ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Default 2 Weeks from ADR (Freedom Lumbar Disc Trial)

Hi everyone,

I am a new member, and have really appreciated this site. I am scheduled to participate in the Freedom Lumbar Disc FDA trial on March 26, and have two goals from membership on this site. First, I would love to learn all I can about what to expect in the surgical/healing process. I don't really feel like I know what I am getting into from a recovery perspective, although I do trust the medical advice I am getting. Second, I woud like to share my recovery experience with others to whatever degree is helpful. I won't know until I wake up from surgery whether I have gotten the ProDisc or the Freedom Lumbar, but I'm happy to provide whatever info I can that might help others with the decision.

For background, here is my story. I have been struggling with severe lower back pain since October 2007 (lifting injury). MRI shows herniation at L5-S1. I tried PT, and 3 epidural injections, and it has grown increasingly painful. Discogram was inconclusive. It showed that all other discs were non-pain generators, however, they could not access L5-S1 to evaluate it. My initial orthopedic surgeon ultimately recommended fusion over ADR, but acknowledged that he had no direct experience doing ADRs, and relatively light experience in fusions (he is a young doc). So, I asked for some names for second opinions, which he happily provided. One of those names was Dr. Zigler at the Texas Back Institute. I saw Zigler, and he concluded that I was a good candidate for ADR and that in light of my age (36), he felt it was preferrable to fusion. However, he advised that my insurance company (United) would likely not pay for it, and offered me a spot in the Freedom Lumbar Disc FDA trials. I was accepted, and scheduled for surgery on 3/26. I have my psych screening on 3/16.

I am worried that I may not be making the right decision. Honestly, it is not incapacitating right now--although it is severely limiting. I can still pursue normal life tasks, althought they are markedly more painful. However, I have always been a very active person (hiking, scuba diving, cycling), and I can do none of these things now. At 36, I don't want to give up this part of my life, and I can't imagine picking up a toddler with this back (note: I have none yet, but I hope for them in the future). Ultimately, my fear is that my pain could become worse or incapacitating altogether if surgery doesn't go well. I know these are the kinds of questions we all struggle with, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had similar concerns, and if they had the surgery, whether it turned out as they hoped.

[note: Harrison, I'm not sure how to add a signature--would you direct me to the proper spot for doing that or instructions on the site? Thank you!]

Susanne
L5-S1 injury 2007
3 Epidural injections and PT 2008
ADR Surgery Scheduled 3/26/00 (FDA Trial)
Old 03-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivantx View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a new member, and have really appreciated this site. I am scheduled to participate in the Freedom Lumbar Disc FDA trial on March 26, and have two goals from membership on this site. First, I would love to learn all I can about what to expect in the surgical/healing process. I don't really feel like I know what I am getting into from a recovery perspective, although I do trust the medical advice I am getting. Second, I woud like to share my recovery experience with others to whatever degree is helpful. I won't know until I wake up from surgery whether I have gotten the ProDisc or the Freedom Lumbar, but I'm happy to provide whatever info I can that might help others with the decision.

For background, here is my story. I have been struggling with severe lower back pain since October 2007 (lifting injury). MRI shows herniation at L5-S1. I tried PT, and 3 epidural injections, and it has grown increasingly painful. Discogram was inconclusive. It showed that all other discs were non-pain generators, however, they could not access L5-S1 to evaluate it. My initial orthopedic surgeon ultimately recommended fusion over ADR, but acknowledged that he had no direct experience doing ADRs, and relatively light experience in fusions (he is a young doc). So, I asked for some names for second opinions, which he happily provided. One of those names was Dr. Zigler at the Texas Back Institute. I saw Zigler, and he concluded that I was a good candidate for ADR and that in light of my age (36), he felt it was preferrable to fusion. However, he advised that my insurance company (United) would likely not pay for it, and offered me a spot in the Freedom Lumbar Disc FDA trials. I was accepted, and scheduled for surgery on 3/26. I have my psych screening on 3/16.

I am worried that I may not be making the right decision. Honestly, it is not incapacitating right now--although it is severely limiting. I can still pursue normal life tasks, althought they are markedly more painful. However, I have always been a very active person (hiking, scuba diving, cycling), and I can do none of these things now. At 36, I don't want to give up this part of my life, and I can't imagine picking up a toddler with this back (note: I have none yet, but I hope for them in the future). Ultimately, my fear is that my pain could become worse or incapacitating altogether if surgery doesn't go well. I know these are the kinds of questions we all struggle with, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had similar concerns, and if they had the surgery, whether it turned out as they hoped.

[note: Harrison, I'm not sure how to add a signature--would you direct me to the proper spot for doing that or instructions on the site? Thank you!]

