be praying for you.
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015