ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Default New member: marcus webmail

Hello Everyone

I live in Lancashire, England and I'm under Mr E R Ross at Salford's Hope Hospital.

I am waiting to have an Axiomed Freedom Disc put into my L5/S1. Although Mr Ross has been involved in the trials of that disc for many years unfortunately due to the fact that I had a discectomy on the same disc 20 years ago I was not suitable for trails. I am therefore awaiting impatiently for the MRHA to approve the operation here in the UK.

I am also awaiting treatment/surgery on my neck although the various surgeons cannot seem to agree on what needs to be done.

My problems appear to be genetic as my mother had a lower back operation and 2 discs in her neck fused back in 1980 and before that my granddad had treatment in the 60s for neck problems although modern techniques were unheard of then.

I would welcome hearing anything anyone else can tell me about Mr Ross, as I have been waiting for a number of years for treatment and don't know whether my trust is misplaced or not.

Can I end by saying what a wonderful site this is, and what a positive effect finding it and learning so much has had on me and my confidence to start taking responsibility for managing my own healthcare as opposed to assuming the doctors are doing all they can and leaving them to it.

Take care
Marcus
Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default Welcome, Marcus

Marcus, it was nice talking to you recently via Skype...and thx for the pointers on the Webcam. That was helpful.

I don't know much about Mr. Ross, other than the occasional reference to his work from various posts; e.g.:

Is this goodbye Charitee in the UK
http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5666

Do try to get copies of all your imaging. I know that may be a problem for UK patients, depending on the point of care. Why would the NHS make it difficult for patients to get their imaging!?

Any way, good luck with your next steps.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Thank you Harrison

Yes I too enjoyed our skype chat and learned a lot, for which I am grateful.

I will indeed see if its possible to get my hands on my scans, discography results etc as soon as the surgeon is around again.

Thank you too for the link, its appreciated.

Cheers
Marcus
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Red face Records request - at least the legal stuff

Hi Marcus,

You may already know your legal rights, but check this out:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.asp...categoryid=160

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have a legal right to access your health records. If you want to see your health records, you can ask at your GP surgery, and arrange a time to come in and read them. You don't have to give a reason for wanting to see your records.

If you want to see your health records, you may be asked to submit your request in writing. It's a good idea to state the dates of the records that you want to see - for example, from 2000-2003 - and to send the letter by recorded delivery. You should also keep a copy of your letter for your records. You will usually receive a response to your request within 21 days, although the law states that your hospital, or surgery, has up to 40 days to respond.
Hospital records

As well as having a copy of your health records, your GP surgery will also have a summary of any hospital tests, or treatment, that you have had. Any hospitals where you have had treatment, or tests, will also hold records.
To see your hospital health records, you will have to contact your local Hospital Trust. See the 'further information' section below to find the contact details for your local trust.

Your request to see your records will be forwarded to the health records manager. The manager will decide whether your request will be approved. Your request will usually only be refused if your records manager, GP, or other health professional believes that information in the records is likely to cause you, or another person, serious harm.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Default Thank you again Harrison

This is excellent, many thanks for finding this! The DVD arrived btw, I am just having a rough couple of days but am really looking forward to seeing it soon. Also my physiotherapist backed up what you said about my being able to access my records so I will be writing shortly asking for a copy of everything.

Thanks again for your help and support.

PS I didn't get an email warning me of another reply to this thread so I must go and check my settings.

Marcus