ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:59 AM

Before I call up my new neurosurgeon (with whom I have an appointment on 3-MAY), I figured that maybe someone here could shed some generic light on the subject.

From my current Orthopedic Spine Surgeon, I have the following results / things to take to the neurosurgeon:

1. Recent MRI
2. Discogram results

(which by the way, say, if anyone is curious):

L3-L4: There was resistance noted at 1 mL of Isovue dye administration, with normal appearance of the disk and no pain generated.

L4-L5: There was firm resistance noted at 1.5 mL of Isovue dye administration, with central annular tear with central disk bulge with concordant pain that was exact in location and quality, and 9/10.

L5-S1: There was firm resistance noted at 1 mL of Isovue dye administration. There was mild internal disk derangement (I *knew* I was a deranged individual!) appreciated. Otherwise, normal appearing disk with no pain generated.

Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I would need to take?

(I am presuming, perhaps falsely, that there are some discogram picures of some sort as well that my current Orthopedic Spine Surgeon didn't provide to me. Would I need those as well?)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

David
Old 04-21-2005, 09:31 AM

David,
When I had my discogram, they immediately did a CT Scan also, if they did the same for you, you may want to bring the CT SCan films in also....
Lost all ADR Appeals w/ UHC PLIF Fusion L5-S1 on 5/17/05.
Pars Defect L3-L4
DDD L3-L4 L4-L5
3 LVL Fusion Scheduled 4/08
Old 04-21-2005, 09:41 AM

Interesting. I don't believe that they did a CT scan for me. All I recall was being in immense pain, finishing the prodcedure, and then getting some good drugs via IV to calm me down.

I guess I could talk to my Orthopedic Surgeon to confirm, but at the top of my Operative Report, it says:

"Operation(s) performed: Fluoroscopic-guided, contrast confirmed provocative discogram at the L3-4, L4-5, and L5-S1 levels"

Edit: This should be interesting. Neurosurgeon's office said that I should bring discogram films and CT films, yet Orthopedic Surgeon's office said that they didn't do any discogram or CT films to begin with. See what happen on 3-May, I guess.

Edit Edit: I hate to belabor a point, but how can the written report say:

"The provocative potion of the test was then administered with the above findings. Radiographic images were then obtained."

and this not mean that they have some sort of images in my file from the discogram?

David
Old 04-21-2005, 03:47 PM

Sounds like the Ortho is holding out on you....

Lost all ADR Appeals w/ UHC PLIF Fusion L5-S1 on 5/17/05.
Pars Defect L3-L4
DDD L3-L4 L4-L5
3 LVL Fusion Scheduled 4/08
Old 04-21-2005, 04:03 PM

They should make a copy of your discogram and doc's record free of charge. Also, it's good to have a copy of your back flexion x-rays. Best, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:35 AM

Yeah. I agree that doctor should have a discogram film. I think that either his employee is mistaken, or they don't want me to have it.

If they don't give me the right answer on the phone today, I am planning on going to their office later tonight and asking to physically be shown my records.

Added 22-MAY-2005 @ 11am EDT:

Edit: well, doesn't my life just get more and more interesting. I talked to my doctor's office again, and they swear up and down that:

a: They did not do any CT scans after the discogram.

b. They didn't produce any discogram films during the procedure.

c. It is somewhat common during this procedure to *not* produce any films at all.

Now, that in mind, I can't possibly provide films to a neurosurgeon referral that don't exist, but I have been told that the neurosurgeon requires them for the visit.

Should I just go to the appointment and see what happens, or should I call up the neurosurgeon's office beforehand and see what they say?

I don't want to waste my time or this neurosurgeon's time, but on the same hand, I really would like to try and talk to him about performing ADR on me.

Any thoughts?

David
Old 04-22-2005, 06:10 PM

Eight weeks ago I had a similar experience with CT and disco-x-rays. After the discogram last year, I immediately had the CT Scan. Months later I was shown the x-rays taken during the discogram during a consultation and I even "touched" them. When it came time to take disco-x-rays to the Neuro I was told that they unfortunately did not copy well and I would not be receiving them. My intuition told me not to press this issue. There did seem to be a need to know presence in the room. I went to Neuro with CT-scan and MRI and when asked about the x-rays, I just repeated why I did not have them, and that was the end of the matter. Maybe they do not like to part with this information if you are having similar experience. (JL)
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 04-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Administrator

David -- there's many questions floating about in your head, right?! Go to the doc and try to get some answers. Getting answers to questions is part of the giant process...and keep us posted please (this thread).

: )
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-23-2005, 01:29 AM

David,
You have a right to have copies of the discogram films, CT Scan, etc., and the reports. Mine were done in the hospital and at a pain center. I requested copies from them not the doctor and got what I requested for free mailed to me. I suppose the doctor could send the films directly to the Neurosurgeons office until you get your copies. I have a library of all my medical reports and films and get these as I go along.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 04-25-2005, 07:44 AM

I do have a copy of the discogram *report*.

*But*, I have been told repeately by someone on the dr's staff that he didn't do any discogram films, and he didn't do any CT films. No films exist. At all.

Honestly, I find that hard to believe, although (again), I was told several times that it is fairly common to not produce films at all (yeah, right).

Not sure what I should do, to be honest. I am preparing to go to the neurosurgeon's with the MRI films and the discogram report, but I am fairly certain that he either won't be able to tell me much, or will just refuse to see me at all.

(Edit: 25-APR-2005 @9:20EDT):

Well, I tried a different approach, and contacted the radiology department at the hospital where the discogram was done (I thought being sneaky might be helpful). Apparently my particular doctor *never* does CT scans, and *never* does any discogram films. The only thing available from the procedure itself was his dictations and the written report.

Wish I would have known this *before* I had the discogram done. Of late, I have even been thinking about contacting the AK about becoming an ADR patient (even though my mother is extremely afraid of me going to Deutschland to have it done, for some reason), but I doubt (unsure?) they would be able to help me w/o discogram films.

*sigh*. 3-MAY neurosurgeon appointment should be interesting (presuming it occurs at all).

David