ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:17 PM

Hello I am new here, Nice to have found your forum since I am having disc replacement and fusion on the 18th of October.

Well after my latest discogram, my doctor told me that I did not have to have a fusion, and that I could get my L5 disc replaced. Now they are saying that my L4 is very bad and needs to be replaced. You can only have 1 replaced disk, so this means that my L5 has to be fused with metal and screws, and the disc above that, L4, has to be replaced.

Fusion sucks. You have to be worked on from the front and back...

I'm so stressed out right now. a fusion and disc replacement and I'm 28 with a newborn.

I was hurt back in Febuary when 200 pounds fell on me throwing me off of a ladder, on to my back. Been on workers comp since then... After practically every test: EMG's, MRI's, Discograms.. and treatment such as therapy, cortazone (sp?) injections, nerve/pain meds.. There is nothing left for me except surgery. I just want the pain to stop.. and the pain killers, I want to get off of them bad ;(
Old 10-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Vino, I know that your surgery is very close, but the 2-level ADR question has to do with how much experience your doctor has, what his hospital will allow him to do, whether or not your insurance will pay, etc...

It does not have to do with availability of 2-level ADR procedures or appropriateness of medical care.

(WC can really make things difficult too.)

Whatever you do... please keep us posted, and... GOOD LUCK!

Mark
Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Vino,

Welcome to our community! (Sigh) going through the steps of an accurate & helpful diagnosis takes a lot of time and energy.

As you have started to see, finding a surgeon that has the experience and capabilites in multi-level ADRs is actually a challenge here in the U.S. Some docs can do "off label" or even compassionate use, (two levels) but one usually jumps through many hoops to get the "planets to align." It's a symptom of a bureaucracy that is gridlocked (controlled) by insurance, lobbyists, business, the FDA, etc. Call it healthcare rationing, or something worse...but that's the state of ADR in the U.S. today.

Take the time to read the posts in the various forums, I encourage you to network among patients across the U.S. & world who share their thoughts & experiences. Feel free to email or PM them as well, most will repond in time -- it is a devoted and caring community.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the kind words. My doctor is Thomas Dunn out of Las Vegas, NV. He is a great spine surgeon. He has been highly reccomended by many doctors and friends. You can find him through the Cherite` site in Nevada but I have his info here for those in Vegas.

Tom Dunn
Desert Orthopaedic Center

2800 E. Desert Inn Rd. Suite100
Las Vegas, NV 89121
Phone: 702-731-1616

I will report back soon.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 10-10-2005, 10:24 PM

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum! I too was injured at work and dealt with the workers' compensation red tape in CA. Why do you have to have a 1 level ADR and 1 level fusion? Is it an issue of coverage or purely a medical recommendation. Do you have the ability to request another opinion. I saw 4 orthopaedic surgeons before the final approval for my ADR. It may be possible to request a utilization review of your case and/or request an appeal to your state workers' compensation board. I did so and my underwriting insurer had to comply with the state certified orthopaedic surgeon. Also, check out my post regarding appeals process guidebook.
Stay strong!
P.S. I love your username, my husband is an assistant winemaker.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 PM

Hi Chris,

To one fellow Nevadan to another and also someone that totaled their disc falling off a ladder, my heart goes out to you and your family.

I was dealt the fusion card and almost took it but something in side of me said no. I canceled 3 surgeries before I took the plunge so what I am saying is make sure your are ready completely ready to go forward with this surgery. If you are not take the time you need to truly research all your options.

There are many people out there with 2 level ADR and if your doctor can�t do it then you should find someone that can. If this is what you truly want for your life and your family. You can only make this decision once. You may PM me anytime if you would like to know more about what I when through and why I chose the ProDisc over the Charite.

God Bless

PS: The ProDisc will be released by the FDA soon and will be for 2-levels. For some its not soon enough.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 10-12-2005, 05:10 AM

The very last item on page 2 in the FAQs is a list of doctors in the USA that do ADR. I hope that might help you
best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

Hi Chris,
I'm WC too..wanting to go to Germany for surgery tho going to have to settle for CA. doc so trying to make rounds here seeing who feels right to do the surgery. So far most propose 2 or possibly 3 level ADR pending 3rd discogram. My regular OSS of 8 years wants to do a combo ADR and fusion(L5S1)and I don't want the fusion part...

Good luck to you with whatever you decide~sounds like you greatly trust your surgeon and are going to go with that decision tho know that you can get an opinion even by sending your films to other very reputable world renowned spine surgeons as to whether fusion is necessary at any level or not...

I think with my OSS it's a comfort zone in terms of doing the fusion at L5S1 .. I could be wrong..tho I'm not comfortable with that decision and other ADR surgeons have offered opinions of ADR at all levels~