Susanne
L5-S1 injury 2007
3 Epidural injections and PT 2008
ADR Surgery Scheduled 3/26/00 (FDA Trial)

Susanne,

I struggled with my decision right up until the night before my surgery. I'm sure everyone who went thru this had the same concerns as you. I had two levels and I knew that a two level fusion wasn not the answer. I was unable to go back to work as an airline pilot being that I was on a lot of opiates for the pain. Also, the two level fusion has a lousy track record and would more than likely have still be on opiates. I took a chance with the ADR. I was in a whole lot of pain after the ADR surgery and thought I had made a bad decision. However, after about 6 months It pretty much all went away. I got off the drugs and went back to work. I probably could do a lot of things, but I am careful now. I can sit with no problem, rake the leaves and mow the lawn and ride a bike.

Call people on the phone and talk with them. Read and research everything and then make a decision. I wish you a successful outcome.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work
Old 03-14-2009, 04:51 PM

Default adr??

Pre-op nerves are completely normal but if its more than that have a look at all the pros and cons. I don't think there are any ever guarantees but I am glad that I had my surgery even though it didn't last very long before needing further surgery. I too was in my 30's and not willing to give up everything.

It took alot of pt (6 - 12 months) but I returned to some disability sports and skiing. That all stopped 18 months ago so I had a good few years. I can still distance swim arms only and am hoping to have some improvement after my fusion. The attitude you have to putting work into your recovery can make alot of difference.

alison x
2007 L5/S1 Facet deterioration, Loss of disc height.
2002 March - ADR Charite - L4/5, L5/S1
2000 Broadbased disc prolapses L4/5, L5/S1
Old 03-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racheleddie View Post
I will be having my ADR done at Kaiser in San Diego. I called surgery scheduling today and they said they would call me in 4 months to schedule a date...I am so disappointed...I cannot stand this pain anymore..it has so negatively affected my life. I just have to keep that positive outlook that everything will be good again and I too will one day be pain free again!

Best of luck to all of you out there facing ADR surgery.

Hezeronek, I see that your surgery is scheduled in Germany. Does that make you at all nervous to go abroad for surgery? We were just discussing that at dinner tonight. How about payment...do you have to pay for that out of pocket, or will your insurance reimburse you for the costs. Best of luck...I am sure we will correspond again between now and our surgery dates (aka new lives).

Ahhhh, Kaiser... I used to have them when I lived in Cali. They are notorious for putting things off! Although, they do have decent insurance coverage. I'm sorry they're making you wait four months to schedule! You may want to ask them why it's going to take four months... and if you feel you can't wait, keep on your doc about it. Make sure he understands exactly how much pain you are in, and see if he can pull some strings for you. Or at least get you something to keep you more comfortable while you have to wait.

As far as going abroad to have surgery, I'm actually quite comfortable with my choice. (Now, at least.) At first glance, the idea of having a major surgery done outside the US can be quite scary. There are just too many unknowns, and regulations are different in each country. When it came down to making the decision to go abroad for ADR, my experience working in the medical field was invaluable.

I did a lot of research before I chose my surgeon, and made sure he was reputable. I read his research papers in the scientific journals and talked to other patients of his that I found on these forums, and consulted with handfuls of US surgeons. Without actually going over there first, I think I have a pretty good picture of what it will be like. Of course, that remains to be seen. But all in all, I truly believe the Germans are milestones ahead of us Americans when it comes to spinal medicine. And my surgeon is one of the most experienced I could find. It will be a different experience in a foreign hospital, no doubt. But I am not worried about the quality of care I will receive over there.

To answer your last question, my insurance generally does not cover lumbar ADRs. I have BC/BS. Getting pre-approval for payment has been all but impossible. They offered to pay for a fusion, but I wasn't "gunta have none of dat" if I could help it. LOL. So, yes, I will be paying out of pocket for this surgery. And yes, I will continue to fight BC/BS for reimbursement. My life has just gotten to the point where I can't wait for this any longer. I'm not willing to put off living for the sake of my insurance carrier. Once I have my body, I can earn the money back.

I wish you the best of luck! Keep checking back, and let us know how you're doing! And if you ever wanna talk on the phone, just send me a PM. Take care of yourself!

9/07 - MRI - herniation and moderate DDD L5-S1

10/07 - Lost job, unable to work

12/07 - PT x 2, not much help

2/08 - ESI #1, 2 day relief

3/08 - ESI #2 and LP, no relief, had CSF leak
3/08 - blood patch, sneezed & dislodged needed another

1/09 - MRI shows 10x9x8 left posterior-lateral herniation L5-S1 with nerve impingement, DDD worse

2/09 - ADR scheduled 5/8/09 with Dr. B in Bogen, Germany
Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 PM

Default Final Have a Surgery Date - June 12th

I finally have a surgery date, June 12th. I am a bit nervous about it, but at the same time excited that I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. Any advise, or things that I should consider before my surgery in less than 2 weeks! I will post after the surgery as I am sure I will have tons of questions!
PT, Traction, MRIs, CT Scan, Epidural Injections, Discogram
Herniated disc at L4-L5, spinal stenosis
Slight DDD and bulging discs at T6-8
Surgery June 12, 2009 - Scheduled for ADR, ended up with Fusion