ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 PM

lbp
yes you should be able to ge back to the insurance crack heads on the new charite with coating.
and when the prodisc is approved also.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 05-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I just want to throw this out there for food for thought. I have spoken with Dr. Yue's office about the FDA approval of pro disc and tehy expect it very soon. However, they were quick to inform me that even if the FDA approves the pro disc does not mean that the insurance companies will cover the surgery. They stated that the Charite was approved in 2004 and insurance companies are still not paying for the ADR surgeries (except one). Off to Germany 06-06-06.
Understood, but did they say 1 level or 2 level approval? I am also working with Dr. Yue, and I think (*opinion*) that 1 level approval will probably be very shortly (guess: 2 months, max). Obviously, this doesn't help me out much, but it should enable Dr. Yue to start with the 1 level part of the Activ-L study shortly (90 days after approval).

I would also theorize (as Dr. Yue's office states) that most insurance companies will be hesistant (at best) to cover Prodisc, once approved.

Therefore, for me, personally, I think that my best options are either:

Wait for Activ-L study --or--
Go to Germany

If I were to wait in the U.S. for multi-level Prodisc approval, and then try to get my insurance company to cover for it (UHC), I think I would be in for a long fight (multi-year, probably).

Food for thought...

Edit: For some reason, I keep waiting, thinking that the waiting will be worth it (unlike you, who has already made the decision that I wish I already had made)

David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I GUARANTEE that I will be covered if the Prodisc is approved this summer. YES GUARANTEE!

*Points to right field*

It will be my mission. I put myself in charge! I was a squeeky wheel! I pushed back when the insurance companies offered me inexperienced docs. I got a great doctor approved for my disc replacement surgery and all my doctor does is the Prodisc. He said he will implant the Prodisc as soon as it's approved. I'm totally optimistic, but keep in mind that I'm Workers Comp.

But if they'll approve me, they'll approve more

remember- June 2 is my bet. I'll call your two Neurontin and raise you 5 Oxycontin.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 PM

Well just read a blog from someone who is at the SAS conference stated that they will NOT announce the approval of Prodisc there POOH! Also stated not to worry all those in the KNOW state it will be SOON!
Dont know about you guys but I am so sick and tired of hearing that word that I could literally lose my cookies when I read that!
I am not good at bets so not even gonna put my drugs trying to guess on this one.
Just wanted to pass that info along for what it is worth.
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 05-13-2006, 05:36 AM

well the h!!l with it im going to start contact with pro-spine.ive had it with waiting and going to dr b has way more advanages then the fda study. the biggest being he has more options if needed. and that gives me more peice of mind.
just my 2 cents.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 05-13-2006, 08:43 AM

What is taking them so long to decide? Workers comp have already approved this surgery for me, and now they are just waiting on the FDA's approval.
I was told it was supposed to be approved in the first 2 weeks of May. This is so frustrating. I have been waiting much too long.

injured August 2000
ddd L5, S1

Injured 8-24-2000
DDD L5-S1
DDD C-4,5-5,6
Epidural steroid injections lumbar & cervical
x-rays, mri's, etc.
waiting for Prodisc for L5-S1, and Prodisc C for two levels on C-4,5-5,6
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Increasingly, by the moment I live without an epidural steroid injection bathing my spinal nerves and my back out w/stabbing or sharp pain with each movement.. and no FDA approval or liklihood of WC auth for ADR surgeries proposed (plus my not so hot BMD scores).. I feel that now is the time to make my move, not 5 years from now re my spine..

And those of you who cyber or personally know me, know what I'm thinking...
Old 05-13-2006, 12:15 PM

yes mariaa
agreed im going to start the process in contacting br b.
as it sounds you r also
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

Need $...living like this for so long has taken a financial toll~
Old 05-14-2006, 09:38 AM

well enough has been enough i sent the email today for contact with pro-spine.
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 05-14-2006, 01:43 PM

My WC will not cover Dr. B in Germany. If they do, it would have to be by court order. My WC did approve Dr. Goldstein to do my ADR and I heard from 2 sources that the FDA will approve in June. I agree with some of you who can't wait any longer which is why I'm waiting for the Prodisc rather than the Maverick. If I really had time, I would wait for the nucleus injections but that's years away....
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC