ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 AM

Default Newbie

HI,, I am glad I found this sight to help me make a decision with my surgery. I have a Cervical herniated disk c4-c5 that is inpinging. I have been approved for the ADR but havent found much on the web until i came across this sight. I am so excited at first to do anything for pain but now i am waivering back to not having it. Can someone give me insite on what I am up for and the outcome of 1 level, how long is the procedure. I am also concern about finding a good surgeon to do it. The surgeon from UC DAVis said he has only done a few cause most insurance don't cover it. I dont know what should i look for in a surgeon to see good reviews on there outcome? Work comp is ready for me to move forward so i can linger too long in thinking about what i am going to do. This also puts me in a awkward situation of rushing into something i am not quite comfortable with.

Any advice or experience would greatly be appreciated
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM

Kit,

Welcome, and congratulations on getting worker's compensation to cover ADR. That doesn't happen often.

The surgery will probably take 1-2 hours, with you up and walking around later the same day, or certainly the next. Though it varies greatly from patient to patient, you should be pretty much "back to normal" after six weeks (it was two for me).

Before allowing your current surgeon to perform the ADR, which I'm assuming is a ProDisc, I would strongly encourage you to check out his/her record with that device. Some surgeons produce a consistent output of excellent outcomes, while others are less successful. A mal-placed ProDisc, as some members of this forum can testify, can leave you in worse condition than before surgery. UC Davis has been mentioned a number of times on this forum, and if you'll use the search feature at the top of the page, you might be able to identify a surgeon there with a proven ProDisc record. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of that exercise.

Please keep us posted, and good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Hi Kit, please tell us a bit more about your spine problem. When did it start? Also, pls see the first topic in this forum:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/

Let me know if you need help with your signature.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 PM

I started having problems back in 2006 with neck, shoulder, upper back and arm pain. Every doctor I would go to would say I had a sprain/strain neck and back. I was never given any mri or xray because work comp didn't want to up out the pocket. I knew the symptoms I was having was more than just sprain/strain. So finally after 2 yrs of pain. I paid out of pocket for an MRI and it was confirm I had a central and left paracentral broad-based disk protrusion, indenting the left side of teh thecal sac with mild to moderate marrowing of teh central canal on the left side as well as the left neural foramina at c5-c6 and mild facet arthiritis at c4-c5 causing lateral recess stenosis.

I have had 2 surgeons recommend surgery 1 in person and the other by review of medical records/films. What concern me is the 1 surgeon I seen in person could not answers all my questions that concern me for example How bad is my condition. I don't understand what all the medical terminology means. I have been able to manage and relieve some pain if I don't perform the duties that cause the pain for example sitting for long periods of time or doing repetitive movement of my arms. Its hard not do when most duties and jobs require that.

I havent been able to find any info on the surgeon who wants to do the procedure. He did say he has not done alot because most insurance don't cover it but as far as givng me a number he did he not. I just don't want to make a decision I will reqret yet at the same time it would be nice to relieve most of my pain if it would work.

Sorry to rumble I just don't know where else to go. I also have work comp on the other hand wondering why I have not had the surgery yet. Although it has been approve I dont know if they will continue to wait till I make up my mind. After all this is a claim from 2006 with no resolution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit123 View Post
->Cervical herniated disk c4-c5 that is inpinging.
->approved for the ADR

->surgeon from UC DAVis said he has only done a few cause most insurance don't cover it.

->Work comp is ready for me to move forward
Please make an appointment with:

Dr. Praveeen Mummaneni
Associate Professor, Neurosurgery
Co-Director, UCSF Spine Center
Director, Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery

He is on the UCSF web site.LINK
Your surgeon from UC Davis will be able to forward your reports. Please bring everything in the way of printed reports you have, doctor visits, MRI radiologist reports, ...

Dr. Mummameni has done a few Cervical ADR/TDR's (more than a few).
I think he grew up in Southern California.

The fellow also publishes a bit, PubMed.link
Do you have time to watch a video ?

Dr. Mummameni speaks on the following, including a short segment on cervical results from ADR/TDR :

Low Back Pain: Causes, Conservative Treatment and Surgical Intervention
Video.Link 89 minutes